project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
20 May 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:34 PM   #1
Shovel
Supporting Member

Default [Concept] More Technicals

Hi all

So i had some inspiration recently, while playing a few rounds of PR as an insurgent. Currently, the most powerful vehicle for the insurgents is the technical, but even that can be beat by most Blufor vehicles. Now, similar to the addition of the SPG techie, I had a few ideas for technical variants that I might begin work on.

So, firstly, a rocket-pod techie:
This idea came up in Reddeath's Benghazi map thread btw.
The rocket pod techie would be essentially a normal techie without the 50cal, and with the edition of one of the attack helicopters' hydra missile launchers. Each techie would have about 20 missiles.
This would be useful in a number of ways. First of all, it would be a powerful weapon for the insurgents that could be used against many targets by aiming at the and firing directly. It could also be used as a type of makeshift artillery, similar to that vehicle in USI that launches missiles over a long range.

Second, a ZPU techie:
This has been an idea that I have had for a long time, and would love to see in PR. This techie would have a ZPU-4 quad AA cannon on the back of it, allowing it to serve as a mobile AA vehicle for the insurgents, something most other factions have. Now, currently, the ZPU is a bit overpowered, and would have to be toned down a bit to be put on the back of a techie.

The implementation of this would not be too hard, and I am willing to do it. The weapons an the back of the technical do not exist in the actual model, but are added later in the editor. I would have to strip the rocket pod from a helicopter and the ZPU from it's platform, and make those into "weapons" in the editor. I would then be able to attach them to the techie, add a bit of code, and they would be done, correct? If so, this is not so complicated and I would be exited to start work on this.

But first, I am interested in the community/DEV reaction. Is this something that is worth making? Has it been attempted before, etc?

Thanks,
Shovel

Shovel009
Shovel is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:41 PM   #2
Reddeath
Default Re: [Concept] More Technicals

I think it would be epic and would definitely make its way to my map if it ever gets finished. I think insurgent factions could always use more unconventional weapons.

I support this.

Ingame: # SuperBagel
Reddeath is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:52 PM   #3
[R-DEV]Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

How come this topic was posted in offtopic? Moved to PR:BF2 Suggestions.

This has been talked about quite a bit in the past and there are a few key reasons why this hasn't happened yet although not going to go into full detail on them.

The rocket-pod techie iirc was me who actually suggested that idea in the Benghazi topic, or at least said how it could be done pretty easily etc. The problem with it is that it was only really common in Libya. Outside there, it hasn't been seen very much afaik. We really do need a Libya map to have it and it would be pretty easy to make.

EDIT: it was me as I thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
Well, a BMP is basically a light/medium tank and I would look into giving the MEC some other APCs like the MT-LBs etc. Also for the rebels I would give them many more techies, epically more 50cal ones as I'm sure you have seen on TV, there entire force is basically made up of them. Would be also an idea to try and get someone to make a techie with an aircraft's rocket pod attached to it
Quote:
Pretty good video here of one in action: Video: Libyan rebels wage war with homemade rocket launcher - Telegraph

Dose seem to be used as very basic arty, but you could also have the angle the player fires it at adjustable so you could fire it dead ahead basically?

As for modelling it, no need tbh, all that really needs to happen is lifting the rocket pod off of one of the many Russian aircraft we have that uses it. Best one would be the new Mi-8/17's rocket pod
http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f196...elicopter.html

Then you would need to model a mount for it on the technical then whack it on the back much like I did with the SPG-9, code it, job done

Here are some different ones here if your interested but still think the aircraft rockets pod is best: Mad Max Reality: Video of Libya rebels firing rockets on desert frontline - Videos - MetaTube

This ones pretty funny

AA Techies is also something that has been talked about a lot in the pub forums, and even in the dev forums. Main problem is the power of this weapon but we (the devs) have a few ideas of how/where it could be used, but not really fitting for most current maps but might be required in the future.

As for the easy implementation part, its not so straight forward. the Rocket pod is but if we where going to do it, we wouldn't use any old one, we would use a nice one, as I mentioned in the Benghazi topic, the one from the new Mil-8 series. The ZPU-4 is a bit of a tricky one is its actually very big and not easy to mount on the techi, especially with the massive poll sticking up though the middle of it that the MG etc is mounted on
But we do have a few ideas of how this could be done, although we would prefer to have a less powerful AA cannon to put on the back as the ZPU-4 with 4 guns is seriously powerful, so if anyone is willing to make one that would be very useful

Last edited by [R-DEV]Rhino; 02-17-2012 at 11:01 PM..
Old 02-18-2012, 01:17 AM   #4
SamEEE

What about a double DhSK?

SamEEE is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:19 AM   #5
[R-DEV]Rhino
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamEEE View Post
What about a double DhSK?
Interesting, I don't think that has been considered for a Technical before. Got any refs by any chance?

[R-DEV]Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:23 AM   #6
SamEEE

Quote:
Interesting, I don't think that has been considered for a Technical before. Got any refs by any chance?
Nope - typically I don't think it is done IRL. But figured it wouldn't be too hard to do.

Also a PKM mounted on a pintle mount would be a useful amount of firepower for anti infantry.

ZU-23-2 on the back of a flatbed truck would work quite well too. Would only be able to be fired backwards so it would be tricky to use for infantry rape.

I could have a bash at modelling something like that if you'd like. Would probably start with "Gary" as a base - put a flatbed on it and then figure how to put a ZU-23-2 on the back.

Last edited by SamEEE; 02-18-2012 at 01:31 AM..
Old 02-18-2012, 01:35 AM   #7
[R-DEV]Rhino
Supporting Member

[QUOTE=SamEEE;1734750]Also a PKM mounted on a pintle mount would be a useful amount of firepower for anti infantry.[quote]

Not sure what you mean, do you mean replacing the HMG with the PKM, or the LMG on the front with the PKM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamEEE View Post
ZU-23-2 on the back of a flatbed truck would work quite well too. Would only be able to be fired backwards so it would be tricky to use for infantry rape.
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_8FSiOphVdZg/Sv...Technical1.jpg

I could have a bash at modelling something like that if you'd like. Would probably start with "Gary" as a base - put a flatbed on it and then figure how to put a ZU-23-2 on the back.
hehe, pretty much what we have been thinking too as a truck is big, slow and hard to maneuver, although wasn't considering Gary

Main thing we need is a decent, less powerful AA gun like the ZU-23-2, although would need to confirm with the MAs which one would be best so if you or someone else was up for making that, that would be awesome

[R-DEV]Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:41 AM   #8
SamEEE

Pretty much all I was saying was that there is a pretty big discrepancy between a DSKH and a PKM in terms of infantry support vs. wrecking everything ability

I thought that there could be some more lightly armed technicals that could be spread about each map so you could have the stable base of fire that the back of a Ute offers but without as much wrecking everything ability that the DSKH. For balance; etc. In terms it would be more of a usable infantry support. The CHUG CHUG CHUG sound of 14.5mm seems to attract a lot of attention - not to mention it has massive tracers.

Regarding the ZU-23-2 - i'll see what I can do. I'm certainly no expert but I do know quite a bit about the weapon system.

SamEEE is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:20 AM   #9
SGT.Ice

Unless as proposed above with a light machine gun on the technicals I don't think more are necessarily needed. Insurgency has already been watered down, instead of technicals why not restore the RPGs? I see no reason why there's such a need for more cars for insurgents who in most of the maps likely don't have them everywhere opposed to RPG's which they do and are able to fly much farther and straighter than they do due to nerfing.
SGT.Ice is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:20 AM   #10
ToonS
Supporting Member

I was going to post up a couple of pics that I'd found in regards to ZU's mounted in techies, but in the link bellow is a bunch that are form the Libyan conflict.

http://milinme.files.wordpress.com/2...iblrd-1106.jpg

I will post this one though, its still on topic, but how relaxed is the dude in the foreground? Nothin's getting in the way of shisha time!

ToonS is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
concept, rocket pod, technicals, zpu