project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > PR:BF2 Support
25 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Support Help and support regarding PR:BF2 installation and in-game issues

Old 02-14-2012, 02:06 PM   #1
MosquitoPower
Default pr.exe Has Stopped Working Error In Loading Splash-screen.

Hello Project Reality community,

I have been playing BF series for a long time. There's a lot of reasons I play BF. I like the vehicular combat and teamwork.
I heard about Project Reality about 4-months ago. At first, I thought PR is a serious awesome work, but 'too' realistic. I mean, like Arma. After several weeks, Battlefield 3 came out. It wasn't offering big maps, teamwork, rock-paper-scissors gameplay. It was dumbed down for consoles and casual players. So I've returned to BF roots... and decided to give a chance to PR.

Every went perfect, done all downloading (PR:BF2 v0.97 Full) in three days (since I have 1Mbps dl speed, I downloaded 1 one part per day, I started downloading and dl was finished when I came back from school.). My BF2 already had 1.41 and 1.5 patches working. So I just installed PR to my BF2 root folder. Installation went fine with no problems, I started to read the manual (Props to who written the manual, completely enlighten me about PR. Awesome work, it also hyped me. ). Then, I started PR. Splash screen opened, along with 'pr.exe has stopped working' error. They show up in exact time when I double-click shortcut. So I tried the most basic solution, running as administrator. Nothing changed, still got that error. I tried to open PR from it's own folder, nothing changed, same error. So I searched up on forums (yes I did it, almost looked in every single thread about PR not working in W7 in 10 pages.). I tried every single solution that people suggested, disabling Mumble overlay, reinstalling PR, rebooting, running as administrator, deleting Video.con file in Battlefield 2 folder in Documents, deleting whole Battlefield 2 folder in Documents, tried to look up on YouTube, there weren't any helpful videos. That error was still there and it has to go.

So, my question is, is there a way to solve my problem? Many thanks in advance, because PR looks pretty solid.

Also, here's my system specifications:
i5 750 @2,67GHz
HD5770 1GB
8GB Kingston 1333MHz
ASUS P55 (can't remember the rest.) Motherboard.

Note: Sorry for wall-of-text, I like writing! I also tried to be specific as much as I can to making you help me more easily.
MosquitoPower is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:56 PM   #2
[R-DEV]BloodyDeed
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Default Re: pr.exe Has Stopped Working Error In Loading Splash-screen.

Welcome to the world of PR, glad to see you on our forum
You won't regret joining us...but lets fix your problem first.

Have you tried this thread since you are using an AMD graphic card?
http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f27-...d-working.html

[R-DEV]BloodyDeed is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:20 PM   #3
[R-COM]rushn
Support Technician
Supporting Member

Also make sure you delete the bf2 folder in user doc and not in libraries

as I made that mistake before and couldnt figure out the solution

also make sure you run bf2 before pr after deleting
[R-COM]rushn is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:42 PM   #4
[R-COM]LITOralis.nMd
Lead Support Technician
Supporting Member

Quick questions:
What version of Windows? 32 bit or 64 bit?
Does normal BF2 work in multiplayer?
The windows user account you use has Administrator rights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Twisted Helix View Post
One thing to bear in mind is that you can get the PR.exe has stopped working message if its BF2 that has problems launching. It will still give that message because the PR.exe encounters the error when it tries to launch BF2. So check if vanilla BF2 works as well or not, as that can help narrow down the problem considerably.

For example ... a BF2 that is NOT installed from an administrator account ... will be unable to launch properly , but will give the pr.exe has stopped working message.

In fact , if you get the splash screen then it is highly likely that there is something wrong when it tries to launch BF2 as that is what it does right next. (also make sure your profile directories are existing ... that is FIRST before launching PR , launch vanilla BF2 and recover your profiles, then shut down and launch PR)

First, the easy solution is to make sure you installed and run PR.exe and BF2.exe as Administrator. Find your bf2.exe location (in your program files/BF2 folder or in steam apps folder) , right click BF2.exe, go to compatibilty, and set to run as administrator.
Go to the BF2/mod/PR folder and right click PR.exe , and right click , go to compatibilty, and set to run as administrator.

Second solution is this:
Usually this problem is a result of a problem with your Video Card Drivers... and this is the solution I offer:

Do this:
Quote:
Hi,

? Did you make any recent changes to your system?

The error for the Catalyst Control Center is related to the Graphics card installed on your computer, you may check with the manufacturer if there are any updated drivers for the graphics card which needs to be installed to take care of the issue.

Method 1:

I would suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the Catalyst Control Center application. To do so refer to the steps provided below:

Step 1:

Uninstall the device from Device Manager.

a) Open Device Manager by clicking the Start button, then type Device Manager in the search box.‌

b) If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

c) Look for the device under Display Adaptor (uninstall both ATI device and generic graphic drivers) right click on it and select Uninstall.

d) Reboot the computer.

e) On reboot, Windows 7 should re-install the drivers automatically.

Step 2:

I would also suggest you to uninstall the driver software for the Display Adaptor from the Program and Feature in Control Panel.

For more information on uninstalling a program in Windows 7 refer to the link provided below:

Uninstall or change a program

I would suggest you to visit the manufacturer?s website and download the latest drivers for the Graphic Card.

AMD Catalyst

Refer to the link provided below for information on how to install a software/program in Windows 7:

Install a program

First, download the drivers and CCC installation files from AMD/ATI website.
Then go to Manage PC and uninstall your Video card.

Download DriveSweeper:
|MG| Driver Sweeper 3.2.0 Download
I STRONGLY suggest to BACKUP your gpu drivers before attempting this though, using the backup feature in Drive Sweeper.
You need to then FULLY uninstall all CCC and ALL gpu drivers using 'drive sweeper' or equivalent.

Reboot.
You should get the "found new hardware" wizard, DO NOT LET IT RUN, so click cancel.

Reinstall the Drivers, then reinstall the CCC.

That should fix it, if not post back here and we'll go to the next step.

[R-COM]LITOralis.nMd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:14 AM   #5
MosquitoPower

I've tried all of these suggestions, but still no luck.

@[R-COM]rushn, I have tried it nothing changed.

@[R-COM]BloodyDeed and [R-COM]LITOralis.nMd,
I have downloaded ATI CCC Suite 12.1 from AMD's site. Uninstalled 'ATI Radeon HD Series 5700' from Display adaptor (with it's drivers.). My resolution went 640x480 or 800x600. Then, I rebooted my PC. I opened CCC, stated to where it'll unzip (or uncompress, you got me, I couldn't select the right word. ), after finishing unzip progress, an error message showed up: "There is no drivers for any ATI device" (or something near it.) But CCC installator opened. New hardware wizard also opened, and got needed things (drivers I think.) from Windows Update Center. When it finished, I continued to CCC installation. Installation finished succesfully, rebooted my PC and it was all OK. Checked everything (CCC, resolution, Device Manager), voila. I hurried for PR folder, double-clicked it... and saw the error: "pr.exe has stopped working.", again.

Did I do something wrong, gentlemen? Also, thanks for trying to help me.

Answers of quick questions:
What version of Windows? 32 bit or 64 bit? --- Windows 7 Home Basic 64-bit.
Does normal BF2 work in multiplayer? --- Yes, it does.
The windows user account you use has Administrator rights? --- Yes, it has.

EDIT: I see you say that I should 'cancel that wizard out.'. But, as I read on forums, people says that I should not cancel the wizard. I have the CCC 12.1, when I opened it for installing it said 'there's no ATI products.', but when wizard finished it's work CCC installation went fine. Should I try it? I'm pretty anxious about it .

EDIT2: I went to AMD support site, and watched videos about uninstalling/installing new video drivers. In that video, he removes drivers from ATI install manager, selects uninstall all. After that, he installs new CCC and selects express. So, is it a proof that I can install my drivers and CCC without waiting for wizard?

EDIT3: Done things I saw on video, nothing changed. I have no idea why is this happening? And, when I uninstalled my all ATI Install Manager, resolution didn't revert back to a lower res. , strange. :/ So, my question is not answered yet, can I open up wizard to get needed files when I want? If I cancel out the wizard, will it harm or make it impossible to install CCC or drivers?
Last edited by MosquitoPower; 02-15-2012 at 10:52 AM..
Old 02-17-2012, 07:51 AM   #6
[R-COM]LITOralis.nMd
Lead Support Technician
Supporting Member

Hello MosquitoPower,
Sorry for the delayed response, you edited your posts instead of making a new post so this conversation didn't move to top of the forum.

Where are we right now? Have you gotten your PC Video drivers working again? Have you gotten PR working?

Old 02-17-2012, 08:13 AM   #7
MosquitoPower

Oh, no problem. I hate double-triple posts so I edit my messages if needed. I'm a man of tidiness.

Step 1) I've deleted my "Radeon HD 5700 series" from Device Manager under Display Adaptors. (with it's drivers.)

Step 2) Rebooted my PC.

Step 3) Opened CCC full installer (Suite version, 12.1).

Step 4) After extraction finished, it showed up an error message box saying: "There's no ATI device" (or something like that.). But first step of CCC install opened with no problems.

Step 5) At the same time, "New hardware found wizard" popped up and started to get needed files.

Step 6) When it's finished, I continued CCC installation. Finished succesfully.

Step 7) Checked everything if working normal, everything was OK.

Step Opened PR, and it gave the same error.

---

It looks like I did everything like it should be, but, it didn't work.

Also, what if I cancel that wizard? Can I be able to install CCC again or I can't? I heard that canceling that wizard can be dangerous..? And, do CCC installer needs some ATI device already installed in Device Manager? And wizard installs it so I could continue to CCC installation? Plenty of questions to be sure about this isn't something undone-able.

Thanks for advance.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:40 AM   #8
[R-COM]LITOralis.nMd
Lead Support Technician
Supporting Member

OK,
First off, You CAN cancel the New Hardware Wizard, but you then need to immediately install the AMD Drivers you have downloaded. After that you can install CCC.

Your Drives and CC should be isntalled correctly right now. I don't think that's the problem.

Since this didn't fix your problem we have to do the long questions version.
Can you please sign in to regular BF2 and join a multiplayer server for a moment? Just to make sure your profile folder is created.

Quote:
How did you download the PR installation files? Torrent or from a website?
Can you please download a MD5 sum checking program to make sure your installation files are not corrupted. Download the MD5summer is a good one,
Use the program to check the installation files... compare the md5 hashes against these hashes:
http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f27-...le-hashes.html

Next we have to check your video.con file,
Quote:
4 ways to fix this:

Go to Documents\Battlefield 2\Profiles , each profile you have has a separate folder, 0001, 0002, etc.
Open global.con and see which is your default profile and make note.
Mine:
Quote:
GlobalSettings.setDefaultUser "0004"
Close global.con
Open the appropriate folder.
Open Video.con
go to line #9
Mine:
Quote:
VideoSettings.setResolution 1920x1080@60Hz
Adjust to your settings, idk your correct refresh rate,
to look it up, right click desktop, Select Screen resolution, Click Advanced settings.

Click the Monitor tab, and then look under Screen refresh rate,

Create a shortcut for PR on your desktop. Either make a copy of your current one, or find the pr.exe file and right click->send to desktop.

Right click the new shortcut icon... add this string to the end after the pr.exe"
Quote:
+restart +szx 1920 +szy 1080
Mine is:

Quote:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\mods\pr\pr.exe"+restart +szx 1920 +szy 1080
note where the quotation marks are located, they must be there.

3. Third way is to delete the Profiles folder, but don't do that if you don't know or can't retrieve your BF2 log-in password.

4. Fourth way is to create a batch file on desktop...

Quote:
@echo off
start "" "C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\mods\pr\pr.exe" +restart +szx 1920 +szy 1080
exit
save the batch file and use the batch file to run PR.
Next, find your BF2.exe file and right click, then give it administrator rights.

Next, you could defrag the hard drive that PR is installed on.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:04 AM   #9
MosquitoPower

Nothing, still that error. Goodness, what could make it to show that error? We have almost tried all the solutions, aren't we?

Not worked again, got that error again. Done everything on the list (except defrag),

-I've already tried to add that line on Video.con file
-I've already tried to add that string on shortcut
-I've already tried to delete profile file, log on, join a match to create a new Profiles folder
-Tried that batch file, not worked.
-BF2 and PR already have got administrator rights.

How did you download the PR installation files? Torrent or from a website? From a website,
From downloads page, Mod DB redirected me to FileFront.
Can you please download a MD5 sum checking program to make sure your installation files are not corrupted. Download the MD5summer is a good one,
Done that, all (MD5 and SHA1) hashes are good.

Answers are in green.

---

Another question, does this include AMD drivers?

I can see several drivers there. If it includes those AMD drivers I need, I'll try to cancel new hardware wizard.

---

Thanks for your patience LITOralis.nMd
Old 02-17-2012, 12:07 PM   #10
[R-COM]LITOralis.nMd
Lead Support Technician
Supporting Member

That is the correct one, drivers and CCC included in the download.

Quick question: Again, we're sure you have installed 1.41 patch? and you installed 1.5 patch?
Quick Question: What version of BF2 do you have, retail CD, Steam, EA Origin, etc?

Quick question, do you have some version of Microsoft dotNet Framework 3.5 or higher installed on your PC?
Download: Microsoft .NET Framework 4 (Web Installer) - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details

Qucikly, Right Click PR shortcut, disable desktop composition in pr.exe shortcut properties, change compatibility to Windows XP SP3. Save changes. close that window. Try to start PR.

Let's try to see the exact error.
Note the time, Run PR once, get the error message.
GO to Start menu, type in
Quote:
Event Viewer
Event Viewer will be first result, click it to open it.
You might find an error message at the time you noted that looks something like this
Quote:
.NET Runtime 2.0 Error (name in the window)
image of the error message in event viewer: Aijaa.com - 4397679.jpg
IF you do find one, copy it and post it here. or make a screenshot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Twisted Helix View Post
Please look for the file named prError.log in your BF2 PR folder and post the contents.
You can just post one of each type of error message at the bottom of the page.
SHould be located C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\mods\pr\prError.log

Tags
error, loading, prexe, splashscreen, stopped, windows 7, working