project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > PR:BF2 Support
25 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Support Help and support regarding PR:BF2 installation and in-game issues

Old 02-02-2012, 09:42 AM   #1
xWEESERx
Default High end PC with low FPS???

System specs:
Motherboard - ASUS Model M5A97 Pro
AMD Athlon II Quad Core 3GHz
4 Gig RAM @ 1333MHz (Limited to 3 gig cos of gay MOBO)
ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB

So yeah, as you can see, pretty high specs. Especially the GPU which is pretty much top of the range. Yet in-game I only about 15FPS looking towards certain bearings (Towards cities etc)

I bought all gear my self, but I took the spare ATI Radeon HD 5870 out of my dads computer.

It is a PC built from scratch. I put all the components into the motherboard first, the CPU the RAM, my old GPU (which was really really bad) etc. I installed the PSU which does support PCIe and can power the Graphics card.

My dad installed the motherboard and all the cables etc. And my dad done all of the windows stuff, software, drivers and all. Yes he did load the CD for the MOBO. He then installed the GPU (Radeon HD 5870) after he got all the windows stuff sorted. The drivers were also installed.

But for such an advanced Graphics card you would expect it to run PR:BF2 maxed out with 100 FPS no problem. (It did on my dads alienware anyway) So could anyone please help me out because I cannot play with how bad the FPS is.

Any help much appreciated..
xWEESERx is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:13 AM   #2
AquaticPenguin
Default Re: High end PC with low FPS???

Quote:
Originally Posted by xWEESERx View Post
But for such an advanced Graphics card you would expect it to run PR:BF2 maxed out with 100 FPS no problem. (It did on my dads alienware anyway) So could anyone please help me out because I cannot play with how bad the FPS is.
I get 15fps in places on certain maps, with an q9550 and a gtx260, you're not alone.

I believe this is because BF2 is quite CPU limited, and also only uses one processor core. I've certainly noticed with my computer that the GPU is pretty much idling when running PR (Not as hot and loud as usual). I think it comes down to the fact that PR has a lot of objects on each map, all of which need to be handled by the CPU in some shape or form. For each object in view the CPU has to direct state changes on the GPU, for a few objects this is easy, for lots of objects it's less easy (As view distance increases, the number of objects goes up with the square of the distance). Also on maps like fallujah the buildings are made up of many objects.

The above is at least my understand on it, really need someone more knowledgeable to weigh in.
AquaticPenguin is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:21 AM   #3
Ramjali

I have got similar specs.......
Mobo - M5A97 Pro
CPU - x4 965 @3.6 Ghz
Ram- 8gb
GPU - 5770 1gb
OS - Win 7 64 Bit
HDD - 1tb and 500 gb @ 7200rpm

I dont think ur mobo is limiting your RAM (I have the same Mobo), it's your OS probably becuase it's 32 bit and dont call that mobo "gay", it's really good and user friendly.

My speculations right now are
1. Could be HDD at lower rpm or data rate
2. Could be your CPU becuase, i think BF2 isn't multicore optimized (so try OCing as last resort)
3. Too high resolution???
4. Update BF2 to latest patches with Punkbuster

I had a problem with the mobo where the secondary HDD kept on disapearing but this was remedied after "Placing primary HDD at SATA 1-2 port and secondaires at 3-4, i think". This might be your problem as with the problem my Data rate dropped to almost nil.

PS: I play BF2 at max res with max settings and view distance with no lagg with my settings.
Ramjali is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:47 AM   #4
xWEESERx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramjali View Post

I dont think ur mobo is limiting your RAM (I have the same Mobo), it's your OS probably becuase it's 32 bit and dont call that mobo "gay", it's really good and user friendly.
Ye it does limit 4gb RAM stick down to 3gb, even says on the manual. And it says I only have 3gig memory available.

I have set affinity to only core 0. Aslo, as I play it only takes up like 24% of the cpu. I can also Alt+Tab out and it is instant. So I dont think it is the CPU.

I am pretty anoyed because I pretty much built this PC to play PR

And FYI, I do like the MOBO. I dont think its gay lol I was just saying..
Old 02-02-2012, 10:50 AM   #5
xWEESERx

I think it might be a problem with the drivers of the Graphics Card, because on the other PC which runs PR at 100FPS with the same card, it doesn't have this "Catalyst Control Center" or anything related to customly changing Anti-Aliasing settings from the desktop (like the nvidia drivers).
Old 02-02-2012, 10:55 AM   #6
Pvt.LHeureux
-

lol British thread?

I had the same problem in some maps, like Fallujah, Gaza, Korengal when looking towards the "big part" of the map.

But you'll note that mainly old maps are laggy, like Korengal, Karbala, Fallujah.

I then overclocked my proccesor and I don't lag anymore. You can also always change your resolution to a lower one if it lags too much.

Chuva_RD : You want to remove bugged thing but dont tell how to fill formed void.
Pvt.LHeureux is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:56 AM   #7
whatshisname55

So your Windows version is 32 bit?
If that's the case, then that's most likely the problem. Because you can only use ~3GB of RAM the graphics card cannot make use of it's video RAM, which would definitely slow it down.
whatshisname55 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:13 AM   #8
xWEESERx

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatshisname55 View Post
So your Windows version is 32 bit?
If that's the case, then that's most likely the problem. Because you can only use ~3GB of RAM the graphics card cannot make use of it's video RAM, which would definitely slow it down.
Yeh it is windows 32 bit, thanks. Ill try installing the Windows 7 64 bit cd I have. Ill let you know if that works.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:29 AM   #9
xWEESERx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramjali View Post

I had a problem with the mobo where the secondary HDD kept on disapearing but this was remedied after "Placing primary HDD at SATA 1-2 port and secondaires at 3-4, i think". This might be your problem as with the problem my Data rate dropped to almost nil.
I will also try this as well, thanks.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:53 AM   #10
serfma

Send a message via Skype™ to serfma

Quote:
Originally Posted by xWEESERx View Post
System specs:
Motherboard - ASUS Model M5A97 Pro
AMD Athlon II Quad Core 3GHz
4 Gig RAM @ 1333MHz (Limited to 3 gig cos of gay MOBO)
ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB

So yeah, as you can see, pretty high specs. Especially the GPU which is pretty much top of the range. Yet in-game I only about 15FPS looking towards certain bearings (Towards cities etc)

I bought all gear my self, but I took the spare ATI Radeon HD 5870 out of my dads computer.

It is a PC built from scratch. I put all the components into the motherboard first, the CPU the RAM, my old GPU (which was really really bad) etc. I installed the PSU which does support PCIe and can power the Graphics card.

My dad installed the motherboard and all the cables etc. And my dad done all of the windows stuff, software, drivers and all. Yes he did load the CD for the MOBO. He then installed the GPU (Radeon HD 5870) after he got all the windows stuff sorted. The drivers were also installed.

Any help much appreciated..
Turn down your Anti-Aliasing to 2x or OFF and you'll see an improvement. I wouldn't really call your Video Card "high end". Turn down your shadows too, those are two MAJOR things that suck down performance on video cards.
serfma is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
end, fps, high, low