project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support > Hardware & Custom Builds
23 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Hardware & Custom Builds Discussion on Computer Hardware & Custom Builds

Old 01-09-2012, 02:18 AM   #1
[R-DEV]Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Red face PC Remote Controls

Hey guys,

Looking for some help in finding a new PC Remote Control. I've had a few in the past but none of them have ever been able to deliver everything I've wanted out of a remote and the better ones I've had don't work with Win7 or my mobo.

Main points I'm looking for:
  • 100% Win7 Pro compatible, ignore the media centre crap I don't use that and probably never will.
  • Turn off PC function, turn on would be really, really good as well but unlikely to find a remote that can do that but massive + point if you can.
  • Compatible with most common media software, Winamp, VLC etc.
  • Preferably radio transmit rather than IR, the longer the range the better but probably wont be using it from outside my room much. Bluetooth is also an option since my mobo has BT.
  • Good design, something along the lines of a good TV remote.

Just to give you an overview of my old remotes so you can see what I'm looking for:

ATI Remote Wonder Bob

Had this remote way, way, way back. In fact it was my first PC remote and it was pretty damn good. Although made for the ATI Multi-Media centre that I never used, it still worked with most other programs and you could program the buttons to do w/e you wanted as well. Pretty good design and was able to turn the PC off but not on. It was also a RF remote meaning I could use it without pointing it at the PC and from very far away, + had a nice little mouse moving pad but wasn't that useful. Main problem with this remote is that it doesn't work with Windows 7, or WinXP x64

Asus DH Remote

Got this remote as part of my old Asus P5W DH Deluxe mother board. The really nice thing about this remote was that it could turn your PC both on and off, but that was mainly down to it being designed to do that with the mobo. Other than that, it was pretty crap, none of the buttons really worked with anything (at least not in XP, never tried it on Vista or Win7) and even if they did work, hardly any buttons on it
It was also IR which meant you had to point it at the PC to use it but the on/off feature was the really useful thing about it, using it to turn my PC on/off 90% of the time.

Cyberlink Remote

My current remote, although it dose f/a other than the volume controls work which is semi-useful, but nothing else dose with anything but WMC. Also IR which means you have to point it at the PC.

So ye if anyone can find a good remote that can do most or better still, all I want it to do that would be super awesome as I haven't been able to find one after doing a lot of searching but maybe I haven't been looking in the right places

Cheers!

[R-DEV]Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:10 AM   #2
Mad-Mike

Default Re: PC Remote Controls

Have you tryed your hands Rhino?

- It can turn on/off the PC
- It can press play,fast forward,rewind,pause etc..
- Can also give you pleasure to media that maybe on your PC.

On a serious note: Why do you need a remote? Do you have a big room or somthing?

Last edited by Mad-Mike; 01-09-2012 at 08:01 AM..
Old 01-09-2012, 06:21 AM   #3
[R-DEV]Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

I've got a pretty big room ye and I use my PC as my only music player (other than my portable mp3 player), watching videos on from my bed etc

Being able to turn your PC on with your remote is a huge + thou as in the morning when your 1/2 asleep, can just reach over, press the on button and by the time your awake its fully on etc

[R-DEV]Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:26 AM   #4
A.Finest
PR Server License Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to A.Finest

Now Im getting a remote lol!... Good point there Rhino

A.Finest is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:47 AM   #5
Harrod200

I use my laptop and VNC onto my PC to control everything Only thing it can't do is turn the PC on, but Wake on LAN can do that.

404: Signature not found
Harrod200 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:51 AM   #6
/Randoph/

I didn't know there is a remote control for PC until I saw this thread.lol
/Randoph/ is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:54 AM   #7
Apo

Alternative for lazy people:
Get a Keyboard with USB, plug in the keyboard in the Front panel, plug mouse into keyboard, put keyboard on a chair with wheels, pull chair to bed.

REMOTE CONTROL!
Apo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:01 PM   #8
Cp

Thread moved to the hardware forums.

Cp is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:04 PM   #9
hiberNative

i have a logitech trackball mouse on my couch. so when i connect the monitor to my tv, i use the ball mouse on any surface to navigate around. kinda comfy.

-
hiberNative is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:26 PM   #10
Mad-Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
I've got a pretty big room ye and I use my PC as my only music player (other than my portable mp3 player), watching videos on from my bed etc
Fair enough, I can see how one would be handy but my room isnt that big

Mad-Mike is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
controls, remote