project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > PR:BF2 Support
05 Apr 2020, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Support Help and support regarding PR:BF2 installation and in-game issues

Old 2011-10-08, 19:46   #1
samthegreat4
Default Low FPS overall on good equipment

Hey guys,

I've been playing for some time and I wondered about my low FPS back then. I forgot about it and just played the game. But now I reinstalled win7 64bit because of my new graphics card: a HD6950 2GB flashed to a 6970 clocked at 6970 speeds, and I'm again wondering about that low FPS. My CPU is a Phenom 2 x4 920 @ 2.8 Ghz (can overclock it to 3.0 Ghz or something, ran that way before the new win7 install but didn't make a lot of difference; also my CPU load is never really high, didn't go above 25 or something in the 126 fools road I just played, even not in the 126 player server) and I got 4GB of RAM.

My GPU load is really neglectable. I monitored it within GPU-z while playing 126 Fools Road for some 15 minutes and I really stood perplex: around 24% load. I thought that maybe my card was underclocking itself but it didn't, it ran at the normal load speeds (880 and 1375 Mhz).

I'm running all high with no AA (I'm trying 8x AA for more GPU load as we speak..).
Can someone finally help me get rid of the laughable 30 to 90 FPS (it was 90 when walking around at the british base in Fools Road, it slowly began decreasing as I walked down the road and finally when I jumped into a jeep with some guys and arrived at the objective it was around 30-40 and stayed like that for most of the time..)?

Greets,

Sam

EDIT:
jumped on a Fallujah West server, monitored my load. GPU load is still around 24%... but: when I zoom in through a sniper scope I get a superduper-major FPS boost. Goes from around 30-40 fps to 70-80 fps. At those times my GPU load also increased drastically to around 70/90%.

This is my CPU load after some running around and sniping and getting shot in Fallujah West. In the screenshot you can see I just minimalised.

DOUBLE EDIT:
I just compared 0x AA with 8x AA in exactly the same spot standing at the Supply Crate in the USMC base in Fallujah West. 0x AA = 6 or so FPS less than with 8x AA .. :')

Herbiie
''I never have had to wait for deviation, all you have to do is fire from the hip alot screaming like a girl like I do and you'll be fine.''

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3bVc...eature=related
Some comment on IDF movie
''Key words: two dead terrorists. End of story. High fuckin 5.''
Last edited by samthegreat4; 2011-10-08 at 20:23..
Old 2011-10-09, 11:31   #2
samthegreat4
Default Re: Low FPS overall on good equipment

Anyone some help please ?

Herbiie
''I never have had to wait for deviation, all you have to do is fire from the hip alot screaming like a girl like I do and you'll be fine.''

samthegreat4 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-09, 11:38   #3
[R-DEV]​BloodyDeed
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Hows your performance in other games?
Your FPS are indeed a bit low compared to similar system but would be interesting if you are able to run other games well.
So we can eliminate some hardware problems.

BloodyDeed is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-09, 13:10   #4
samthegreat4

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-COM]BloodyDeed View Post
Hows your performance in other games?
Your FPS are indeed a bit low compared to similar system but would be interesting if you are able to run other games well.
So we can eliminate some hardware problems.
Performance in other games is alright
I'm running Battlefield Bad Company 2 on all high with HBAO and 4x AA and my average FPS is around 55 or 60 or something (with a max of 80 and a minimum of 40 I think).
Furthermore: In CoD4 (even though I never play it ) with everything maxed and 4x AA I'm getting an average of 80/100 FPS I think.

In Napoleon Total War my performance overall isn't very good but not really shitty. But that's just the unoptimised game (or so I've heard).

Hm, lets see what we got more:
The mod for Mount and Blade Warband, Mount and Musket Battalion, runs pretty good with everything maxed on a server with a lot of people. I limited it on 65 FPS. But I don't think this game is really representable..

Herbiie

Last edited by samthegreat4; 2011-10-10 at 20:06..
Old 2011-10-10, 14:54   #5
samthegreat4

Nothing useful in here?
I would really like PR to make use of my PC.

Herbiie

samthegreat4 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-11, 20:59   #6
mattnett1
Banned

Here is basic tips you should have in mind.

-You should NOT have anything else running
EXCEPT: Capturing Program(if you use it), mumble, teamspeak, and the game itself
What you should NOT have running: Security Scanner, internet programs, updating programs.

-Do not set settings to high if you are in popular servers
Why? Because this reduces lag if you are on 64/64 or 128 player servers.
UNLESS: You have a high powered PC

-Do not press 10 controls at once
Why? This can effect gameplay, i did this once and believe me you wanna shoot your self if you do this.

But you do have a decent system. I dont' see why you have bad FPS. Unless you are randomly shooting RPG's at once.

EDIT!!!!

Try other games with HIGHER graphics then BF2. BF2 is a pretty old game. I don't see why your system is bogging down.
mattnett1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 10:30   #7
Anazuke

Quote:
I've been playing for some time and I wondered about my low FPS back then. I forgot about it and just played the game. But now I reinstalled win7 64bit because of my new graphics card
You had the same CPU back then? BF2:PR is not very GPU heavy game, instead it's very CPU heavy due to old game-engine. Atleast this is the case in my experience, i had GTX460 and Q9550 few months back, now i have i5 2500k and the performance increase was just massive, even with the same GPU. It's your CPU that's letting you down.

PR:BF2 ingame: DURO
PR:ARMA2 ingame: DURO
Anazuke is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 15:52   #8
MaSSive

Might be that something aint right with flash you did on your vid card? Also 30-90 FPS is what I have and its not really that bad and I have AIIX2 250 @3Ghz 4GB DDR2800 and a GTS450/512MB

Try tweaking video settings a bit I know pushing it all to high is NOT a solution for this game simply casue of outdated engine runing on new piece of hardware.

Ive noticed that lowering or turning off dynamic light and all that dynamic things helps a bit, and one more thing, Ive noticed radeons work much better as you push AA up while nvidias performance drops ( in this game ) if you push AA.

CATA4TW!
"People never lie so much as before an election, during a war, or after a hunt."
"God has a special providence for fools, drunks, and the United States of America."
― Otto von Bismarck
MaSSive is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-15, 09:57   #9
samthegreat4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaSSive View Post
Might be that something aint right with flash you did on your vid card? Also 30-90 FPS is what I have and its not really that bad and I have AIIX2 250 @3Ghz 4GB DDR2800 and a GTS450/512MB

Try tweaking video settings a bit I know pushing it all to high is NOT a solution for this game simply casue of outdated engine runing on new piece of hardware.

Ive noticed that lowering or turning off dynamic light and all that dynamic things helps a bit, and one more thing, Ive noticed radeons work much better as you push AA up while nvidias performance drops ( in this game ) if you push AA.
Yeah, but I have better rig than you and still oftentimes low FPS. I'm running mostly high and some settings medium (dynamic shadows and lightning) and 2x AA on 1920*1200.

Theres nothing wrong with the flash I did on my videocard, works in every other game just fine. And I already tried it before I did the flash, same FPS. When I zoom in though I get a HUUGEEE FPS boost. Normally on my previous PC I would get a FPS drop..

I'm running my CPU on 3.01 Ghz now, don't know what it could be.

Herbiie

Last edited by samthegreat4; 2011-10-15 at 10:07..
Old 2011-10-21, 09:38   #10
MaSSive

Hmm try basic stuff...delete shaders and profiles? Guess you know how to do that?

C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\Battlefield 2\mods\bf2\cache - delete all in subfolders

C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\Battlefield 2\LogoCache - applies to above, safely delete

C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\Battlefield 2\Profiles - delete all profiles and note that you will have to retrieve your account(s) after this by using email address and password

Things you might do also - check if you have latest MB/VGA drivers, check your system for any malware, check if your firewall/AV isnt blocking anything, don't use ATI CCC /remove it if you don't really need it, check if you have any OSD servers ( evga osd...etc )

BF2:PR is at last not only CPU heavy its also dependent on complete system performance including memory bandwidth, latency..etc

When all this is done start game, and before going to server alt+tab to desktop and start task manager right click on bf2.exe in processes tab, and select Set Affinity... uncheck all cores except one.

Also there is a cap on max fps in bf2. To unlock join a server press "~" to open console and type "game.lockfps 0"

I exhausted my resources with this I believe. Good luck!

CATA4TW!
"People never lie so much as before an election, during a war, or after a hunt."
"God has a special providence for fools, drunks, and the United States of America."
― Otto von Bismarck
MaSSive is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
equipment, fps, good, low