project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support > Hardware & Custom Builds
20 May 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Hardware & Custom Builds Discussion on Computer Hardware & Custom Builds

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2011, 01:21 PM   #1
ForLibertyandFreedom

ForLibertyandFreedom's Avatar
Default Semi-Decent PC/laptop for multimedia? ?330 max budget

Hi guys, I sold my old gaming PC a few months back. But now I need a laptop or a PC (refurbished or new) for a maximum budget of ?330. I'm not looking to play the new or to come out games. Just something that'll play PR with a decent FPS rate, and do media tasks.

If it's desktop, then I'll possibly need a new monitor too, but that all depends on my budget after purchasing, I could possibly make up to ?90 for a monitor after the PC. But I'd rather have a laptop.

Now, I've seen the Dell inspiron M5030 for ?300 and the spec is as followed:
Dell Inspiron M5030 Black - AMD Athlon P320 2.1GHz 2GB 250GB 15.6" Win7HP 64Bit DVD/RW webcam 1YR 5 - Laptops Direct

However, I'm not a hardware guy - so any help would be great! Alternatively, if you've got a rig laying about you'd be willing to shift and sell for the price I'm looking at. Hook me up!



Regards,
Ross.
ForLibertyandFreedom is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 02:14 PM   #2
karambaitos

karambaitos's Avatar
Send a message via MSN to karambaitos Send a message via Skype™ to karambaitos
Default Re: Semi-Decent PC/laptop for multimedia? ?330 max budget

that needs more ram

and this GPU doesnt cut it, only has 256mb dedicated ram, it runs SC2 on low at 60 FPS, but thats SC2
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250,

have the same CPU and GPU, just with 4gb DDR3 and it doesnt really cut it in games, its great for office stuff though,

goodish laptops are from 400 dollars and up, ofcourse if you find an insane sale on one its always good
and then the ones which will do well in games are 800dollars and up.

There is only one unforgivable lie That is the lie that says, This is the end, you are the conqueror, you have achieved it and now all that remains is to build walls higher and shelter behind them. Now, the lie says, the world is safe.? The Great Khan.

40k is deep like that.
karambaitos is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 03:35 PM   #3
ForLibertyandFreedom

ForLibertyandFreedom's Avatar
Default Re: Semi-Decent PC/laptop for multimedia? ?330 max budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by karambaitos View Post
that needs more ram

and this GPU doesnt cut it, only has 256mb dedicated ram, it runs SC2 on low at 60 FPS, but thats SC2
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250,

have the same CPU and GPU, just with 4gb DDR3 and it doesnt really cut it in games, its great for office stuff though,

goodish laptops are from 400 dollars and up, ofcourse if you find an insane sale on one its always good
and then the ones which will do well in games are 800dollars and up.
Aye, I should have done my research.

I've just been linked to an advert on gumtree - Dell Studio Desktop PC XPS 8100 i5 Processor 650 3.20GHz 6GB Ram and Acer 22 in Crawley, West Sussex | Desktops & Workstation PCs for Sale | Gumtree.com

I'll have the money thursday. This is a bargain and a half.
ForLibertyandFreedom is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 05:13 PM   #4
Cossack
Supporting Member

Cossack's Avatar
Send a message via Skype™ to Cossack
Default Re: Semi-Decent PC/laptop for multimedia? ?330 max budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForLibertyandFreedom View Post
Aye, I should have done my research.

I've just been linked to an advert on gumtree - Dell Studio Desktop PC XPS 8100 i5 Processor 650 3.20GHz 6GB Ram and Acer 22 in Crawley, West Sussex | Desktops & Workstation PCs for Sale | Gumtree.com

I'll have the money thursday. This is a bargain and a half.
Now that is even better.

Cossack is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:17 PM   #5
karambaitos

karambaitos's Avatar
Send a message via MSN to karambaitos Send a message via Skype™ to karambaitos
Default Re: Semi-Decent PC/laptop for multimedia? ?330 max budget

Quote:
Mcafee Security Centre
*runs in the corner and starts shivering*

thats a good PC for the price apart from the GPU, but it should have no problems with PR and source games
even with new games (not sure how well it would preform with ARMA2 though)

There is only one unforgivable lie That is the lie that says, This is the end, you are the conqueror, you have achieved it and now all that remains is to build walls higher and shelter behind them. Now, the lie says, the world is safe.? The Great Khan.

40k is deep like that.
karambaitos is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:04 AM   #6
ydderFx

ydderFx's Avatar
Default Re: Semi-Decent PC/laptop for multimedia? ?330 max budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForLibertyandFreedom View Post
Hi guys, I sold my old gaming PC a few months back. But now I need a laptop or a PC (refurbished or new) for a maximum budget of ?330. I'm not looking to play the new or to come out games. Just something that'll play PR with a decent FPS rate, and do media tasks.

Ross.
I'd say save up another 200 or 300 pounds, and get a rig as opposed to a laptop. With 500-600 quid you can get a decent mid-gaming pc. You'll be able to run PR and Arma with no problems at all, plus doing media tasks would perfom much better on a rig.

I've made up a rig which would run most games medium-high settings and PR no problem running maxed out.

i5 2500k ?161.13
Asus P8P67 Pro R3 ?123.74
Corsair 4GB DDR3 XMS3 ?38.42
XFX 6870 ?139
Artic Cooling Freezer Pro ?15.09
Antec300 ?46.98
Antec TruePower 650W ?67.98
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD ?42.99
LiteOn DVDRW Sata Optical Drive ?14.99

Total: ?650.32

I'd deffinatley choose a desktop over a laptop. Laptops run very hot and cause lots of overheating issues. A good gaming laptop generally cost a lot for what you could get in a normal rig. If you spent 650 on a laptop you get no where near as good as performance as a rig.
ydderFx is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:41 AM   #7
ForLibertyandFreedom

ForLibertyandFreedom's Avatar
Default Re: Semi-Decent PC/laptop for multimedia? ?330 max budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by ydderFx View Post
I'd say save up another 200 or 300 pounds, and get a rig as opposed to a laptop. With 500-600 quid you can get a decent mid-gaming pc. You'll be able to run PR and Arma with no problems at all, plus doing media tasks would perfom much better on a rig.

I've made up a rig which would run most games medium-high settings and PR no problem running maxed out.

i5 2500k ?161.13
Asus P8P67 Pro R3 ?123.74
Corsair 4GB DDR3 XMS3 ?38.42
XFX 6870 ?139
Artic Cooling Freezer Pro ?15.09
Antec300 ?46.98
Antec TruePower 650W ?67.98
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD ?42.99
LiteOn DVDRW Sata Optical Drive ?14.99

Total: ?650.32

I'd deffinatley choose a desktop over a laptop. Laptops run very hot and cause lots of overheating issues. A good gaming laptop generally cost a lot for what you could get in a normal rig. If you spent 650 on a laptop you get no where near as good as performance as a rig.
The issue is, I regrettably didn't save enough last month. However, in the process of selling a custom BMX for 300, so I'd take up your advice


Quote:
Originally Posted by karambaitos View Post
*runs in the corner and starts shivering*

thats a good PC for the price apart from the GPU, but it should have no problems with PR and source games
even with new games (not sure how well it would preform with ARMA2 though)

Oh yeah, the GPU would be a next month upgrade if I purchase it. So i'd probably just spend ?100 on a new GPU to ensure it's up to date.

Cheers for the comments, fellas. It is much appreciated.

Update: Just got confirmation that someone's interested in my BMX for ?300.

So I have ?650 to spend.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VIBOX-980-...#ht_7637wt_756

People's thoughts?

Another edit: Parents putting in ?150 for any upgrade, however, I'd prefer a decent monitor. What's good brands?
ForLibertyandFreedom is offline
Last edited by ForLibertyandFreedom; 08-22-2011 at 10:37 AM..
Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:47 AM   #8
Cossack
Supporting Member

Cossack's Avatar
Send a message via Skype™ to Cossack
Default Re: Semi-Decent PC/laptop for multimedia? ?330 max budget

For monitors, Samsung is pretty decent - I have my SyncMaster 226BW for 3-4 years and its still feels like brand new.

Cossack is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:50 AM   #9
ForLibertyandFreedom

ForLibertyandFreedom's Avatar
Default Re: Semi-Decent PC/laptop for multimedia? ?330 max budget

Ah Samsung, excellent. I will look into them. Thanks.

This is my current spec list on Arbico.co.uk. It will include an 24" Asus full HD monitor.


Thoughts?
ForLibertyandFreedom is offline
Last edited by ForLibertyandFreedom; 08-22-2011 at 02:07 PM..
Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:34 PM   #10
Pedz
Supporting Member

Pedz's Avatar
Default Re: Semi-Decent PC/laptop for multimedia? ?330 max budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForLibertyandFreedom View Post
Ah Samsung, excellent. I will look into them. Thanks.

This is my current spec list on Arbico.co.uk. It will include an 24" Asus full HD monitor.

Thoughts?
If you can aim for a k processor, these sandy bridge processors are very capable of running overclocked 24/7, even if its only upto 3.8ghz, it will be useful down the line :P

Also as always its normally a choice between Dell or samsung monitors for me :P got an old dell 23" and now a samsung 27" (samsungs better, but its what you'd expect.. its newer xD)


Pedz is offline Reply With Quote
Reply


Tags
330, budget, max, multimedia, pc or laptop, semidecent
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:48 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin. ©vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All Content Copyright ©2004 - 2018, Project Reality