project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
06 Jun 2020, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2020-05-11, 10:41   #1
CAS_ual_TY
PR Server License Administrator

CAS_ual_TY's Avatar
Default Tank RNG Alternative

Armor-Whore Perspective:
  • Too much RNG
  • Can get tracked by a single hit
  • RNG lowers the skill ceiling by a lot
  • Even when playing everything right, you might just lose the Tank v Tank fight to RNG
  • Even when fighting Inf, RNG lat to the front is just frustrating

Infantry Perspective:
  • Inf isnt really a threat to Tanks, RNG is
  • HAT isnt really that much of a threat it used to be
  • Balance seems to be a little weirded out

Suggested Changes:
  • Remove Tank on Tank RNG Completely
  • Make ATGM/TOW/HAT track Gun on Front hit 100%
  • Make ATGM/TOW/HAT track Movement on Side hit 100%

(Expected) Results:
  • TOW/HAT is an actual threat again, forcing Tanks to rtb
  • Tank v Tank is fun again, skill has a lot more influence now on outcome

CAS_ual_TY is offline
Old 2020-05-11, 11:04   #2
[R-DEV]Mineral
PR:BF2 Lead Designer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Mineral's Avatar
Default Re: Tank RNG Alternative

Impossible in this engine I believe.Can't tell where you got hit. And can't tell what hit you neither. If we remove RNG (aka remove disabling all together or change it to fixed values, which i think is worse) it's just a damage game again. So I suggest your reformulate your suggestion to a feedback thread to simply no longer do disabling if that's something that you wish for.

Mineral is offline
Old 2020-05-11, 11:06   #3
CAS_ual_TY
PR Server License Administrator

CAS_ual_TY's Avatar
Default Re: Tank RNG Alternative

And telling apart ATGM hit from Shell hit? Is that possible?

CAS_ual_TY is offline
Old 2020-05-11, 11:07   #4
PBAsydney

PBAsydney's Avatar
Default Re: Tank RNG Alternative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mineral View Post
Impossible in this engine I believe.Can't tell where you got hit. And can't tell what hit you neither.
Wouldn't it be possible just to go by damage values? You take 25% damage (or whatever ATGM to front does) in one shot, it calculates 100% chance of losing gun, but only at that specific damage value.




HITREG CARRY
PBAsydney is offline
Old 2020-05-11, 11:08   #5
[R-DEV]Mineral
PR:BF2 Lead Designer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Mineral's Avatar
Default Re: Tank RNG Alternative

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAS_ual_TY View Post
And telling apart ATGM hit from Shell hit? Is that possible?
No. Would require Alon magic which always has a chance of being impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBAsydney View Post
Wouldn't it be possible just to go by damage values? You take 25% damage (or whatever ATGM to front does) in one shot, it calculates 100% chance of losing gun, but only at that specific damage value.
You mean make a giant look up table for each possible weapon type and armour type in this game (probably hundreds) and making sure each value is unique, so that way you can identify what hit you and on which armour type(front,back,tracks)? And then also making sure you check this at basically every tick (disabling now is not 'real-time', it's once in a while a check for damage %) cause otherwise you could just be looking at two hits of different types and it doesn't work anymore? I think technically yes but would be a really bad and unreliable system.

Mineral is offline
Old 2020-05-11, 11:29   #6
Coalz101

Coalz101's Avatar
Default Re: Tank RNG Alternative

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAS_ual_TY View Post
Armor-Whore Perspective:
  • Too much RNG
  • Can get tracked by a single hit
  • RNG lowers the skill ceiling by a lot
  • Even when playing everything right, you might just lose the Tank v Tank fight to RNG
  • Even when fighting Inf, RNG lat to the front is just frustrating

Infantry Perspective:
  • Inf isnt really a threat to Tanks, RNG is
  • HAT isnt really that much of a threat it used to be
  • Balance seems to be a little weirded out
I like how you used the word "Perspective" meaning, that's what they think. But that doesn't mean that's what actually happens.

Inf is not suppose to be a big threat to Tanks, why would they? (Except Anti Tank kits, sometimes AA kit if the person using it is good enough)
HAT is still a big threat, just anywhere but front armour. I've been tracked/killed by many HATs before, they all hit my side or rear armour, it's all about angles in this game. In my opinion the game is balanced as it is, just get a good team and you'd beable to see hour matches in AAS.

On to the tanks now. Yes there is too much RNG from my point of view, but it makes the game some what fair because it makes you rely on strategy other than just fighting tanks head on. Getting tracked with one hit is also for balance. Now, the interesting part. What would you say is everything RIGHT, that could be seen from soo many different angles, what I may think is right to do in a tank you can think otherwise. To have a good tank v tank battle, you need a good team that are willing to give good intel. In PR now-a-days there is no communication amongst squads in most cases (Especially on EU servers, just saying, I don't know if it's because of language barriers and what not. I believe the standards are English only though). I'd also like to agree with your LAT statement, even though it doesn't happen all the time, it does happen. I've had my turrent track from a LAT to the front and it's disgusting they then proceed to rape you from the back now that your turrent is down.
Coalz101 is offline
Old 2020-05-11, 11:57   #7
transpilot
Default Re: Tank RNG Alternative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coalz101 View Post
I like how you used the word "Perspective" meaning, that's what they think. But that doesn't mean that's what actually happens.

Inf is not suppose to be a big threat to Tanks, why would they? (Except Anti Tank kits, sometimes AA kit if the person using it is good enough)
HAT is still a big threat, just anywhere but front armour. I've been tracked/killed by many HATs before, they all hit my side or rear armour, it's all about angles in this game. In my opinion the game is balanced as it is, just get a good team and you'd beable to see hour matches in AAS.

On to the tanks now. Yes there is too much RNG from my point of view, but it makes the game some what fair because it makes you rely on strategy other than just fighting tanks head on. Getting tracked with one hit is also for balance. Now, the interesting part. What would you say is everything RIGHT, that could be seen from soo many different angles, what I may think is right to do in a tank you can think otherwise. To have a good tank v tank battle, you need a good team that are willing to give good intel. In PR now-a-days there is no communication amongst squads in most cases (Especially on EU servers, just saying, I don't know if it's because of language barriers and what not. I believe the standards are English only though). I'd also like to agree with your LAT statement, even though it doesn't happen all the time, it does happen. I've had my turrent
track from a LAT to the front and it's disgusting they then proceed to rape you from the back now that your turrent is down.
A tank shouldnt yolo any TOW position because a) delay b) no damage to front armor

A LAT kit shouldnt disable the gun with a front hit

"Doing everything right" I can give you an example that happend to me: My tank ambushed the enemy tank and we hit his side first. Enemy tank black smoking. He hits our front armor because of our better positioning. Our tank was light smoking but our gun got disabled. He killed us.
transpilot is offline
Old 2020-05-11, 12:27   #8
[R-MOD]Nate.
Forum Moderator
Project Reality Beta Tester
Supporting Member

Nate.'s Avatar
Default Re: Tank RNG Alternative

Closing because impossible + already exisiting discussion threads on this issue.

Nate. is offline
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 04:24.