project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
26 Oct 2021, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 2010-03-26, 15:13   #11
TheOldBreed

Default Re: M72 LAW for USMC LAT kit (unscoped)

pretty interesting. the 72 is lighter and costs less to manufacture than the AT4. plus the lack of armoured targets in the current counterinsurgency situation as well as the need for a more practical rocket system (a soldier or Marine can carry two M72s rather than just one AT4) in urban or mountainous environments is what's winning the 'hearts and minds' (haha) of coalition soldiers. POW take that military history degree.

oh yeah, found this:
HTML Code:
http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/marines-fought-the-law-and-the-law-won-0151/
TheOldBreed is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-26, 16:59   #12
Lange

Send a message via AIM to Lange Send a message via MSN to Lange

The Default AT kit is scoped anyway right? So maybe just have one scoped and one unscoped, possibly having the AT4 unscoped since it does more to armor and the ironsights more for just personal defense like the HAT Kit. Then the LAW can be scoped since its more for inf/fornication purposes and less range on the round and power.
Lange is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-26, 19:10   #13
TheOldBreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lange View Post
...since its more for inf/fornication purposes...
shit, i can't imagine bringing one into the bedroom. could go bad real quickly.
Old 2010-03-26, 19:37   #14
Drunkenup

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldBreed View Post
pretty interesting. the 72 is lighter and costs less to manufacture than the AT4. plus the lack of armoured targets in the current counterinsurgency situation as well as the need for a more practical rocket system (a soldier or Marine can carry two M72s rather than just one AT4) in urban or mountainous environments is what's winning the 'hearts and minds' (haha) of coalition soldiers. POW take that military history degree.

oh yeah, found this:
HTML Code:
http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/marines-fought-the-law-and-the-law-won-0151/
I mean, yes the M72 LAW would seem a logical weapon for use in some USMC maps. It is lighter, thus faster to move and dish out. But its rocket's diameter is significantly smaller than the M136 AT4 that it was intended to be replaced by. But yes, I do support the idea due to the diversity of weapons I'd like to see.
Drunkenup is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-26, 19:54   #15
00SoldierofFortune00

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldBreed View Post

oh yeah, found this:
HTML Code:
One of my old instructors in the Marine Corps told me they weren't using the AT4 either, they were using the LAW. Makes sense, sense the backblast of the AT4 is probably much bigger than that of the LAW (AT4 is like 100 feet, 90 degrees).

"Push the Envelope, Watch It Bend"

Tool ~ Lateralus
00SoldierofFortune00 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-26, 20:32   #16
Eddie Baker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawncaptain View Post
s one of PR's MAs wrote, the USMC still uses M72s in Iraq and Afghanistan in addition to the M136. Unfortunately, I couldn't find that quote anymore. It would be nice if an MA could confirm this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Eddie Baker View Post
The improved LAW has been making a comeback in both the Army and Marines because of its size. It collapses into a smaller package, and you can carry two of them for the same weight as an AT4. Some UK units, including SAS, kept (and still are) using the M72 for this reason after the 94mm LAW-80 was adopted.
Quote:
M72 is still around, Masaq. The improved variants (they're from M72A4 up to M72A9, I think) have made a comeback for MOUT/FIBUA because of their light weight and collapsibility; you can carry two of them for the weight of a single AT4, and they're shorter in stowed configuration (the AT4 is a meter long all the time). They come in HEAT and HEDP bunker-buster flavors, and the newest ones will have confined space launch capability. From what I understand they still don't pack as much of a penetrating/explosive weight punch of an AT4, but since you can carry more of them, it seems to balance out, at least on paper.
That would have been me. Unfortunately, in your search for those quotes, you didn't find that this is a resuggestion.

https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f18...anti-tank.html
Eddie Baker is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-26, 20:38   #17
spawncaptain

Oh please, don't lock this thread. The suggestion that you provided a link to is mainly about giving the LAT kit more tubes, not more variety in AT weapons for the USMC. I don't suggest adding a completely new kit but rather changing one of the ones we already have, like with the SA-7 and the Stinger for taliban.
Thanks for confirming it though.
spawncaptain is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-26, 22:33   #18
TheOldBreed

Quote:
Unfortunately, in your search for those quotes, you didn't find that this is a resuggestion.
haha
Old 2010-03-26, 23:07   #19
Dev1200

Wait, LAT has a scope? o_o

Dev1200 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-26, 23:08   #20
spawncaptain

No, the M16A4 that comes with the standard LAT kit of the USMC does.
spawncaptain is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
kit, lat, law, m72, unscoped, usmc