project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
26 Oct 2021, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 2012-01-22, 09:59   #11
spawncaptain

Default Re: Replace handheld weapon overheating sound with barrel change sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by saXoni View Post
"SAW" stands for "squad automatic weapon". It's not one specific weapon. The M249 is one of them.
No and no. First of all, the FN Minimi doesn't fit the usual definition of a squad automatic weapon, i.e. being an assault or battle rifle with a heavier barrel and larger magazines like the RPK, LSW or QBB-95. Instead it is a light machine gun.
Secondly, SAW has become a synonym for the M249. If you ask any player on PR to tell them about "the SAW", they will describe the M249.

User Ubaydah: "I used to play Call of Duty a lot and Battlefield 3. I am really good at those games 10th prestige, High K/d., I can kill people easily, etc. But on PR, for me, to be honest, I kind of suck."

User Not_able_to_kill: "Frontliner, you like evil man who comes to family house during christmas, takes out tree because it's too happy, so they can be just as sad as you"
spawncaptain is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-22, 12:23   #12
jerkzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bringerof_D View Post
I suggest increasing the amount of shots you can take before over heating...significantly. at least 50-75% longer than now.

the over heating sound effect will fade in at ~75% and fade away at ~75% during the cooling process. i want the gunner to have somewhere between 3-5 seconds of continuous fire from the time the sound effect starts till the gun locks up.

at 100% the weapon will lock up as it does now until it cools to a certain point. I would like the time this requires to be significantly longer than it is now as well.

my goal is to allow a machine gun to fire longer as it is at most times necessary and realistic and give the gunner an audio warning to the heat level. However if the gunner continues to fire at a high ROF they will be punished through the weapon locking up for longer than it does currently.

if possible i would also like cool down time to be short to simulate a barrel change if the gunner stops firing prior to the gun locking.

this applying to ALL machine guns.
Excellent idea!
As it is now, the gunner has no way of knowing when the gun is about to overheat. It's just guesswork and/or previous experiences, it unnecessarily adds to the learning curve. Having the boiling water sound as a warning and the barrel change as a total overheat signal seems like a much more intuitive system.

This signature is here due to lack of imagination.
jerkzilla is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-22, 13:11   #13
Psyko

Quote:
Originally Posted by =HCM= Shwedor View Post

I think the barrel change aspect for light arms would be better, especially for the MG's mounted on vehicles and bunkers (provided there is also an animation with it, it would be rather odd to hear the sound and see no movement associated with it). However, I am not sure about APC cannons, I rather like the current overheating system for APC's. It would be neat to see accuracy degraded as heat level increases.
OMG! get it?

ahhh I kill me....

Well if there was an animation slot for this kind of thing i would agree with the OP, but otherwise i think it would be counter productive and would ruin immersion. There's a few really talented programmers working on other bf2 mods and they seems to be uncovering amazing things in their mods with regards to overlays and putting hands on the handles of .50cal mgs. i wish they were on this forum giving us some tips.
Psyko is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-22, 20:08   #14
Maverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykogundam View Post
OMG! get it?

ahhh I kill me....

Well if there was an animation slot for this kind of thing i would agree with the OP, but otherwise i think it would be counter productive and would ruin immersion. There's a few really talented programmers working on other bf2 mods and they seems to be uncovering amazing things in their mods with regards to overlays and putting hands on the handles of .50cal mgs. i wish they were on this forum giving us some tips.
Alpha Project anyone?

Maverick is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-22, 21:55   #15
Dev1200

Although I haven't really tested other handheld LMGs in PR besides the M249, it takes ~ 1.5 mags full auto to overheat it.

Dev1200 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
barrel, change, handheld, overheating, replace, sound, weapon