project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
26 Oct 2021, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Old 2021-07-25, 17:46   #21
LangMaster

Default Re: (Vehicle) Stryker MGS - M1128 Mobile Gun System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats391 View Post
Yes, our tanks already move due to force of firing.
Ah shit, i am blind then, where is my 1k hours in this game.

DISCORD - Suportík#2870
LangMaster is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-27, 21:12   #22
LangMaster

Well i was playing around a bit since i kinda finished the high poly model i wanted to try out baking it, i have seem to failed in many ways from youtube tutorials.

As you can see from the first image, something is wrong, i have baked the stuff onto other faces.
And the process i went through was wrong and did not even work as well when i tried to follow the tutorials, in the first place i dont need to make materials for the high poly model but if i dont do it i cannot bake it, so i select first the low poly model and then the high, i bake it and it gives me the first image, i can see the details from high in the texture image though.

If i make the material for the high poly model, i select first the high poly to low poly model, i bake it, there are no details seen in the image from the high poly model, and it makes the image texture for the UV High model which is wrong because the UV for the low is totally different. aaaaaaaaaa! But hey i went really far so i am proud of my self, i never expect my self to get to this stage so yeah.

I have thought that the selection of UVs is wrong but it seems to take the low poly model which is good

DISCORD - Suportík#2870
Last edited by LangMaster; 2021-07-27 at 21:21..
Old 2021-07-31, 18:17   #23
LangMaster

I am down to 5300 tris now.
I have found some modules that a missed so i added them.

DISCORD - Suportík#2870
Old 2021-08-01, 15:48   #24
LangMaster

Okay so i finally moved forward again, after alot of troubleshooting i managed to bake a proper normal map, for now with the details i have, i will definitely later on do some metal scratches etc so it looks very high detailed.

Marked with Red those are the parts that are in the normal map and so it makes the high poly ilusion.

DISCORD - Suportík#2870
Old 2021-08-01, 16:41   #25
[R-CON]​Hans_Strudel
PR:BF2 Contributor

Main gun barrel is still too detailed, 10 sides for such big cylinder is enough to look properly, UV map still has so much empty space. What's the resolution of your normal map and have you tried ambient occlusion map baking yet?
Hans_Strudel is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-01, 16:54   #26
LangMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans_Strudel View Post
Main gun barrel is still too detailed, 10 sides for such big cylinder is enough to look properly, UV map still has so much empty space. What's the resolution of your normal map and have you tried ambient occlusion map baking yet?
Well i have realized that the baking is a bit glitchy and does not like having multiple different objects next to each other that is why i tried only one part, i am still experimenting for now, but i thought 2048x2048 would be good for everything packed together.

About the uv, well i don't know what you want from me honestly, when you a pack of beers obviously the round base will have space between and there is nothing i can do with it, the uv planner does this for me and i don't think i can do better job than a program.

I really wanted to test this at least becase for a weird reason baking was not working for me and i had alot of glitches, i wanna try some advanced material making with nodes later.

DISCORD - Suportík#2870
Old 2021-08-02, 02:07   #27
Hokunin
Retired PR Developer

You could save up a lot of tris number by detaching smoke tubes from that square platforms, making square platform a simple shape with far fewer vertexes. But don't forget to move smoke tube base a bit more into the square platform after detachment, because then in game there might be visual glitches from afar, as if they are floating separately.

As for UV management, you could do it by hand, or use better UV specialized softwares like RizomUV for automated UV placing, it gives best results for auto UV. You have enormous spaces wasted. Those giant holes inside and between big islands could be filled with smaller UV islands, which would give you possibility to increasing overall UVs sizes - which would result in crisper more quality textures for the model, instead of blurred mush.

But all this is just advice, you can do whatever.

Last edited by Hokunin; 2021-08-02 at 02:14..
Old 2021-08-02, 18:44   #28
LangMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokunin View Post
You could save up a lot of tris number by detaching smoke tubes from that square platforms, making square platform a simple shape with far fewer vertexes. But don't forget to move smoke tube base a bit more into the square platform after detachment, because then in game there might be visual glitches from afar, as if they are floating separately.

As for UV management, you could do it by hand, or use better UV specialized softwares like RizomUV for automated UV placing, it gives best results for auto UV. You have enormous spaces wasted. Those giant holes inside and between big islands could be filled with smaller UV islands, which would give you possibility to increasing overall UVs sizes - which would result in crisper more quality textures for the model, instead of blurred mush.

But all this is just advice, you can do whatever.
Well i have been told that the individual parts and materials cause additional draw calls and are the biggest bottleneck of the game ? i am not sure if it works the same way as if they are tagged still as one object ?

But if not that would really change alot ot stuff again.

DISCORD - Suportík#2870
Old 2021-08-03, 01:46   #29
Hokunin
Retired PR Developer

- you're only gonna detach smoke tubes from the geometry, it doesn't create a new drawcall. Its not like you'll make them a separate object with its own textures.

- also forgot to mention. There must be a small empty space between UV islands, so that textures won't bleed into each other, especially on decreasing texture quality within game settings. In your screens, UV islands almost touching each other.

Last edited by Hokunin; 2021-08-03 at 01:56..
Old 2021-08-03, 18:31   #30
LangMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokunin View Post
- you're only gonna detach smoke tubes from the geometry, it doesn't create a new drawcall. Its not like you'll make them a separate object with its own textures.

- also forgot to mention. There must be a small empty space between UV islands, so that textures won't bleed into each other, especially on decreasing texture quality within game settings. In your screens, UV islands almost touching each other.
alright, good to know, that kinda makes a life alot easier.

DISCORD - Suportík#2870