project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
22 Oct 2021, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2016-01-26, 01:57   #1
bgd2980
Default 4 servers, that's it?

4 servers and all with crappy high pings? I want to battle! Bring back the good days of BF2.. Are there not a lot of people playing this? If that's the case, I'm disappointed.
bgd2980 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-26, 04:37   #2
DesmoLocke
Supporting Member

Send a message via AIM to DesmoLocke
Default Re: 4 servers, that's it?

Welcome to a 10 year-old mod. You're showing up kind of late aren't you?

PR player since 0.5 (Feb 2007)
DesmoLocke is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-26, 06:42   #3
AfterDune
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

What are you talking about? There are currently 79 servers up and running and around 370 people playing (and it's early morning in Europe even).

Project Reality: PRSPY

AfterDune is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-26, 06:59   #4
mat552

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]AfterDune View Post
What are you talking about? There are currently 79 servers up and running and around 370 people playing (and it's early morning in Europe even).

Project Reality: PRSPY
Let's not beat around the bush here. 60+ of those 79 servers will see less than 5 players in a 7 day period. Clan only locked servers people have forgotten about, skirmish only runs nobody thinks twice about, etc.

The game isn't dead but it isn't even close to populating almost 80 100 player servers.

Players might be hardcoded, but that sure doesn't seem to stop anybody from trying.

The only winning move is not to play. Insurgency, that is.
mat552 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-26, 07:02   #5
sweedensniiperr
Supporting Member

He's right. At the time of this message: 3 servers around 98players and one around 15. That's 4.

Would you join a server with 4 people in it? I wouldn't. Although 4 servers is alright imo.

sweedensniiperr is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-26, 07:13   #6
Wing Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgd2980 View Post
4 servers and all with crappy high pings? I want to battle! Bring back the good days of BF2.. Are there not a lot of people playing this? If that's the case, I'm disappointed.
Right now there are over 300 players online. Two servers are in the U.S. and one of those is at 98 players.
Wing Walker is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-26, 07:16   #7
AfterDune
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat552 View Post
Let's not beat around the bush here. 60+ of those 79 servers will see less than 5 players in a 7 day period. Clan only locked servers people have forgotten about, skirmish only runs nobody thinks twice about, etc.

The game isn't dead but it isn't even close to populating almost 80 100 player servers.
Captain Obvious . All I'm saying is there are 80-ish servers up. And 370 people playing is not bad considering it's early morning in Europe. Sure, at the time he was checking it might have been less, but still.

Check again at another time, bgd2980, and you'll see there are plenty more players and populated servers. On European evenings/nights is when you'll see most players online.

Old 2016-01-26, 13:04   #8
bgd2980

I don't live in Europe man. I live in the US. The pings on those servers are not playable. 150 and above.. Terrible.
bgd2980 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-26, 13:17   #9
[R-DEV]Mineral
PR:BF2 Lead Designer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

While more choice is always better, if there is a spot for you, that's all you need. Specially given IMO almost every PR server is the same. Not many server customization in PR outside from some server rules. I'm pretty happy that after 10 years PR:BF2 still pulls almost 800 people on weekends on high play hours. That's way more then PR/BF2 had a few years ago. So I'll be happy with 1 server

Mineral is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-26, 13:45   #10
AfterDune
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgd2980 View Post
I don't live in Europe man. I live in the US. The pings on those servers are not playable. 150 and above.. Terrible.
I know............ I was only saying that most players are active on European nights. You can figure out what time that is yourself.

And 150 ping isn't terrible, I often play on US servers with that ping - no problems at all. If it gets much higher, then you can see more rubberbanding and weird stuff, but if it's around 150, then you shouldn't have much issues at all. Assuming you're not on wireless, because that's often pretty terrible .

Tags
servers