project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
17 Oct 2021, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

Old 2014-04-19, 09:29   #6921
MaSSive

Default Re: The AWESOME/OMG/WTF thread!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroCop View Post
And besides, every city that the US president would visit would suddenly go into a traffic gridlock for a couple of weeks

I heard he EMP'd your Audi A6 lel

CATA4TW!
"People never lie so much as before an election, during a war, or after a hunt."
"God has a special providence for fools, drunks, and the United States of America."
― Otto von Bismarck
MaSSive is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-19, 09:57   #6922
whatshisname55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeps View Post
He means reliable in the manner that a mirror works 100% of the time without anything to make it work. Cameras only work while there is electricity with the engine and battery functioning properly. And the fact that most cars have electronics that have terrible reliability.
How exactly do you plan to drive a car without electricity? In such a situation, I think non-functioning cameras are the least of your worries.
whatshisname55 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-19, 10:10   #6923
Mongolian_dude
Retired Moderator

I personally wont be satisfied until i can purchase a commercial car equipped with a periscope and night vision.

Military lawyers engaged in fierce legal action.
Mongolian_dude is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-19, 10:30   #6924
Nickbond592
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaiex View Post
It's definitely more reliable. There are no blind spots, things aren't shown in reverse etc.
Instead of having a rear view mirror that forces you to look trough the entire car to peek through the rear window to see what's behind you, you can have a camera installed on the back of the car, on the roof, or in the bumper, that lets you see everything behind you as if your eyes were actually there.

Some cars already use cameras underneath the car to judge your distance to the white lines and stuff and alert you when you're drifting, or when you're about to hit a curb.
It would also help reduce drag and make cars more fuel effecient.

There's apparently already a car that does it. It's the Volkswagen XL1. And apparently the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration ruled last month that by May 2018, all new cars must have a back-up camera installed.
So, we're getting there. Hello cyberpunk cars!

Quote:
He means reliable in the manner that a mirror works 100% of the time without anything to make it work. Cameras only work while there is electricity with the engine and battery functioning properly. And the fact that most cars have electronics that have terrible reliability.
exactly as steeps put it, yeah cameras might be better, but are greatly more susceptible to mechanical failure.

in my line of work if you cant have a non-mechanical safety device you need multiples of mechanical ones to provide a degree of safety through redundancy.

now electronic mirrors in cars is not on the same level of life/death safety measures needed for say un-vented hot water storage or gas appliances that i'm basing the argument on but what i'm saying still rings true

i'd love to have cameras for mirrors, love all that high tech shit but i think it'll be a long time before they are proven reliable enough and cheap enough to be put into mass production, we'll defiantly see more and more of them in concept cars / at car shows etc.

Smeg: Fuzz commands a lot and promotes good teamwork, db flips vehicles, Bosco is an all-round nub, Outlawz is an SP whore, Nickbond is a friggin ninja and Rhino gets kicked for being a n00b.
Nickbond592 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-19, 10:42   #6925
Midnight_o9
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatshisname55 View Post
How exactly do you plan to drive a car without electricity? In such a situation, I think non-functioning cameras are the least of your worries.
It can be just a short circuit or one of the cameras suddenly not working, you never know, even with some of the car you'd expect to be totally exempt of defects :

(the guy bought a brand new porsche 911, but ever since he's only had troubles with it so he made a bunch of videos about those problems and some are... wow)

one of these problems being all the electronics rebooting at every bump...
Midnight_o9 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-19, 11:13   #6926
whatshisname55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight_o9 View Post
one of these problems being all the electronics rebooting at every bump...
Surely that would be covered under warranty?

Anyway, who says we can't have redundancy? Many cars already have rear facing cameras but they still have rear view mirrors. The energy and cost savings from manufacturing cars without mirrors would be negligible.

All electric cars on the other hand...
whatshisname55 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-19, 11:16   #6927
MaSSive

after watching his video, the rebooting electronics were the less threatening issue with it. This man could of die. Faulty wiring, all over, short circuits on broken wires, smoke in the car, wow.

That's why I hate electronics and dislike relying on them too much. Maybe its one in a million but you never know. If it happened to Porsche it can happen anywhere.

I should trust a camera instead of a plain mirror and my own pair of eyes? No. Not soon at least.

CATA4TW!
"People never lie so much as before an election, during a war, or after a hunt."
"God has a special providence for fools, drunks, and the United States of America."
― Otto von Bismarck
MaSSive is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-19, 12:46   #6928
Steeps
Supporting Member

My primary example would be BMWs. Parents back home had an X5 and then a 6-series. They were both pretty bad with their electrical systems.

Like not even two years after owning them, they would have problems with lights, audio systems, and a bunch of minor glitches that would have to be fixed at the dealership. That's why I'm against digital mirrors. Maybe if they were displayed in a regular mirror in case they failed then I would be okay with it.

Steeps is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-19, 14:58   #6929
=TFU= M-Coke

Mirror breaks buy a new one and replace it.
Camera breaks take it to dealership, "yeah that's <insert ridiculously over inflated price here>"
=TFU= M-Coke is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-19, 15:10   #6930
Xander[nl]
Supporting Member

Send a message via MSN to Xander[nl]

Quote:
My primary example would be BMWs. Parents back home had an X5 and then a 6-series. They were both pretty bad with their electrical systems.

Like not even two years after owning them, they would have problems with lights, audio systems, and a bunch of minor glitches that would have to be fixed at the dealership. That's why I'm against digital mirrors. Maybe if they were displayed in a regular mirror in case they failed then I would be okay with it.
It's really dependent on the manufacturer or model I guess, because we had a Citro?n C4 Grand Picasso which already had a lot of electrical systems and a pretty fancy computer for its time (and price class) and nothing ever broke in 5 years.
Well, nothing electrical anyway.

In the end the computer completely crashed though causing several things (like the electronic parking break) to malfunction which made the car undrivable and we had to either replace the computer or buy a new car (so we bought the new C4 GP).
Xander[nl] is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
awesome or omg or wtf, poxo is ghey, thread