project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support > Hardware & Custom Builds
24 Oct 2021, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Hardware & Custom Builds Discussion on Computer Hardware & Custom Builds

Old 2014-03-10, 22:10   #31
ElshanF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeps View Post
Yeah I love my Logitech G500. It really is preference between all the models they have. Just don't get a mouse with 9000 buttons, it isn't necessary. I have like 3 or 4 on mine. Really nice using one of them as a Teamspeak talk button.
Loved that thing. G700s is a big recommended upgrade though. It's amazing. Just more comfortable, -some- more G-keys and amazing wireless preformance. My g500 left clicker was a tad broke so Christmas came in handy !
ElshanF is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-11, 08:45   #32
[R-DEV]​LITOralis.nMd
Lead Support Technician
Supporting Member
Default Re: New gaming PC dilemma

I'd suggest going up one step from this:
Motherboard
ASUS Z87-A ATX LGA1150 Z87 - $154.99

Specifically at your price range, you can get much better VRMs, MosFETS, capacitors and conductors for a few dollars more.

Here is the big list of Z87 motherboards,
Sin's Hardware - VRM List

LITOralis.nMd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-11, 11:12   #33
Psyrus
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-COM]LITOralis.nMd View Post
I'd suggest going up one step from this:
Motherboard
ASUS Z87-A ATX LGA1150 Z87 - $154.99

Specifically at your price range, you can get much better VRMs, MosFETS, capacitors and conductors for a few dollars more.

Here is the big list of Z87 motherboards,
Sin's Hardware - VRM List
I used to be really into hardware/builds and that list means nothing to me... What would you recommend for him?
Psyrus is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-12, 06:35   #34
[R-DEV]​LITOralis.nMd
Lead Support Technician
Supporting Member

The general idea is if you're going to buy the i7-4770k and that excellent CPU cooler, you still need a motherboard able to run at overclocked frequencies for years on end without mobo components burning out.

With that said, and the facts that this is your money, and I'm a cheapskate, let's find the best bang for the buck to get a mobo that lasts:

ASUS:
Z-87 Expert
Z-87 Pro V (lowest spec'ed Asus I'd recommend for long term use) ( I own the Z-77 Pro V myself)
MAXIMUS VI GENE
MAXIMUS VI HERO
Good read on the Asus LGA1150 line up: ASUS Motherboard Differences & Naming Convention | Gamers Nexus - Gaming PC Builds & Hardware Benchmarks

ASROCK:
Z87 Extreme4 (This has been on sale very good prices in recent months, also least over-spec'ed of my recommendations)
Z87 Extreme6

GIGABYTE:
Z87X UD4H

MSI:
Z87‑GD65 GAMING (the least over spec'ed of what I'm recommending)
Z87 MPOWER MAX

In short got o Sinhardware link above, and anything that has high ratings on components and is recommended for liquid cooling would be a possibility. Then you have to pare it down to your price range.
Which is what I did above.

LITOralis.nMd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-12, 12:30   #35
Steeps
Supporting Member

I would recommend the ASUS Pro V personally. I wish I had gone with the Pro version for mine because I have currently run out of SATA plugs with the plain V version I have.

Steeps is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-12, 13:31   #36
Psyrus
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-COM]LITOralis.nMd View Post
The general idea is if you're going to buy the i7-4770k and that excellent CPU cooler, you still need a motherboard able to run at overclocked frequencies for years on end without mobo components burning out.
Does he even plan to overclock?
Psyrus is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-12, 13:38   #37
X-Alt

A bit overkill, eh? You don't need 500000+ VRM phases to handle a 4770K.. A Z87-PRO\A will suffice... Even so, the 4770K is an odd chip, it really has problems going past 4.2 on the 50% and the other 50% of chips can get around 4.4-4.6 with out ridiculous amounts of voltz. A HAF-X is IMO, a bad choice... go 760T or 750D, newer and actually support decent WC loops.. If you want a HAF, go 932 or even better, the Stacker.....!
X-Alt is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-15, 05:51   #38
Zulnex
Supporting Member

Thank you so much for your help everyone!

I will use ASUS Z87-A ATX Motherboard and a Corsair 750D case.

As always, please feel free to suggest. This build will probably be final by the end of Sunday and I will start ordering parts next week.

Zulnex is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
dilemma, gaming