project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support > Hardware & Custom Builds
22 Oct 2021, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Hardware & Custom Builds Discussion on Computer Hardware & Custom Builds

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2014-03-09, 06:24   #11
Zulnex
Supporting Member

Zulnex's Avatar
Default Re: New gaming PC dilemma

Hello everyone. Here is my preliminary build. Feel free to suggest and I will make the necessary changes.

Graphics
GeForce GTX 770 2GB - $369.99
http://products.ncix.com/detail/giga...84048-1285.htm

CPU
Intel Core i7 4770K - $369.99
http://products.ncix.com/detail/inte...81325-1382.htm

CPU Heatsink + Fan
Noctua NH-D14 - $89.99
http://products.ncix.com/detail/noct...66-am3-fm1-86-
47090.htm

Motherboard
ASUS Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 - $224.99
http://products.ncix.com/detail/asus...x-66-84529.htm

RAM
Corsair Vengeance Red CMZ8GX3M2X1600C7R 8GB - $136.98
http://products.ncix.com/detail/cors...b-1d-66915.htm

Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - $99.99

Sound Card

ASUS Xonar D1 7.1 Channel - $94.99
http://products.ncix.com/detail/asus...l-e3-39269.htm

Power Supply
Corsair TX750 750W - $139.98
http://products.ncix.com/detail/cors...v-fc-58382.htm

Case
Cooler Master HAF X - $189.98
http://products.ncix.com/detail/cool...x-10-53776.htm

Monitor
ASUS VG248QE 24Inch - $309.99
http://products.ncix.com/detail/asus...80244-1285.htm

Mouse
Logitech G600 - $64.99
http://products.ncix.com/detail/logi...74357-1359.htm

Keyboard
Logitech G105 - $49.99
http://products.ncix.com/detail/logi...82199-1285.htm

Grand Total: $2141.85

I am still thinking about that G Sync monitor by Nvidia.

As I have said earlier, this is just a preliminary list and will be amended as you offer your suggestions.

I appreciate your help very much everyone.


Zulnex is offline
Last edited by Zulnex; 2014-03-09 at 06:34..
Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-09, 06:34   #12
[R-DEV]​LITOralis.nMd
Lead Support Technician
Supporting Member
Default Re: New gaming PC dilemma

Now you're just showing off.

Enjoy!

LITOralis.nMd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-09, 06:39   #13
Zulnex
Supporting Member

Zulnex's Avatar
Default Re: New gaming PC dilemma

Thank you. Actually, I am thinking if I have spent too much on some parts. Feel free to suggest.


Zulnex is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-09, 09:59   #14
ShockUnitBlack

ShockUnitBlack's Avatar
Default Re: New gaming PC dilemma

Buying a mechanical keyboard and an SSD might be worth it if you're planning on spending that sort of money. Also, I'm doubtful buying exclusively from NCIX is going to give you the best prices. Are you going to be shipping?

"I Want To Spend The Rest Of My Life With You Tonight."
ShockUnitBlack is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-09, 12:41   #15
Steeps
Supporting Member

Steeps's Avatar
Default

How badly do you actually need a sound card? Most new ASUS motherboards are comparable sound-wise to separate cards. You could replace that card with an SSD which will be much more useful in my opinion.


Steeps is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-09, 13:35   #16
Careless

Careless's Avatar
Default Re: New gaming PC dilemma

Make sure to have a good price/performance ratio.

There's a lot of "crap" to be honest, that a "generic gamer" doesn't need, or will not see any visible/audible performance in 95% of the cases.
I think they call it marketing.

But then again, it's my opinion. I'd rather save a thousand dollars than buying myself a system which is not proportional to the money I pay for it.

It'll sound rude, but don't see it as something personal/intended to harm you, but the fact that you're asking for advice maybe shows that you're a bit ignorant about this (just like me and everyone else is/was)
Think twice before buying and ask yourself if you really need it.

Man, I sound like a grandpa, "back in my days we were happy with a horse made of sticks and a leather boot"

Anyway..

Careless is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-09, 13:41   #17
Psyrus
Retired PR Developer
Default Re: New gaming PC dilemma

I feel like you're overpaying for items you don't need and won't use. The following areas really stand out to me:
  • CPU - Save the $100 and get the 4670K - You're already buying an awesome heatsink so overclocking will mitigate the difference easily
  • RAM - There's no need to spend such an excessive amount on the RAM... unless you have some kind of justification
  • MOTHERBOARD - specs are also way above what you need, IMO. Do you have any plans to TRIPLE-SLI?
  • SOUNDCARD - is also a waste of money unless you're a major audiophile, IMO.
  • MOUSE - seems like massive overkill... unless you're gonna be playing a lot of MMOs? The price isn't bad, it just seems like an unwieldy mouse.

With the money you save, you can either beef up your GPU since you are going to want to get 140+FPS to take full advantage of your monitor's high refresh rate... or, I would really recommend an SSD
http://products.ncix.com/detail/sams...87760-1382.htm

As mentioned above, if you're getting it from NCIX due to them building it for you... fair enough... but you could save probably in the order of $50 just by shopping around for different parts from various stores.

Furthermore, the more you save now, the more you can stow-away for incremental upgrades down the line so you don't have to wait until your rig is slow and crappy before doing another big overhaul.
Psyrus is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-09, 13:45   #18
Zulnex
Supporting Member

Zulnex's Avatar
Default Re: New gaming PC dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockUnitBlack View Post
Buying a mechanical keyboard and an SSD might be worth it if you're planning on spending that sort of money. Also, I'm doubtful buying exclusively from NCIX is going to give you the best prices. Are you going to be shipping?
Well, I figured I can save on shipping instead of ordering from different places. I will try Newegg and see if the prices will be different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeps View Post
How badly do you actually need a sound card? Most new ASUS motherboards are comparable sound-wise to separate cards. You could replace that card with an SSD which will be much more useful in my opinion.
This just shows lack of knowledge in PCs. I always thought that a separate sound card needs to be purchased when building a gaming PC.
I am glad I do not need one then. That money can be used for my G Sync monitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Careless View Post
Make sure to have a good price/performance ratio.

There's a lot of "crap" to be honest, that a "generic gamer" doesn't need, or will not see any visible/audible performance in 95% of the cases.

I think they call it marketing.


But then again, it's my opinion. I'd rather save a thousand dollars than buying myself a system which is not proportional to the money I pay for it.

Great point. I was just thinking about it. I am thinking that my price/performance ratio is not that great.


Zulnex is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-09, 13:51   #19
Zulnex
Supporting Member

Zulnex's Avatar
Default Re: New gaming PC dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]Psyrus View Post
I feel like you're overpaying for items you don't need and won't use. The following areas really stand out to me:
  • CPU - Save the $100 and get the 4670K - You're already buying an awesome heatsink so overclocking will mitigate the difference easily
  • RAM - There's no need to spend such an excessive amount on the RAM... unless you have some kind of justification
  • MOTHERBOARD - specs are also way above what you need, IMO. Do you have any plans to TRIPLE-SLI?
  • SOUNDCARD - is also a waste of money unless you're a major audiophile, IMO.
  • MOUSE - seems like massive overkill... unless you're gonna be playing a lot of MMOs? The price isn't bad, it just seems like an unwieldy mouse.

With the money you save, you can either beef up your GPU since you are going to want to get 140+FPS to take full advantage of your monitor's high refresh rate... or, I would really recommend an SSD
http://products.ncix.com/detail/sams...87760-1382.htm

As mentioned above, if you're getting it from NCIX due to them building it for you... fair enough... but you could save probably in the order of $50 just by shopping around for different parts from various stores.

Furthermore, the more you save now, the more you can stow-away for incremental upgrades down the line so you don't have to wait until your rig is slow and crappy before doing another big overhaul.
Great points! I knew that my preliminary list is quite pricey. I will definitely not order from the same store and will compare to others.

I am so glad I have not wasted my money in things which I do not need.


Zulnex is offline
Last edited by Zulnex; 2014-03-09 at 14:03..
Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-09, 14:03   #20
I-Omer-I
Default Re: New gaming PC dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulnex View Post
Hello everyone. Here is my preliminary build. Feel free to suggest and I will make the necessary changes.

Graphics
GeForce GTX 770 2GB - $369.99
http://products.ncix.com/detail/giga...84048-1285.htm

CPU
Intel Core i7 4770K - $369.99
http://products.ncix.com/detail/inte...81325-1382.htm

CPU Heatsink + Fan
Noctua NH-D14 - $89.99
http://products.ncix.com/detail/noct...66-am3-fm1-86-
47090.htm

Motherboard
ASUS Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 - $224.99
http://products.ncix.com/detail/asus...x-66-84529.htm

RAM
Corsair Vengeance Red CMZ8GX3M2X1600C7R 8GB - $136.98
http://products.ncix.com/detail/cors...b-1d-66915.htm

Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - $99.99

Sound Card

ASUS Xonar D1 7.1 Channel - $94.99
http://products.ncix.com/detail/asus...l-e3-39269.htm

Power Supply
Corsair TX750 750W - $139.98
http://products.ncix.com/detail/cors...v-fc-58382.htm

Case
Cooler Master HAF X - $189.98
http://products.ncix.com/detail/cool...x-10-53776.htm

Monitor
ASUS VG248QE 24Inch - $309.99
http://products.ncix.com/detail/asus...80244-1285.htm

Mouse
Logitech G600 - $64.99
http://products.ncix.com/detail/logi...74357-1359.htm

Keyboard
Logitech G105 - $49.99
http://products.ncix.com/detail/logi...82199-1285.htm

Grand Total: $2141.85

I am still thinking about that G Sync monitor by Nvidia.

As I have said earlier, this is just a preliminary list and will be amended as you offer your suggestions.

I appreciate your help very much everyone.
My Computer:

-ASUS K53 Series Notebok
-Intel Core i3 370M
-2 GB RAM
-2.4 GHz
-3 years old
-It cost 650$

so my computer is better than yours!!!
I-Omer-I is offline Reply With Quote
Reply


Tags
dilemma, gaming
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 23:35.