project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support > Hardware & Custom Builds
22 Oct 2021, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Hardware & Custom Builds Discussion on Computer Hardware & Custom Builds

Old 2014-03-02, 15:06   #1
Zulnex
Supporting Member

Default New gaming PC dilemma

Hello dear PR community.

I have finally saved money for a new gaming PC and my budget is $2000.

As the thread title suggests - I am having a serious dilemma about where to go and what to do in order to buy my new gaming PC.

Pre built gaming PC

I have seen many different companies which sell pre-built gaming PCs and have noticed that the prices vary and can be thousands of dollars.

For example:

Digital Storm: Gaming Computers & Custom PCs Built To Dominate

Custom Gaming Computers and Laptops: iBUYPOWER? Gaming PC

Custom Gaming PC, Custom Gaming Computers, Canada Online Computer

The above mentioned companies have many different options available for all budgets.

However, they seem to be expensive.

Building my own PC

I really like this option much better but there are some serious obstacles:

- I do not know how to build PCs
- Due to work (truck driver), I only have time on weekends if I am lucky
- Where to find someone who can build it for me? I have no friends so I would need to go to a local PC repair shop and have them assemble it for me

And the most important point
- Once all the parts have been ordered, would I actually save any money compared to buying pre built gaming PCs ?

So, there we have it.

Sorry if my thread is a bit long.

Your help will be appreciated very much.

Last edited by Zulnex; 2014-03-02 at 15:21..
Old 2014-03-02, 15:13   #2
Psyrus
Retired PR Developer
Default Re: New gaming PC dilemma

To answer the relevant parts of your post:
  • Assembling your purchased parts yourself is easy. It took me a grand total of 2.5 hours my first time as a 14 year old... I can whack a PC together in around 30-40 minutes nowadays (depending on how easy the case is to work with)
  • You get much more customization and therefore less buyers remorse, assuming you choose well
  • You will indeed save money by going piecemeal, and you'll be able to set yourself a more fluid upgrade path for the future.
  • $2000 is excessive unless you're buying all new peripherals as well, in my opinion. Better to spend $1200-1500 now then put the other $500 towards future upgrades. It pays good dividends, trust me
Psyrus is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-02, 15:17   #3
Zulnex
Supporting Member

Hello Psyrus

Thank you very much for your valuable input.

I have forgotten to mention that in that price, I have included a new monitor as well. So that is $2000 including a decent gaming monitor.

I guess, I may have to start looking where to get it assembled. Wishing I could do it myself but I am a total noob in this field.

Any suggestions where can I order parts (ebay, NCIX, etc...)?

Zulnex is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-02, 15:54   #4
Psyrus
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulnex View Post
I guess, I may have to start looking where to get it assembled. Wishing I could do it myself but I am a total noob in this field.
Did your parents ever give you lego? Putting together a PC is probably easier than most lego builds.

As a good base, just use the "Outstanding" build here for a good base, then add/change/subtract parts that you deem need it.

Some online stores for you in Canada:
TigerDirect.ca - Computers, Computer Parts, Computer Components, Netbooks & Electronics
NCIX.com - Canada's Premier Computer Store - Online PC Discount Store, Buy Computer Accessories
Newegg Canada - Computer Products, Laptops, Electronics, HDTVs, Digital Cameras, Cellphones and More!

Edit:
I use one of these as a screen and it's great for the price
http://products.ncix.com/detail/benq...82753-1064.htm
Last edited by [R-DEV]Psyrus; 2014-03-02 at 15:59..
Old 2014-03-02, 15:59   #5
Zulnex
Supporting Member

No, I never had lego. Played with my toy trucks instead.

Many thanks for the links Psyrus. Those are very helpful.

Edit:
Wow, that is a beautiful monitor. A lot cheaper than what I thought it would be. Figured a decent monitor is around $400. Glad I am wrong.

Once again, thank you so much Psyrus. You have made it very easy for a PC noob like me.

Last edited by Zulnex; 2014-03-02 at 16:11..
Old 2014-03-02, 16:12   #6
Careless

NCIX is good

They also have a channel on Youtube with Linus from Linustechtips.

If I'm right they do give you an option of choosing your own components and assembling it for almost no extra fees. A lot of big companies do that.

Careless is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-02, 21:05   #7
[R-DEV]​LITOralis.nMd
Lead Support Technician
Supporting Member

For you build, use the Canadian pricing website: Pick Parts, Build Your PC, Compare and Share - PCPartPicker Canada
To make it even simpler, you can find completed builds, and just copy them, and search for optimal pricing from some Canadian online stores. (Note that not all onlie CA stores are represented on partspicker.com )

At the CA$2000 price point, I'd highly suggest getting a 120Hz or 144Hz monitor. It's really the only way to get the full experience from what's in the box.

The website has the following merchants' prices listed real time:
Quote:
Merchant Tax Rate Merchant Tax Rate Merchant Tax Rate
Amazon Canada %
Logitech Canada %
Newegg Canada %
Canada Computers %
Memory Express %
TigerDirect Canada %
DirectCanada %
NCIX %
Vuugo %

LITOralis.nMd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-03, 03:54   #8
ShockUnitBlack

For a monitor, I'd like to recommend the 144Hz ASUS VG248QE for ~$280. I bought one a month ago and it is really, really good.

Just make sure you calibrate the colors.

Also, if you have a MemoryExpress nearby, their pricematch policy is excellent. They'll match the price of any competitor, then subtract 25% of the difference.

"I Want To Spend The Rest Of My Life With You Tonight."
ShockUnitBlack is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-03, 15:22   #9
Zulnex
Supporting Member

I appreciate your help very much everyone.

Thanks to your valuable suggestions, I am making a list of components for my new PC. I will post it here for your final reviews once I am done.
It may take some time due to work schedule unfortunately.

Zulnex is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-04, 00:08   #10
Steeps
Supporting Member

For that ASUS monitor that Black suggested, make sure you check out the NVIDIA G-SYNC.

Steeps is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
dilemma, gaming