project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
04 Dec 2021, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

Old 2014-08-18, 17:34   #11
hardon

Default Re: Identify this chopper designation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]Wicca View Post
I tried taking some photos of helicopters in my country, but I couldnt lock on since their rotors were moving too fast.
Dude, blades doesn't emit heat that much. You should try to lock on the exhausts.

You can't make the same mistake twice, the second time you make it, it's no longer a mistake. It is a choise.
hardon is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-18, 17:39   #12
B2P1

My phone came with a buk system.
B2P1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-18, 19:43   #13
[R-DEV]​Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardon View Post
Dude, blades doesn't emit heat that much. You should try to lock on the exhausts.
The blades don't emit any heat, in fact they are colder than their surroundings from all the wind chill they create. This is why on modern choppers like the Lynx Wildcat the engine exhaust is directed up into the rotor blades so the blades help to mast its signature, where the old Lynx doesn't.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-18, 20:00   #14
BroCop

Rhino, at the cost of being "that guy" (no no...not "that guy", the other "that guy"), you didnt get the joke

BroCop is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-19, 00:22   #15
Spec
Retired Moderator
Supporting Member

Or maybe he did, but was too cool to care :P

--- currently reduced activity ---
Thanks to [R-MOD]IINoddyII for the signature!
Old 2014-08-19, 14:01   #16
hardon

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
The blades don't emit any heat, in fact they are colder than their surroundings from all the wind chill they create.
But, but... They do.. I suppose it is caused by friction as they span across the air in such a high speeds, you can see it most clearly on the tip of the blades because it is the one traveling the most distance fastest, or then it is just the exhaust heating up the blades. I guess there are some materials used nowadays though to make the heat signature even lower, making the blades "invisible".

I dont have reference pictures, and I would think capturing such image would need some sophisticated IR equipment anyways, but I was able to find this:
Seeing in the Dark: Defense Applications of IR imaging | Optics & Photonics News

But then again, I also found this picture of boobies in infra-red:
http://www.chiropracticnyc.com/sites...ermography.png

There is also this nice effect which I remember seeing with the blades in sandstorm or something, as they swirl around they leave sparkles behind due to hitting dust particles.

You can't make the same mistake twice, the second time you make it, it's no longer a mistake. It is a choise.
hardon is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-20, 19:14   #17
B2P1

I don't believe you, I think I'm gonna need more of these boobies in infra red pictures, and some in the visible spectrum as well please.
B2P1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-28, 15:05   #18
Flowright

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie View Post
It's the MRH-90 Taipan. NHIndustries NH90 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quite a few countries are having issues with it though.
Terrific; thanks eddie!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampo View Post
nh-90.
couldnt just have been hard to google australian military choppers?
edit:nnj'd
I tried that and first link on Wikipedia - no NH-90. Google image gives me the HIND used in PR (double seat) - not what I wanted. But thanks anyway.

EDIT: oh it was under the headline of MRH 90. My bad. Oh, and also I noticed why I skipped the NH90 - the wikipedia image made me think it was a German aircraft
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHIndus...ILA-2006_2.jpg

And oh, those who wondered - I ain't looking for credits. It's just I put in online to use as a cover page for my FB and wanted the designation in the description.

This was not shot by a phone. It wouldn't be that sharp; it was shot using a telephoto lens, specifically at 200mm zoom.

Case close
Last edited by Flowright; 2014-08-28 at 15:15..

Tags
chopper, designation, identify