project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
29 May 2020, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2020-04-04, 07:06   #1
_Rogue_Assassin_
Default Jet and AA

Since when ur ping affects the hit-reg of aa missiles? i have like 5 videos of me shooting jets and missile exploding on them but not killing them or even doing any damage due to 150 ping, or maybe for some other reason id be interested to hear about
_Rogue_Assassin_ is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-04, 07:59   #2
[R-DEV]​AlonTavor
PR:BF2 Developer
PR Server License Administrator
Default Re: Jet and AA

Since always. I do plan to look into it in the future
AlonTavor is online now Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-04, 15:57   #3
_Rogue_Assassin_

I guess cause aa was broken i didn't really feel it before.. Please do <3
_Rogue_Assassin_ is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-07, 12:50   #4
DogACTUAL

You most likely experienced this glitch, i explained it here:

Not only did the DEVs totally throw off the CAS/AA balance and make TOWs useless against tanks, no that was not enough. They also had to introduce their most controversial change yet, a 16 character limit on player names.
------------------
''Mats literally does not give a single fuck what you, me or everybody else thinks the game should be like. He doesn't care if you, me or everybody else plays the game even.'' - Frontliner
DogACTUAL is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-07, 12:57   #5
[R-DEV]​AlonTavor

I believe its due to lag compensation. I will look into disabling it on a per-weapon basis after 1.6
Blame DICE
Old 2020-04-07, 13:18   #6
DogACTUAL

So what is the mechanism behind this? Does the damage not occur in these cases because the missile actually triggered further away from the jet on the server than what it looks like to the player?

Not only did the DEVs totally throw off the CAS/AA balance and make TOWs useless against tanks, no that was not enough. They also had to introduce their most controversial change yet, a 16 character limit on player names.
------------------
''Mats literally does not give a single fuck what you, me or everybody else thinks the game should be like. He doesn't care if you, me or everybody else plays the game even.'' - Frontliner
Old 2020-04-07, 13:20   #7
[R-DEV]​AlonTavor

The server rewinds targets back in time to compensate for ping when calculating collision and explosions. Obviously that's not a good idea when the projectile isn't controlled by the player
Old 2020-04-07, 19:40   #8
Danesh_italiano
Supporting Member

A little change that could help a LOT and can be on 1.6 is adding back the sound/visual warn WHEN you are getting lock.... Right know you only hear lock sound when youre already locked and with AA missile on you.

So sei que nada sei.
Danesh_italiano is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-08, 12:08   #9
DogACTUAL

Would only make sense for radar guided missiles like the AMRAAMs, but not for the AIM-9s and such that have passive IR sensor guidance. And i think the engine can't make a distinction between the two.
On the other hand it is already unrealistic having AIM-9s trigger a warning after lock-on, so maybe you have a point (or just imagine jets are equipped with MAWS). And i mean jet gameplay is already so arcade like and over the top in PR might as well add it.

DEVs before you fix the glitch can you please make sure you have at least somewhat fixed flares? Because right now the glitch is the best defense against incoming AA missiles jets have, back when i was still playing i used the glitch almost every time to defend against incoming missiles, without it jets are virtually defenseless in the current meta (even preflaring won't help against AA vehicles and air to air missiles from other jets).

------------------
Old 2020-04-08, 18:05   #10
[R-DEV]​Rhino
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogACTUAL View Post
Would only make sense for radar guided missiles like the AMRAAMs, but not for the AIM-9s and such that have passive IR sensor guidance. And i think the engine can't make a distinction between the two.
Indeed, as mentioned many times before, the BF2 engine only has two Target Objects. (Well, technically there are three target objects but only two can be attach to another object as the "TTUnique" target is used for weapons that guide their own projectile like wire-guided ATGMs and can't be attached to a vehicle/projectile).

TTHeat - which is attached to aircraft and flares, and what all Air to Air & Surface to Air Weapons track (with the exception of CLOS SAMs like the Blowpipe).

TTLaser - which is attached to the Laser Designator (in vBF2, land vehicles as there was no SOFLAM) and what all Air to Ground Weapons that lock onto the painted target, like LGBs, track.
This is also what the Exoect Anti-Ship missile tracks on the Falklands map all other air to ground weapons used by the Argentinians on that map are dumb weapons so it's freed up for that use.

We currently have no way to, or expect to have any way to, add any more Target Objects to the BF2 Engine, nor do we have or can think of any decent workarounds the current missile tracking system that would be better and allow for more target objects.

We obviously would love to have the ability to have different targets between Heat Seeking and Radar Tracking Weapons, and many more on top of that, but we can only work with what we've got.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote