project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
05 Dec 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Old 2010-10-29, 08:02   #101
UberWazuSoldier
Default Re: [Code] Fast Roping Workshop

Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you can't spawn grappling hooks from vehicles. It crashes very messily.

I don't like saying "no way", but I can't see any situation where a real rope could be put on the vehicle. It's possible without the animations and rope, but those are the key graphical cues and it would be a shame not to have them.

UberWazuSoldier is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-30, 02:33   #102
ShockUnitBlack

What if the fastrope wasn't attached to the helo but instead is either -

A - A completely seperate, independent entity spawned in the same manner FOB's are that acts as a temporary ladder? This theoretically works because under the above concept, as the player is falling immediately after leaving the helo, not going off the ladder, and therefore can "enter" the fastrope entity.

B - Anchored to a stationary dummy vehicle, located where the real helo is, giving the impression the fastropes are attached to the helo when they in fact are not?
ShockUnitBlack is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-30, 23:24   #103
UberWazuSoldier

Well, you can't spawn the rope in any way other than a weapon fired by a soldier; neither vehicles nor python can spawn it.

So that means you'd have to do a static rope, which would be pretty cheesy, but I have an idea.

A. Can't work because ladders cannot be created in realtime (which is surprising, but crippling).

B. The player couldn't grab on to a specific line.

However, I see where you're going with those ideas, so I guess here's C (a combination of Python, ForceObjects and your A and B)

When you bail out and have specified you want to fastrope, python can spawn a dummy bundle with no collisionMesh. The bundle would be a rope, fully extended (basically a thin black cylinder). Python would then move the rope along with the vehicle, making sure the top lines up with the helicopter, but the back is able to dangle down. ForceObjects kick in on the player to reduce their falling speed so they don't die when they touch down, and Python moves them along the rope. When Python detects they've hit something (which it can do because the Player will suddenly stop being able to be moved down), the Python will delete the rope object, reset the forceobjects, and let the player move on their merry way.

Problems: No climbing animation and players can shoot (which is basically stemmed from the same thing).

So yes, with that idea the rope would technically pass through buildings, but that's not a dreadful limitation, and the system is quite implementable. Perhaps I'll try make this system some time next week if I get a chance.

Old 2010-10-31, 03:22   #104
ShockUnitBlack

I'm convinced a static could be made to work. However, you could avoid the process of having to do this Python would then move the rope along with the vehicle, making sure the top lines up with the helicopter, but the back is able to dangle down, by forcing the helo to hover above the ground, otherwise wholly inmobile, for X seconds after fastropes are deployed.

I really think we've stumbled on something here.

Edit - I agree, the problem with the ropes going through buildings probably wouldn't be that big considering that any enemies inside the building the ropes are deployed to (and sticking through the roof) would be well-aware of the fact a helo is above them, due to the the noise.

Well, you can't spawn the rope in any way other than a weapon fired by a soldier; neither vehicles nor python can spawn it. Can you spawn a static ladder?
Last edited by ShockUnitBlack; 2010-10-31 at 03:27..
Old 2010-10-31, 20:17   #105
Imchicken1

I know what Shock is getting at. It's just alot harder to explain on the internet than it is IRL (imo)

When he explained it to me, it made total sense, but its just different when reading it, rather than listening/debating about it in realtime

I won't cluck for you
Imchicken1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-01, 05:48   #106
UberWazuSoldier

Well, for whatever reason BF2 has a hissy fit when you try to spawn any ladder in-game, haha. I suppose forcing the heli into a hover would be one way to avoid the tricky trigonometry and it would simplify it nicely, which is always a good thing.

I think I'll start having a go at it this afternoon.

EDIT: Just had an idea to eliminate the problem of the ropes going through buildings, and it will look good if it works too. Definitely gonna work on this a bit, it seems interesting.

Last edited by UberWazuSoldier; 2010-11-01 at 07:52..
Old 2010-11-02, 05:48   #107
Imchicken1

YouTube - Project Reality chopper action and fastroping.

Just thought i'd share that

Very glitchy, and from an early version of PR, but thought i'd just put it out there

Sorry if i stole anyones vid

I won't cluck for you
Old 2010-11-02, 09:30   #108
UberWazuSoldier

Looks like regular grappling hooks haha.

Old 2010-11-03, 06:45   #109
Imchicken1

They are. Which is what makes them so great

I won't cluck for you
Old 2012-02-28, 04:47   #110
Archerchef
Supporting Member

Soo... how bout we make fast rope only deployable under certain speeds so it forces the pilot to hover to deploy them and prevents people from falling out of chopper because its hovering.
Archerchef is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
code, fast, roping, workshop