project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
13 Dec 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2018-02-06, 01:04   #41
agus92
Default Re: HAT being snatched at beginning of round.

I don't think most of the incompetent people I've seen rushing HAT's at the beginning of the round would care enough to steal a logi or being AFK just for the HAT. There isn't as much asset whoring mentality around the HAT as with TANKs. If the problem is so noteworthy is because how easy to snatch the kit is.

And of course a flexible, map dependant approach is needed for a possible HAT timer. The moment mappers decide to deviate from standard timers for assets, all counter assets have to adapt as well, which is not possible to do with HAT's r/n. If anything, I bet mappers would love to be able to fiddle with this parameter, because of its importance for balance.

Finally, @Aleon, you want to make the asset claimable by a specialized AT squad, which at the same time is regular INF? Makes absolutely no sense, sorry.
agus92 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-06, 02:27   #42
Murphy

Thinking delaying the availability of the HAT will solve this problem is short sighted. The same people will do the same thing when it goes into the kit pool. At least making it a claimable asset would actually address the problem.

Murphy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-06, 07:56   #43
FFG
Project Reality Beta Tester
PR Server License Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
Thinking delaying the availability of the HAT will solve this problem is short sighted. The same people will do the same thing when it goes into the kit pool. At least making it a claimable asset would actually address the problem.
Making it claimable sounds like a terrible idea from an admin POV.

FFG is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-06, 11:00   #44
Aleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by agus92 View Post
Finally, @Aleon, you want to make the asset claimable by a specialized AT squad, which at the same time is regular INF?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleon View Post
No one said it has to be a specialized squad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by agus92 View Post
Makes absolutely no sense, sorry.
Ehm.

If only an infantry squad could use some other asset in conjunction with being infantry... The HAT kit's purpose is to give infantry a tool which is a threat to heavy armor. You give the HAT kit to an inf squad. They will be a threat to heavy armor. Duh. But any of this is fucking irrelevant to the main point. Your argument boils down to "not enoguh squad slots", but we already have the HAT in some squad. So it can obviously fit in somewhere. I give absolutely zero fuck about who claims the HAT. I never explicitly stated that it has to be an inf squad. I said "for example, HAT INF". Which is a demonstration of how an infantry squad would claim the kit. It could be a HAT APC or HAT TANK squad as far as I care. You're also implying that the HAT kit being in an infantry squad is somehow bad; yet you provide absolutely no clues as to which squad you master of PR would see the kit being used in. Please, for the love of god, if you reply to my post, address the actual points I'm making. It's not that difficult.

@FFG: Could you ellaborate why? To us non admin folks your statement kinda feels like a simply appeal to authority at the moment. HAT is a one-of-a-kind asset, so claiming it is super easy. And once a squad has claimed it, you can have server rules saying "claimed assets have to be utilized properly etc. etc.", so if the guys who claim it dick around in main base, you have actual rules backing you up. You can tell them to either start using the asset or let others use it. Normally servers have no rules regarding kits apart from "don't steal them", so it's kinda difficult to reason with the guy camping in L13 to go do something. It's also easy to keep the HAT in one squad, as it respawns within 5 mins. If the user bleeds out and respawns, he can immediately request the kit again.

Last edited by Aleon; 2018-02-06 at 11:09..
Old 2018-02-06, 12:57   #45
agus92

Quote:
The problem I see with claimability is that, unless it goes for tank squad, I don't see any criteria for who applies to the claim. But giving the HAT to tank squad takes away infantry anti tank capabilities in case friendly armour sucks.
Old 2018-02-06, 13:10   #46
agus92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleon View Post
Ehm.

If only an infantry squad could use some other asset in conjunction with being infantry... The HAT kit's purpose is to give infantry a tool which is a threat to heavy armor. You give the HAT kit to an inf squad. They will be a threat to heavy armor. Duh. But any of this is fucking irrelevant to the main point. Your argument boils down to "not enoguh squad slots", but we already have the HAT in some squad. So it can obviously fit in somewhere. I give absolutely zero fuck about who claims the HAT. I never explicitly stated that it has to be an inf squad. I said "for example, HAT INF". Which is a demonstration of how an infantry squad would claim the kit. It could be a HAT APC or HAT TANK squad as far as I care. You're also implying that the HAT kit being in an infantry squad is somehow bad; yet you provide absolutely no clues as to which squad you master of PR would see the kit being used in. Please, for the love of god, if you reply to my post, address the actual points I'm making. It's not that difficult
There's clearly an issue with nomenclature here. You say you want a squad to claim the HAT. I say then that this squad's role would be specialized around the use of the HAT. And, I add, if that's not the case, then claiming the HAT makes no sense.

Btw, I never said the HAT shouldn't go to INF, I think its a better tool in INF hands than armour, except cases where the latter is very well organized.

The way I see it, a dedicated HAT squad should consist of HAT+spotter. Then it would make sense for it to be claimable. But being limited to 9 squads, we lack the room.
Old 2018-02-07, 23:48   #47
Psyko

Quote:
this is kinda politics

you want what you want

but i think its more short sited to allow a random skill level person to statch.

i would prefer if the decision was strictly the squad leader's.

i agree my ideas were crap. but i think requesting HAT should have to be allowed by someone with authority.
Psyko is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-08, 11:58   #48
InfantryGamer42

Why dont try to make squad leader responsible for special kits. What I mean is that when somebody from your squad request special kit(HAT,AAsniper,spoter,...) squad leader gets messige whit yes and no respons. If he press yes you friend from squad whil get chance to use it. If he press no,he will not get that kit.
InfantryGamer42 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-08, 13:32   #49
PatrickLA_CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksa2000SM View Post
Why dont try to make squad leader responsible for special kits. What I mean is that when somebody from your squad request special kit(HAT,AAsniper,spoter,...) squad leader gets messige whit yes and no respons. If he press yes you friend from squad whil get chance to use it. If he press no,he will not get that kit.
That is a good idea that should be applied to kits that are not on the default spawnscreen to reduce spam, but you need to remember that this game runs on an engine from 2005 that is not open source. I wish there is a way to make it work but my hopes are not high.

PatrickLA_CA is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-08, 20:03   #50
Matrox
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyko View Post
this is kinda politics

you want what you want

but i think its more short sited to allow a random skill level person to statch.

i would prefer if the decision was strictly the squad leader's.

i agree my ideas were crap. but i think requesting HAT should have to be allowed by someone with authority.
No, HAT allocation works fine ingame, yes this problem happens but that's what Admins are for. It's easy to see who has picked up the HAT on scoreboard.

Bit of a nonsense thread if I am honest. Especially as PR is one of the most heavily admin'd games I play which is a massive plus.

If you can find the four ninjas in my post, pm me to find out the prize....

Soalic: Because Microsoft Word makes really good pictures.
Matrox is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
beginning, hat, round, snatched