project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
15 Dec 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2017-05-02, 17:13   #1
DefineHuman
Default New player with a few questions.

Hey all, I'd appreciate some help here. I really dig the game so far but it can get pretty frustrating when you've no idea what's going on.

1) Mumble: not sure if it's working. When I open Mumble configuration I can hear myself just fine with push to talk, but in-game the little icon at the bottom-right always has these two red stripes. I also have been playing for maybe a week now and I've never, ever heard anyone talk, much less respond, in voice chat. Even though the only three servers I've used (PRTA/EU 94/That other popular one with the weird name) mandated a mic. So is there any kind of error that could cause me not to hear anyone else? Any setting I need to change? Or am I joining the wrong servers?

Also, I keep seeing players getting kicked for not having mic, but I point out often that I'm not hearing anyone and unsure if my mic's working and no admin's actually said anything.

Hell, my squads have never used text chat either. Come to think of it there was a single instance where a SL used chat.

2) Squads: I'm getting into this one situation a lot where someone creates a squad, I join in, and they leave/rejoin to avoid being SL, or any variation thereof. Or otherwise I get kicked out of a squad with 7 players in it, and all other squads are full or require operating armor/helos. I genuinely despise this. Wtf am I to do? I can't be squadleader, I'm gonna get kicked if I'm not in a squad, and yet there are none around. It's a fucked-22.

3) What are the rules for taking light vehicles? Oftentimes I'll find myself miles away from the fight and there'll be no transport. So is it cool if I just grab a humvee w/ no turret when no one else is around?

So essentially there's an egregious lack of communication and I'm not sure if it's me or the squads & servers I've joined thus far.
DefineHuman is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-02, 17:37   #2
Filamu
Supporting Member
PR Server License Moderator

Default Re: New player with a few questions.

Well, the lack of communication is definitively mumble not working. There are lots of chatter in most squads. There should not be any icon in the bottom right except when you are talking (then its a green, blue or red marker).
I'm not sure what the problem is, you could try to restart mumble (quit it when on a server, it will autorestart) if that doesn't work, check the settings and if nothing obvious you could try a quick reinstall.
If your mumble isn't working you will be kicked out of most(all) good squads.

Taking a transport on your own, especially as a new player is generally frowned upon. Spawn close to the fight on fobs or be in a squad where the SL arranges something.

Fix mumble, you can't play without it.
Filamu is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-02, 17:57   #3
YAK-R
Project Reality Beta Tester
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filamu View Post
Taking a transport on your own, especially as a new player is generally frowned upon. Spawn close to the fight on fobs or be in a squad where the SL arranges something.
Just to add to this, try and join a squad before you spawn and ask the SL where you should be spawning, and if they need any particular kit.
YAK-R is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-02, 17:59   #4
Bastiannn

Hello,

1) The two red stripes means your mumble is either muted or deafened.
After you joined a server open your Mumble and look here

Make sure neither the Mic Icon or the Headset Icon are not having those red stripes, if they look like in the photo then your mumble is good meaning you can hear others and others can hear you.

2)
Quote:
I'm getting into this one situation a lot where someone creates a squad, I join in, and they leave/rejoin to avoid being SL, or any variation thereof.
Those squads are known as free kit squads. Basically a bunch of guys are just lone wolfing but they join that squad because they need the numbers to take a kit and do their thing afterwards.

After some more playing time you'll get to know the decent-good-ish squad leaders and who to avoid so you will have less of these situations.

Quote:
Or otherwise I get kicked out of a squad with 7 players in it, and all other squads are full or require operating armor/helos. I genuinely despise this. Wtf am I to do? I can't be squadleader, I'm gonna get kicked if I'm not in a squad, and yet there are none around. It's a fucked-22.
Some people like to play mostly only with their clanmates/friends who they already know or other times they like to play with a 6 man squad or something. Most of the times tho, if they see you are comunicating they will either let you play or at least give you a reason for the kick.
And yes, there are some situations when you don't have what squads to join even tho you are going to get kicked if you are not into a squad. Mostly on PRTA, but best thing you can do is not spawn until you join a squad so you can avoid the kick-not-in-a-squad-thingy.

3) You can ask your SL for a rally point or spawn on a FOB near your squad so you can avoid soloing vehicles without checking the alternatives first, but yes, to answer your question, you can take them altough make sure not to use them alone or for bad purposes especially when some other squad needs them cuz thats not a nice thing to do.

Also I understand your frustation at times, some rounds of PR are hit or miss depending on if you get in a squad and then depending on the others communicating. But, from my experience, PR will get better once you discover more of the game and the regulars, altough you'll discover some bad parts aswell.

Bastiannn is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-02, 18:33   #5
DefineHuman

I really appreciate all the help! Btw if I gotta make a thread elsewhere to ask about Mumble, just lemme know.

On taking LVs: gotcha. I'm really sensitive to people taking vehicles at random. My first match ever I hopped in a helo that was being operated by not-the-guy-it-should've and he crashed it into the carrier/everyone else. I think being on the receiving end of that frustration early on made me respect the rules more. I was wondering that though cuz I don't know if only transport squadrons or SLs/those designated by SLs are permitted to, y'know, transport people.

Mumble: I never tried opening Mumble config while in-game, I'm gonna join an empty server and see if that helps. I assumed you just launch the game and it all works out on its own. I'll do this now and report back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAK-R View Post
Just to add to this, try and join a squad before you spawn and ask the SL where you should be spawning, and if they need any particular kit.
I do this every round! The server I've most often joined gives you five mins before the initial spawn, I usually pick a squad and ask that q both with voice/text. I assumed the SL is distracted at the very start cuz I've yet to receive a response. I'm leaning hard into my ask for permission, not forgiveness mantra lol.
DefineHuman is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-02, 18:41   #6
DefineHuman

Okay so: joined =HOG= server, left the game and looked at Mumble: it says "Server connection failed: Proxy server not found."

So I opened the Connect option from the drop-down and it just says the same thing no matter what. "Failed to fetch server list".

Nothing's muted though.

Oh hold on, no, I just accidentally changed something a few minutes earlier. What it actually says is "The remote host closed the connection."

Initially it connects but the that failure message pops up.
Last edited by DefineHuman; 2017-05-02 at 18:54..
Old 2017-05-02, 18:53   #7
Filamu
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefineHuman View Post
I do this every round! The server I've most often joined gives you five mins before the initial spawn, I usually pick a squad and ask that q both with voice/text. I assumed the SL is distracted at the very start cuz I've yet to receive a response. I'm leaning hard into my ask for permission, not forgiveness mantra lol.
The SL won't see text messages because they are below the map and unless hes actually watching the chat for some reason he won't look for them. The only thing that works is talking .
Filamu is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-02, 19:23   #8
DefineHuman

Yeah that makes sense too haha.

Anyway, I think I may have found a fix.
Last edited by DefineHuman; 2017-09-12 at 07:57..

Tags
player, questions