project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding > Community Maps
14 Dec 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Community Maps Maps created by PR community members.

Old 2015-08-01, 17:00   #1
HaramKebab
Post [Map] Gray_Fate (1km) [WIP]

I am currently working on 3 maps.
This is one of them.
It's called "Gray Fate".

It's 1km because i thought PR is in heavy need of another good 1km map to seed the servers. (I'm pretty sure 90% agree that Fallujah is overplayed).

As someone from Switzerland i can assure you this is as far as "alpish" as the BF engine can go

I know it's currently lacking trees and such but this is the result of only 4h work.
I had enough time to gain experience with "overgrowth" on my map called "Bran" which i will release in a few days.
Bran is pretty much done, it's going to be a 4km map that focuses on Infantry engagements aka lots of cover...ps.G36 vs G3 i always wanted to see that)

Also. there's a reason why it's called "Gray Fate".
Those are over 400m in heigt distance so you better watch your step.
I've no idea right now which factions are going to be involved on this map right now...so if you have ideas let me know.
HaramKebab is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-01, 17:51   #2
B2P1

Default Re: [Map] Gray_Fate (1km) [WIP]

I've been thinking a lot about alpine maps myself as well. And here's my view on them:

1. They are best represented in 4x4km maps, I'm working on a mountainous map and made the mistake in going for a 2x2km map. I can barely fit two "peaks" in it on that scale. 1x1km for an alpine map is way too small. As you can see your mountains look a bit like those of a model train set (too unrealistic).

2. The height difference shouldn't jump "too much". I've been told the PR team tried creating a Bijar Heights map and found that the gameplay on that map didn't resemble PR's style.

3. Creating mountainous terrain tho has an advantage in that the map feels much bigger, you'd have to take longer routes to reach your destination.

4. The terrain takes up a lot of work. Do not underestimate this. Keep in mind that creating maps can take years of time.

5. Take everything I said with a grain of salt, I've not really worked a lot on my map either.
B2P1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-01, 18:25   #3
HaramKebab

You got 2 choices.
1. The players are able to walk across your map.
2. The players can't walk up hills since it's too steep.

I play 99% as inf and i don't give a fuck anymore about "realistic design" in maps.
It's still a game and the majority of us want to enjoy it.
But what is fun and "realistic" about not getting up on a hill anyway??
nothing.

Project Reality has been focusing on realism for long enough.
So much that i've decided to no longer touch this mod after they've released version 1.0 (bear in mind i've been playing this mod since 0.45). Project Reality is more than Tanks and Morters. Project Reality is about Squad Leaders, Medics, Control Points, Crates, Covering Fire, Communication, Trans Choppers and LZs, Area Attacks, Flanking Manuveurs and a huge portion of fun.
IMO it's time to focus on playablitiy again.
Old 2015-08-08, 03:51   #4
HaramKebab

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2P1 View Post
2. The height difference shouldn't jump "too much". I've been told the PR team tried creating a Bijar Heights map and found that the gameplay on that map didn't resemble PR's style.
Well the PR Team was right. Bijar was a huge failure.

All INF players will be able to walk to the top of any mountains of my map. Hills like they are known from Korengal won't be found on my map. They are unrealistic (why shouldn't soldiers be able to climb?) and they are boring.
Old 2015-08-08, 17:18   #5
MertSahin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaramKebab View Post
Well the PR Team was right. Bijar was a huge failure.

All INF players will be able to walk to the top of any mountains of my map. Hills like they are known from Korengal won't be found on my map. They are unrealistic (why shouldn't soldiers be able to climb?) and they are boring.
i dont know about most of our guys, but i find Bijar & Korengal one of the best maps.
imagine bijar with 2 helo choppers each team, couple trucks & uaz/humvee logistics, and thats it. It would be really fun to fight those long ranges over mountains. Taking over a mountain or building a forward outpost can give you really good realistic action.

aswell on korengal, u cant just simply climb everywhere on a mountain. irl aswell u have to find specific places where its save or good enough to climb upon.

but i understand your point, and btw your maps looks awesome. i love maps with mountains on it. u shut aswell place 1 or 2 mountains thats really hard to climb, unless u go a specific route, what needs to be captured or some.

anyway gl

MertSahin is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-09, 04:32   #6
matty1053

Looks decent so far (anything does since they are new maps lol). But who said Bijar was a huge failure?

It's probably one of the best maps for all assets and infantry. Tank fights are awesome. Cas is too. Both are balanced teams

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

DETROIT TIGERS
matty1053 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-09, 17:23   #7
X-Alt

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty1053 View Post
Looks decent so far (anything does since they are new maps lol). But who said Bijar was a huge failure?

It's probably one of the best maps for all assets and infantry. Tank fights are awesome. Cas is too. Both are balanced teams

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Bijar at the end of the day isn't all that great for some, it's just a lot of firepower shooting from elevated positiions into a city or down into a bunch of open fields. Personally 10\10, ez 50 kills.
X-Alt is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
1km, grayfate, map, wip