project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Factions > Faction Archives > African Resistance Fighters
24 Feb 2020, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
African Resistance Fighters Discussion pertaining to the African Resistance Fighters (ARF) faction.

Old 2009-12-10, 23:41   #1
Kopfjaegar

Default Rhodesia, Republic of South Africa Units?

Wasn't exactly sure where to put this as its not really African Resistance Fighters per se, but also didnt really fit into any other topic.

Anyways, lets not forget that Africa is not just a "dark continent" but a place that had, and has armies that used the latest equipment and weaponry. South Africa in particular, pioneered development of todays MRAPs and other Armored Personel carriers. What im trying to get at is that a not every army in Africa is a bunch of rebels running around with Aks. Do african states like South Africa or Zimbabwe have armies anywhere near the calibre of the UK or US, of course not, but they are armies none the less .

Anyways, just something to consider. Obviously I don't expect anyone to devote hours upon hours modelling African Army vehicles or figures, but someone could throw some real military gear on some African models and give them decent weaponry.

Also, while it is true that the overwhelming majority of Africans are indeed black, there is a significant population of White Africans in many countries, particuarly South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia etc etc. There is notable strife between whites and blacks in many countries, particularly black gangs attacking white farms en masse, with white farmers forming militia like groups to protect their homesteads. Maybe an attack-defense map is in order ???

Mercenaries as well. After the collapse of Apartheid, many white South Africans became mercenaries fighting in various other African states. These organizations were the first groups to become what has evolved into Blackwater (now Xe) type organizations in the world. Some attention could be payed to them as well.

Please do no interpret what I have written as orders or demands, I am simply pointing out things that may have been overlooked or gone without consideration.

Any thoughts guys?
Old 2009-12-11, 03:42   #2
Bob_Marley
Retired PR Developer

Default Re: Rhodesia, Republic of South Africa Units?

The African Resistance Fighters faction is an MEC-alike force based on the militaries around the Guinean gulf, to avoid limiting the mod to very specific circumstances (in much the same way the MEC is used, allowing maps from across the middle east rather than, for example, having Iran). There will also be a conventional force alongside the malitia type faction with tanks, APCs, helos and what not.

The Private Security Contractors faction will have a set of skins based off what Executive Outcomes used in Angola and Sierra Leone for maps set in Africa.

Its rather unlikley that the SANDF or ZNA will be appearing in the mod any time soon, if at all.

As for Rhodesia, as much as I'd like to have the RLI troopies tearing up the terrs in the bush, doesn't really fit with the timeframe of the mod, sadly.

The key to modernising any weapon is covering them in glue and tossing them in a barrel of M1913 rails until they look "Modern" enough.

Many thanks to [R-DEV]Adriaan for the sig!
Old 2009-12-11, 03:43   #3
Silly_Savage

Ha, someone direct Bob to this thread, he'll love it.

Damn! Ninja'ed by Bob himself.

"Jafar, show me a sniper rifle." - Silly_Savage 2013
Old 2009-12-11, 03:53   #4
ReadMenace

Maybe we can swing some S.African voice actors for the PSC faction? ;D

-REad
Old 2009-12-11, 04:49   #5
Kopfjaegar

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-MOD]Bob_Marley View Post
The African Resistance Fighters faction is an MEC-alike force based on the militaries around the Guinean gulf, to avoid limiting the mod to very specific circumstances (in much the same way the MEC is used, allowing maps from across the middle east rather than, for example, having Iran). There will also be a conventional force alongside the malitia type faction with tanks, APCs, helos and what not.

The Private Security Contractors faction will have a set of skins based off what Executive Outcomes used in Angola and Sierra Leone for maps set in Africa.

Its rather unlikley that the SANDF or ZNA will be appearing in the mod any time soon, if at all.

As for Rhodesia, as much as I'd like to have the RLI troopies tearing up the terrs in the bush, doesn't really fit with the timeframe of the mod, sadly.
Good stuff. Mhm, well I can understand the whole bit about not wanting to get too specific with things, its not like many people care about the Bush Wars or the UDI or any of that stuff. I just hope the Executive Outcomes gys are really, really good. I can't wait to see them.

As for the voices, I think it would be awesome if we could get some Afrikaans instead of plain old english voices for the Executive Outcomes guys. Might be hard to find some of them with computers though Dutch voices would be a fine replacement though, as its more or less the same languge.

Thanks for the info by the way, nice to get some straight answers.
Old 2009-12-11, 05:27   #6
[R-DEV]​Nosferatu
PR:BF2 Developer

Send a message via ICQ to Nosferatu

Thanks on this one, Bob. Using newest South African weaponry like MRAPs, Super Hinds, Vector rifles etc is just don't fit to ARF ideology and circumstances, they need rugged and effective assets, but not too much sophisticated.

"In addition to his other Asiatic characteristics, the Russian have no regard for human life and is an all out son of bitch, barbarian, and chronic drunk" - General Patton : A Soldier's Life

If violence isn't the answer, then you obviously need more violence.
Old 2009-12-11, 05:43   #7
Bob_Marley
Retired PR Developer

Well the Super Hinds arn't actually in use with the SANDF, thier gunship is the Rooivalk, the issue rifle is still the old R4 (And the CR-21 looks alot more advanced than it actually is. Its just an R4 in a polymer bullpup stock with a built in single point sight) and the mine proof viechles were designed specifically to be very rugged and dead cheap (what with being designed under sanctions and that they were supposed to get blown up, they were built out of off the shelf parts that could easily be replaced when they did run over a mine), especially if you look at the old models like the Buffel, Crocodile and Casspir

The key to modernising any weapon is covering them in glue and tossing them in a barrel of M1913 rails until they look "Modern" enough.

Many thanks to [R-DEV]Adriaan for the sig!
Last edited by Bob_Marley; 2009-12-11 at 06:03..
Old 2009-12-11, 10:52   #8
MAINERROR
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to MAINERROR Send a message via MSN to MAINERROR

Yea I've noticed the confusion about this topic. Just to clear things up. This faction is based on the northern part of the continent in the first place and it will have a militia like branch and a conventional branch.
Old 2009-12-11, 16:19   #9
killonsight95
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]ReadMenace View Post
Maybe we can swing some S.African voice actors for the PSC faction? ;D

-REad
voice actors i can get my cousin to do it lolz depending on what you need etc. of course i could do it myself but youknow i've kinda losty the accent
Old 2009-12-11, 20:02   #10
xxXmsgt_jimbobXxx

as i think mainerror already said, the focus is on the Northern part of Africa. Much as the MEC is generic ME army, through my understanding, ARF will have a branch thats like MEC, which will represent generic african conventional armies, and a branch like the Chechen Guerillas, which will represent the various gurerilla tribes. if you want to see south African troops i suggest you suggest it later. This faction is going to be OPFOR, but S. Africa would more than likely be accepted as a BLUFOR nation once they start accepting BLUFOR factions again.

Tags
africa, mercenaries, republic, rhodesia, south, units