project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Military Technology
21 Jul 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Military Technology Discussion on military hardware.

Closed Thread

Old 2011-02-09, 14:36   #21
Pantera

Default Re: Mordern tanks are paper, compared to modern AT guns.

https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f11...ave-today.html

Why do you feel the need to make two threads on the same subject?

AND post them in the wrong section? Surely this should be in the military thread?

Old 2011-02-09, 16:30   #22
Brummy

Send a message via MSN to Brummy
Default Re: Is it just me or noboby cares about the paper tanks we have today?

This thread is ****ing awesome. It's like a FOX News approach to tanks.

Old 2011-02-09, 16:48   #23
CastleBravo

Tanks aren't 150 tons because then it would be nearly impossible to get them to the battlefield. They need to be light enough to easily move on trucks, trains, planes, and boats.
Old 2011-02-09, 17:28   #24
MonkeySoldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polka View Post
Doesn't China still operate some anti-tank guns?
The Type 86 100mm ATG is still used within mechanized divisions in the PLA. Despite the concept of ATG sounds and maybe is old, I have no doubts that the Type 86 can still knock out most of the (armored) vehicles in the U.S. Army's arsenal. (Stryker, Bradley, M113 etc) Only thing it wouldn't be very successful at would be the M1A2, but the latest MBT's of the PLA aren't something to be underestimated either.

Haan4,

I find it interesting how you bring this up. From your point of view I can certainly see why tanks aren't powerful and especially aren't armored enough. I read a book of Donald R. Burgett, WW2 101st paratrooper, fought from Normandy all the way to the Eagle's nest. In one of his books he describes how he fought in the Battle of the Bulge, together with elements of the 10th Armored and the 705th Tank Destroyer Platoon.

If you don't mind, I will quote a part of Burgett's book, which may give you an insight in the tactics the Americans used to counter the heavily armored and armed tanks, despite being outnumbered and out gunned, during the defense of Noville.

This part of Burgett's story is when he was sitting in a foxhole, having both Tigers and Panthers coming towards their lines, while they were without any AT weapons.
Quote:
"So we did the only thing left for us to do: We lay in the bottoms of our foxholes and let the enemy armor pass through our line, the German infantry following a safe distance behind -- quietly and methodically firing at random, working their bolts, and firing again."

[..]

"Still we waited. We waited for the tanks to pass us and for the oncoming infantry to get close enough so that every one of our shots would count. Every time we pulled the trigger, there would have to be meat on the table. We could not afford to miss a single round.

[..]

We opened up instinctively, without command. Our small-arms fire lanced into their ranks, raking them with a deadly hail of hot steel. [..] My rifle bucked against my shoulder and a figure would spin away or drop.

[..]

The German infantry had pulled back to evade our accurate shooting. Their tanks have overrun us and reached the center of Noville, but they could not remain there without a screen of their own infantry to guard them. The Germans lost several tanks to our Shermans and TDs hidden in town, and the rest pulled out, back over the crests of the hills from which they had come.
It's not just a matter of how much armor or how powerful a tank is, it depends on how it's being deployed in combined arms. The real life example above shows how even mighty Panthers and Tigers were eventually forced to retreat, simply because they didn't had infantry anymore to protect itself against. You need to look how the tank performs with other units as well, as you'll be most likely having them side by side when the time is there. And right now, modern MBT's seem to have balanced out mobility, firepower and armor. Making them heavier will draw logistics a lot more, and won't always guarantee you will win the battle.

Old 2011-02-09, 17:40   #25
[R-DEV]​Outlawz7
PR:BF2 Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farks View Post
I think most of the issues with modern tanks could be solved by putting more magnets in their armor.
We should put portals on the sides, that way all the incoming projectiles enter on one side and exit through the other. Problem?

Old 2011-02-09, 18:54   #26
CastleBravo

If you build an imaginary tank instead, then it can't be destroyed.
Old 2011-02-09, 19:31   #27
Fluffywuffy

Why would you need heavily armored tanks if you can shoot from like miles away?

[DM]AirborneLegs or hellatom ingame
Old 2011-02-09, 19:58   #28
MonkeySoldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffywuffy View Post
Why would you need heavily armored tanks if you can shoot from like miles away?
Because not every enemy is just equipped with Hello Kitty AK's, Rocket Propelled Barbie Dolls and my little pony IED's. Unless your name is Scot, of course.

Old 2011-02-09, 20:06   #29
Scot
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeySoldier View Post
Because not every enemy is just equipped with Hello Kitty AK's, Rocket Propelled Barbie Dolls and my little pony IED's. Unless your name is Scot, of course.
Le fu?

I don't use Hello Kitty AKs...

I use Hello Kitty M4s!

If unrelated to me, ignore

Old 2011-02-09, 23:27   #30
Hitperson
Retired PR Developer

surely if a tank weighed 150+ tons i would go through the road like it was a sheet of paper.

Harrod200:"Fire.exe has committed an illegal operation and has been shut down"
Raniak : "Warning: May crash if fired upon."
M4sherman: "like peter pan but with tanks"
[R-MOD]Eddiereyes909 (on sim tower) "It truly was the game of my childhood and has led to me getting my degree in industrial engineering."
Closed Thread

Tags
cares, compared, guns, modern, mordern, noboby, paper, tanks, today