project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
20 Jul 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2017-02-07, 15:20   #11
ElPube
Default Re: 200 players anywhere ?

254 players aren't enough! I'll be disappointed until 255 players ...

ElPube is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-07, 15:51   #12
VTRaptor

-i was wrong here-
Last edited by VTRaptor; 2018-04-01 at 10:37..
Old 2017-02-07, 16:15   #13
Zeris
Supporting Member

While I obviously want Project Reality to continue moving forward with innovation and development, I do not think 200 player servers is a necessary step. Many of the reasons why have been touched on already, but some of you seem to forget that outside of "MMO FPS" games, the Battlefield series has some of the largest servers at 64 players. People got upset when it was announced that Bad Company 2 would not support 64 player servers. Bad Company 2 is also largely heralded as one of the best BF games to be released.

Point being, there's more important things that could be focused on instead of doubling the player count on servers. I'm currently pretty satisfied with the direction PR is going and I don't necessarily think 200 player servers are going to make anything "better" about the game.
Zeris is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-07, 16:54   #14
FlyingR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeris View Post
There's more important things that could be focused on instead of doubling the player count on servers.
Like fastropes... you heard me devs?!?!?
FlyingR is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-07, 20:05   #15
Zeris
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingR View Post
Like fastropes...
Fast-roping would be awesome, but likely difficult to do. I'm frankly surprised I haven't seen more military shooters utilize fast-roping.
Zeris is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-08, 00:54   #16
[R-CON]​Zeno
PR:BF2 Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Zeno

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostTouch View Post
I have to say i am really disappointed in project reality right now for not embracing the extend for 254 players witch should not be a problem with the current available hardware, this should of been the project reality's rebirth project and yet 5 years have passed in vain .... sad just sad instead for what i'v seen we now get most population in pr from streamers on youtube that bring all the .... you know type of people
and destroy this game i'l just have to discontinue playing this and have my fingers crossed for squad since PR devs are inflexible.
as cool as that sounds, you simply dont understand how game engines and development works. 254 players are simply not nearly achievable in any kind of playable state, for something like that you would need full access to the source code, and even then it would be impossible to get stable and good gameplay out of it.

[R-DEV]Ninja2dan: Not having a spotter is like masturbating with a cheese grater...mildly amusing at first, but generally painful and bloody in the end.

Thornehaw: If all this have been evidently true, Battlefield is a much scarier and dirtier than ever imagined. Not a conspiracy, but a possibility. If it is true, then trusting another is quite worrisome.
Zeno is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-08, 08:51   #17
Wicca
Supporting Member
PR Server License Moderator

Actually, 254 is the max number, as was tested about 3 years ago by soppa. So you are the one who doesnt know anything about the game engine @zeno :P

Xact Wicca is The Joker. That is all.
Wicca is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-08, 09:28   #18
[R-CON]​Spook
PR Tournament Management
Supporting Member

He said
Quote:
nearly achievable in any kind of playable state
Just cause the server sucessfully boots with 254 player configuration does not mean its playable. Remember the massive FPS problems, server rubberbanding and client and server crashes running with these numbers? Pepperidge farm remembers.

Spook is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-08, 13:34   #19
Wicca
Supporting Member

Well it was regularly seeded, so it was in a playable state. Although the first time he tested it, was on fallujah.

I am anyway not interested in anything larger than 200p due to the inability to create more squads.

Xact Wicca is The Joker. That is all.
Wicca is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-10, 14:54   #20
[R-CON]​Zeno
PR:BF2 Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Zeno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicca View Post
Well it was regularly seeded, so it was in a playable state. Although the first time he tested it, was on fallujah.

I am anyway not interested in anything larger than 200p due to the inability to create more squads.
"playable state", as in stable and actually enjoyable.

the gameplay enjoyment would drop to almost 0 after a couple of rounds when the "ermergerd, this is so cewl"-effect wears off.

- Terrible rubberbanding.
- Stability issues from hell.
- Gameplay is simply not suited for that ammount of people.
- Framerate for low/medium users

[R-DEV]Ninja2dan: Not having a spotter is like masturbating with a cheese grater...mildly amusing at first, but generally painful and bloody in the end.

Thornehaw: If all this have been evidently true, Battlefield is a much scarier and dirtier than ever imagined. Not a conspiracy, but a possibility. If it is true, then trusting another is quite worrisome.
Zeno is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
200, players