project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
22 Jul 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2016-09-21, 15:34   #11
L3uX

Default Re: Tips for new players

Well, good tips for players who start new. But there is much more you can learn.
L3uX is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-21, 19:47   #12
QuickLoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan~Man View Post
I've been playing for a month now.....really enjoy playing so far.

Don't stay in a squad that does not communicate......nothing to be learned there in my opinion. I don't like to bale from a squad but when there is no direction from the SQ Ldr why stay? Altho I guess he could be new as well.

..... and a huge thanks to those who have been helping a newb out.
Not communicating can mean a lot of things.
If your squad leader is just crouching down and not saying anything while everyones holding a sector, then he's probably maintaining map awareness or speaking with other squad leaders.

One annoying thing I see from new players in my squad, is that they are always anxious and cannot stay still. They must always be engaging targets or moving to engage targets, and once the squad's dug in they'll always be asking 'hey squad lead what are we doin!'
QuickLoad is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-22, 13:18   #13
Shan~Man
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickLoad View Post
Not communicating can mean a lot of things.
If your squad leader is just crouching down and not saying anything while everyones holding a sector, then he's probably maintaining map awareness or speaking with other squad leaders.

One annoying thing I see from new players in my squad, is that they are always anxious and cannot stay still. They must always be engaging targets or moving to engage targets, and once the squad's dug in they'll always be asking 'hey squad lead what are we doin!'
I agree Quickload, you have good points. I'm happy to lay in a ditch and wait and watch for that guy who can't set still. I was referring to leaders with literally no comms or markers.
Shan~Man is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-29, 02:12   #14
RAWSwampFox

Good Evening,

1. Ok, the biggest tip I can give any new player or SL, build damn FOBS near objectives.
2. If TRANS isn't good, someone suicide in the sq and get a logi to build FOB.
3. Don't build "superfobs" at first, build one crate supporting FOBS. If you read my FOB guide, you can find out how to do this and build superfobs with minimal crates.
4. Defend the last cap'ed objective until team is together and at least one or two objectives ahead of you.
5. Don't bunch up together on the OBJ but rather spread out forming a supportable perimeter. What I mean by this, make it where you can run to support each other while defending the objective.
6. Forget CAS support as they are usual "elitists" that only care about their own skill and close friends.
7. Forget armor support as they usually do their own thing and rarely provide close infantry support.
8. Ignore SL's screams for help if they are 100 miles away from any objective.
9. Keep up with the flow of the battle outside of your "cubicle".

That's it for now.

-SwampFox
CIVI guide: https://goo.gl/WhRE7A
CIVIES and Martyrs thread: http://goo.gl/eqZ3wn
My FOB guide: https://goo.gl/z8bk2z
FOB Thread: http://goo.gl/4PWRAs
PR Statistics & Useless Information thread: http://goo.gl/bzu4qd
RAWSwampFox is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-29, 16:23   #15
saXoni
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAWSwampFox View Post
1. Ok, the biggest tip I can give any new player or SL, build damn FOBS near objectives.
This can easily be misinterpreted as building FOBs on flags being okay, which it isn't - despite the amount of them you see these days. Spawning on a safe FOB and walking for a few minutes to the objective is much better than not having anywhere to spawn at all.
Last edited by saXoni; 2016-09-29 at 16:51..
Old 2016-09-30, 02:44   #16
RAWSwampFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by saXoni View Post
This can easily be misinterpreted as building FOBs on flags being okay, which it isn't - despite the amount of them you see these days. Spawning on a safe FOB and walking for a few minutes to the objective is much better than not having anywhere to spawn at all.
Good Evening,

Thus the use of the English word "near" and not "within" the objective.

-SwampFox
CIVI guide: https://goo.gl/WhRE7A
CIVIES and Martyrs thread: http://goo.gl/eqZ3wn
My FOB guide: https://goo.gl/z8bk2z
FOB Thread: http://goo.gl/4PWRAs
PR Statistics & Useless Information thread: http://goo.gl/bzu4qd
RAWSwampFox is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-02, 15:43   #17
MRaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Converse. View Post
  • Make sure to practice on Cooperative mode for at least 2 hours prior to entering deployment mode so you can get used to game.
  • Read the manual.
  • Read the manual 2x.
Correction:

*Make sure to practice on Cooperative mode for at least a week prior to entering deployment mode so you can get used to game.
*Read the manual 3x

PR is much more complicated than your average FPS. New players, especially people coming from CoD or Battlefield will have a lot of trouble adjusting to the slower paced, tactical gameplay. Players coming from ArmA (where I came from ) or any other milsim won't find it as difficult, but still, I HATE noobs in Deployment that ask you how to talk in squad VOIP. New players should spend at least a week in Cooperative mode before even THINKING about hopping in Deployment.
MRaza is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-03, 16:12   #18
JustAGuy

While I definitely agree that some coop is a great way to familiarize yourself with the base mechanics (controls, feel of controls, the bullshit accuracy reset mechanics, how aas and insurgency work, kits, vehicles, fobs, and emplacements), I think anyone who spends more than a good match or 2 in it is either slow at picking up new stuff or paranoid. Coop can't teach you much beyond the base of the game anyways. A dash of coop and then an attentive read of the manual are all you need. It should only take like 2 or 3 hours if you're truly seeking out the info in the manual and then replicating it in coop (or even empty local if you're just checking out kits) to see for yourself and work out any kinks.

No need to master the helis, learn every vehicles name, and discover every nook and cranny of grozny in coop just to hit deployment for the first time and be disappointed with a crappy squad. Let's be real xD. Even if every squad was great, a thorough understanding of the basic way the game plays would still go miles for a beginner. They don't need to worry about the advanced stuff yet anyways.

Edit: And really guys? 2 or 3 manual reads??? xD. For a lot of people who are more hands on it wouldn't make much difference if they read it 10x. They need to have the manual open AND be in coop or empty local to replicate what it's talking about. Then they can learn every kit, learn sq ld (basics), learn all emplacements, etc. And people being condescending to others for asking tiny questions (like when newbies forget which key for BUIS, not stuff like how to use voip, i agree, that's retarded and a bad sign that they are not really cut out for pr yet) is a big reason for the reputation this community has.

We need to be welcoming and helpful to the few newbies that are willing to learn and desire to help. They are the future of the mod as more and more people quit for good. Yes, it can be frustrating, but they will blossom into assets to the team if they aren't scared off by elitists who half the time aren't as good at the game as they think anyways... We really need to stop exaggerating the learning curve of PR, and stop playing up the skill gap between PR and CoD or BF. All decently popular fps games have newbs and they have experts, and many of the skills carry over. Let's not be so closed minded about people who want to experiment with and experience other fps types, because I understand that many times they are very young. It isn't a crime for them to look to expand their horizons. Use it as an opportunity to positively influence a young person. Not accidentally get them to copy your cynicism as they grow up. We shouldn't scare the newcomers (aka the future) away from tactical fps and the world beyond CoD.
Last edited by JustAGuy; 2016-10-03 at 16:39.. Reason: Forgot something.
Old 2017-02-27, 06:45   #19
leroyclark

@kezzla Thank you. That was helpful.
leroyclark is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-27, 08:19   #20
Heavy Death

Yesterday I've had a total newbie in my squad. First time player, no manual read, no coop, just join a server and play type of guy. He was lost on the map and was following a different squad. He didn't even know that green dots were squadmembers. But since there was enemies in between us and him, he just asked how to talk local and proceeded to stick with the other squad that was teaching him stuff. Granted when they told him how to request a kit, we all know which one he went for, but we explained calmly that is is useless and that he should ask the SL first. Very cool guy with common sense. Give him a month of high playtime and he is one of us np.

Heavy Death is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
players, tips