project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
22 Jul 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2017-05-04, 16:25   #21
Midnight_o9
Supporting Member

Default Re: New players READ MANUAL PLEASEEEEE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingR View Post
I do both, I do help the new guys as much as I ignore them depending the situation... But still, why is it so hard to read a fucking a manual? Most of the info is there! It's to help you play the game, not to study for calculus class...
Because the manual is 45 pages long and when you get a game you rarely want to read a book in order to play it, especially when the manual's first pages are about how TEAMWORK and COMMUNICATION is so important in the game... so, I can easily imagine people thinking, "heck, I'll ask people ingame since communication is key and everyone has a mic and is so friendly", how sad they must feel when they realise that same community that complain about the lack of players is also the one that drives new people away...

I also think quite a few people actually read it, or skim through it, but you can't expect them to remember every single information they just read once, most of the tme they just need a reminder. And no, closing the game, to look for what you need in a 45 pages long .pdf document isn't the best solution, when usually the answer is as simple and short as "H" or "Q".

I myself forget things when I take long breaks from PR, and I usually ask the closest player or on squad channel and tadaa, 2 seconds later I get a simple, clear answer to my question. And the funny thing is, I've been playing PR since .3 and I've never read the manual entirely, not once... I usually got bored after the first 2 or 3 pages and tell myself that people ingame will explain this or that if I need. So far I've never felt that I HAD to read the manual.

I also drive a lot in PR, in armor squads, and a couple times my gunner was quite new and didn't know all the technical stuff about maning the gun (different ammo types, thermals, smokes...). I explained to them as much as I could before the fights began, you know, during that long drive to the frontline, you have plenty of time to explain to the new players the fundamentals of being a good teammate. Of course they wont be as effective as a veteran, but if their first experience in the game is good, they'll be willing to improve themselves... on the contrary, if you're rude to new people, they'll tend to troll...

You only reap what you sow.

We've all been new players at some point, and for my part I'm glad people helped me getting through the first steps without just redirecting me to a book.

Finally, IGNORING new players just because you don't want to explain this or that to them is far better than telling them to go read the manual, just don't say anything, there are 98 other people on the server, most likely someone else will take the time to explain.
Midnight_o9 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-04, 18:19   #22
FlyingR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight_o9 View Post
-snip-
Man, like I said before... If I'm in a firefight, talking with my squad members or other squad leader and people start asking questions of how to do this or that of course I'm going to ignore them. A part of that, I do answer in chat and mumble when they ask so don't get triggered.

Many new players a part from not reading the manual try to drive/fly assets, which leads them to crashing it and then they ask how to drive/drive it. Many of them come with a mindset that this game is fast to learn like COD or w.e so they jump in straight without understanding the concept of the game. Instead of reading the manual they spend hours or days trying to grasp that concept, and after asking and asking multiple times questions they still will insta-give up when wounded, won't follow the squad, they will still one-man steal humvees, logis, trucks for own transportation, etc. Just saying.

Actually I'm not complaining about the number of players in PR, I don't mind how it is at the moment.
FlyingR is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-04, 18:31   #23
Wing Walker

In 10 years I have yet to read the manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR-DOUCHE
WHAT!? FUCK OFF AND READ THE MANUAL YOU STUPID NOOB, WE'RE ABOUT TEAMWORK HERE!!!! AAAAHHHRRGGGHHH!!!... OVER.
Wing Walker is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-05, 13:32   #24
sunshine2241991

i never forget when i was a like maybe 16 years old and i put PR minimod on a download and went to school ( because back in that days internet was slooooow )

when i got back from school i was so exited to play this mod ( because i was big fan of black howk down movie and battlefield 2 didnt provide that real teamwork element like in the movie )

so after i installed that minimod i belive it was was like 0.2 or 0.3
first map i joined was vanila mashtuur city and i joined some squad with only 1 guy .
and back in that days there was no MUMBLE only that ugly bf VOIP .

so i was like " Hi im new to the game "
and that guy was so kind and took me to a journey for like 30 min of sneaking and explaining the game while he had sniper kit and we moving from corner to corner and he was like just explaining to me stuff that i already knew from other fps games . but it was and immersion and something that i never felt before that some random guy on internet just care about you and willing to put a time to teach about something .

i remember that moment i was just hooked in that exact second i knew i on the PR drug .
look at me now 12 years of this shity game writing this post .

imagine if that moment was happened diffrently ....

-----------Ghost-------------

My sh1t Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJy..._a12QV_qaarCcQ
My Sh1tty Mixtapes : https://soundcloud.com/ghostidd
sunshine2241991 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-05, 20:27   #25
Limeni[BiH]

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine2241991 View Post
you people are the worst .

forget about that retarded manual .
its like reading the script before watchig the movie .
or like reading about all the quests in MMO game .

just answer there questions and be nice .
this way the new players will stay to play ( and we really need new players comunity is too small )
and you making new friends .

and be honest when the last time you read manual after you installing FPS . ?
like everytime you install COD you reading manual ?
Pretty silly statement.
A) the manual is not retarded, people actually put a lot of effort into writing it, give credit and show some respect
B) it's not the same as reading a script of a movie, not even close. If you wanna pilot a plane do you just sit in it and press random buttons until you hit the right ones
C) The manual is full of valuable information, even some veterans could benefit from rereading it
Limeni[BiH] is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-06, 01:11   #26
sunshine2241991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limeni[BiH] View Post
Pretty silly statement.
A) the manual is not retarded, people actually put a lot of effort into writing it, give credit and show some respect
B) it's not the same as reading a script of a movie, not even close. If you wanna pilot a plane do you just sit in it and press random buttons until you hit the right ones
C) The manual is full of valuable information, even some veterans could benefit from rereading it
with all the respect not everything in life that you will put effort will get the respect it deserve .

but the manual is giving away lot of "Surprise elements "
people who play battlefield 4 and come to PR and from no where you placing FB its blowing there mind and a tow .

in my opinion manual giving to much info that a regular player need to know .

-----------Ghost-------------

My sh1t Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJy..._a12QV_qaarCcQ
My Sh1tty Mixtapes : https://soundcloud.com/ghostidd
sunshine2241991 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-06, 14:27   #27
FlyingR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine2241991 View Post
with all the respect not everything in life that you will put effort will get the respect it deserve .

but the manual is giving away lot of "Surprise elements "
people who play battlefield 4 and come to PR and from no where you placing FB its blowing there mind and a tow .

in my opinion manual giving to much info that a regular player need to know .
That's what a manual is for... you know, to explain how the game works...

This game is not for the mentality of people who play BF4 or COD, if they want to play PR they should adapt or will have a hard time enjoying it (need of a mic, lone-wolfing, stealing assets, etc.).

But yeah gonna stop arguing, clearly your mentality won't change.

A suggestion, that was already probably mentioned but would probably help a lot is to have a training ground like Squad that already comes with the game and you have to go through a course picking that explains to you how the game basically works. In the course you would have pickup kits like sniper, lat, gl, etc. This could probably simplify everything.
FlyingR is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-06, 15:21   #28
sas75

I thought reading the manual prior to playing was a given..
sas75 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
manual, players, pleaseeeee, read