project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
23 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:18 AM   #1
Mouthpiece
Supporting Member

Default Increase deployable SPG turn rate

Everyone loves this asset. It's dead on precise and if used correctly can wreak havoc by killing both BLUFOR inf, vehicles and landed choppers. The thing is - most of the times you can't react with it quick enough to acquire the target. The weapon turn rate is so slow, it takes almost a minute to turn it 180 degrees.

The thing I don't understand is why in SPG technicals you can manouver the gun perfectly fine (great speed), but if it's placed as a deployable - you can't. At least give the deployable SPG 50% faster turn rate. Or 50% slower than SPG techy. Anyway, make it faster. Because majority of INS SL's are not using it, and the reason is probably it's terrible turn rate (lots of people doesn't know that it can be turned with A and D buttons). Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one building it while playing INS.

Make this awesome tool more useful, please!
Mouthpiece is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:59 AM   #2
[R-DEV]Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: Increase deployable SPG turn rate

The reason why the deployable SPG-9 has such a slow turn rate with the A and D keys, is to simulate the crew using it picking up the entire weapon assembly with tripod and turning it round by hand, which isn't a quick or simple task.

There is one thing we did think about doing and iirc, we did some testing on it initially but it didn't work out, which is to have an "accelerated turn rate", ie, your turn would start off slow, but gradually get faster as you held down the key for a longer period of time, until it reached its max turning speed. Problem with this going off memory is that you where very likely to overshoot where you wanted your turn to end up, and the acceleration didn't work in all directions but can't remember for sure if that last one was the case, was some time ago we coded it.

The SPG-9 on the technical is mounted on a pivotal point, so it swings round on that with ease just like a HMG so no need to reduce the speed of that as your not picking up a tripod and moving it round, like you are with the deployable SPG-9.

[R-DEV]Rhino is online now Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:04 PM   #3
KillJoy[Fr]

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
The reason why the deployable SPG-9 has such a slow turn rate with the A and D keys, is to simulate the crew using it picking up the entire weapon assembly with tripod and turning it round by hand, which isn't a quick or simple task.

Au dela du possible ...
KillJoy[Fr] is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:11 PM   #4
[R-DEV]Rhino
Supporting Member

Also one thing I should possibly add to this topic is that for the Argentinians Deployable AT for PR:Falklands, which is currently the SPG-9 but that's a place holder for the Model 1968 Recoilless Gun, is that the Model 1968 Recoilless Gun is pretty much the same thing as the SPG-9, but its on wheels.

For this reason it will work pretty much the same way as the SPG-9 when its made (also note, no one is currently making it and its up for grabs if anyone is interested ), but because it has wheels, the A and D key rotation of the entire weapon will be much, much faster as a result, since the crew is swinging it around on its wheels and not picking the entire thing up

Old 08-12-2012, 12:16 PM   #5
Mouthpiece
Supporting Member

But for SPG-9 the "crew" (user) can rotate it because it's on a tripod of some sorts, and it also contains the pivotal point as the one on the techy, doesn't it? And if It can be rotated 360, I don't understand why it should be done so slowly?
(Edit: somehow missed the first post by Rhino, now it's clearer, but why the same system as on techies isn't used on the tripod? It would increase the efficiency)
Old 08-12-2012, 12:42 PM   #6
[R-DEV]Rhino
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouthpiece View Post
But for SPG-9 the "crew" (user) can rotate it because it's on a tripod of some sorts, and it also contains the pivotal point as the one on the techy, doesn't it? And if It can be rotated 360, I don't understand why it should be done so slowly?
(Edit: somehow missed the first post by Rhino, now it's clearer, but why the same system as on techies isn't used on the tripod? It would increase the efficiency)
The SPG-9's Tripod yes dose have a rotational pivot on it, but unlikely the TOW's tripod for example, you can't rotate the weapon 360degs on it. Your only limited to 15degs left or right from the centre. This pic shows it rotated 15degs to the right on its pivot:

We could have made this like the HMG nests where your only limited to the tripods rotation and not able to rotate the tripod itself.

If you look at the SPG-9 on the Technical, you can see that its sitting on a pivotal point that can rotate 360degs.

This isn't something we have done in PR just for the hell of it, we have done it because its a realistic design limitation of the weapon.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:51 PM   #7
Mouthpiece
Supporting Member

Ok, now I get it. Many thanks for the informative answers Rhino.

But, yeah, the system with the deployed SPG that you mentioned (turning gets faster in time) would be great. Or something like that.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:21 PM   #8
Stealthgato

I don't think it would take as long as it does in game for 2 people to pick up the tube by the ends and quickly rotate, even if it's 60kg with the tripod.

Stealthgato is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:23 PM   #9
[R-DEV]Rhino
Supporting Member

Hence why I talked about the "accelerated rotation" idea above, since most of the time in rotating the weapon is spent picking the weapon up and setting it back down again, rather than the rotating part.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:05 PM   #10
Mouthpiece
Supporting Member

Maybe if the "accelerated rotation" is really hard to implement you can at least make the SPG turn rate a bit faster than it is now. I feel that even "10% faster" would definitely help the poor situation unconventional forces are in now with their SPG's when facing fast moving IFV's/APC's . What's your opinion on this idea Rhino? Making it a tiny bit faster (the turn rate).

Tags
deployable, increase, rate, spg, turn