project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mini-Mods > PR:Vietnam General Discussion
23 Nov 2020, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:Vietnam General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality Vietnam modification.

Old 2011-02-12, 23:44   #1
cookoo04

Default Vietnam CAS

Ok, so I was wondering what method is used to call in Close Air Support during the Vietnam era. Currently in PR, we simply use the laser designators to "laze" a target so that the bombs can be guided in. However, what are we going to use now to tell our air support where the bombs need to hit? Cause I am not so sure there was laser designation technology in Vietnam like there is now.
Old 2011-02-12, 23:58   #2
Arnoldio
Banned
Default Re: Vietnam CAS

Map grid, landmark, angle of attack.

???

PROFIT!
Old 2011-02-13, 00:38   #3
Q2M100

Not to be sarcastic, but its called an attack marker...

I assume there will only be free-fall bombs when it comes to bombs themselves, so no need for a laser designation-like system.

Old 2011-02-13, 00:39   #4
Hitman.2.5

well the fact that the engine wont allow for a working CCIP (Continuously Computed Impact Point) we will have to revert to the BF2 vanilla dive bombing tactics, they did have guided bombs such as the AGM-62 walleye

AGM-62 Walleye - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the AGM-12

AGM-12 Bullpup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and in the final years of the war the paveway I, was been combat tested.

Derpist
Old 2011-02-13, 02:29   #5
Conman51

Red Smoke from mortars possibly? Lots of people shooting at a point so the pilots can see the tracers?

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Mark Twain

Old 2011-02-13, 02:44   #6
dtacs
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conman51 View Post
Red Smoke from mortars possibly? Lots of people shooting at a point so the pilots can see the tracers?
If smoke is not deployed whilst it is within the pilots maximum view distance, they won't be able to see it.

I would like to see no markers at all, rather a grid location or the infantry giving a landmark and entry/exit direction, would require more skilled pilots.
Old 2011-02-13, 03:05   #7
Conman51

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtacs View Post
If smoke is not deployed whilst it is within the pilots maximum view distance, they won't be able to see it.
even with high graphics?

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Mark Twain

Old 2011-02-13, 03:16   #8
dtacs
Supporting Member

Not sure, haven't looked into it, I think it may be inherent from vBF2 though.
Old 2011-02-13, 05:00   #9
sell

What is if the squad leader, set a marker, take his binocular look at the target and make a guess how fare it is away, then take the radio to call cas, so the team can see the target on the map?
Old 2011-02-13, 05:15   #10
cookoo04

Yeah I think in this case we might revert to the original attack markers that can be seen from very far away so that the pilot can get a good sense of the elevation and specific location of his target and judge when to drop the bombs himself.

Tags
cas, vietnam