project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
27 Nov 2020, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2013-09-15, 19:02   #1
hussamsoft

Post MEC? still there?

MEC or middle eastern coalition, is a fictional and far from a real faction, it is much unlikely to be specially in the way PR presents it, but from the assets and the weapons of the MEC being mainly a mix between US-German made and Russian made weapons, it could be easily recognized as something similar to Iranian army, I know it could be a big deal changing the name of the faction and changing the flag on every asset and even changing the voices to persian instead of arabic, but doesn't it worth it?
I mean to me every new faction added to PR is something supercool and could make PR more fun to play, but this isn't anyway new its just renaming......

Anyway why there is no "third world" armies in PR, I mean yeah clashes between superpowers is classic and insurgency is good too but you know isn't even more realistic for the superpowers go against weaker third world armies in handicap battles, or maybe third world armies go against each other, Like you know adding Israel's Arab neighbours being the number one threat to israel than hamas or iran itself, or maybe a possible US intervention on syrian land against the syrian army and such

yet it's alot more easy to do the talk than to do the work
however what are your thoughts?

hussamsoft is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-15, 19:14   #2
[R-DEV]​Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: MEC? still there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hussamsoft View Post
MEC or middle eastern coalition, is a fictional and far from a real faction, it is much unlikely to be specially in the way PR presents it, but from the assets and the weapons of the MEC being mainly a mix between US-German made and Russian made weapons, it could be easily recognized as something similar to Iranian army, I know it could be a big deal changing the name of the faction and changing the flag on every asset and even changing the voices to persian instead of arabic, but doesn't it worth it?
I mean to me every new faction added to PR is something supercool and could make PR more fun to play, but this isn't anyway new its just renaming......
While yes, the MEC faction is largely based on the Iranian armed forces, it isn't totally. There are a lot of differences between the MEC and Iran and we are first of all, missing quite a bit of content that the Iranian army would need. But worst of all, a straight rename would mean we would have to get rid of a lot of our content, that is only present in the MEC since Iran doesn't use it, but other ME Countries do.

Ideally what we would like to do is split the MEC up into many different ME Countries BUT this would be a major undertaking and then we wouldn't have enough maps to showcase all these factions. This is also not forgetting we are busy enough as it is trying to fill in the gaps in our current factions.

I think this topic goes more into it iirc: https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f10...thing-mec.html

Quote:
Anyway why there is no "third world" armies in PR, I mean yeah clashes between superpowers is classic and insurgency is good too but you know isn't even more realistic for the superpowers go against weaker third world armies in handicap battles, or maybe third world armies go against each other, Like you know adding Israel's Arab neighbours being the number one threat to israel than hamas or iran itself, or maybe a possible US intervention on syrian land against the syrian army and such

however what are your thoughts?
Quote:
You've pretty much summed it up there for yourself

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-15, 21:09   #3
Heskey

I used to dislike MEC - I still dislike playing them (hate their weaponry, uniform and vehicles), but coupled with the time it'd make to change them, and the persistent issues in the ME, a generic faction makes sense IMO.

Currently, I just view them as Syria!

(Signature by Priby)
Heskey is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-15, 21:28   #4
Wheres_my_chili

I love mec, G3 is awesome. Plus it reminds us of PRs roots and how far its come.
Wheres_my_chili is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-15, 21:52   #5
Redamare
Supporting Member

perhaps we could come up with a new title and or Flag for the MEC ....

MEA Middle Eastern Alliance
UAC United Arab Coalition
UAA United Arab Alliance
WAC Western Asia Coalition

here are some middle eastern flags you could use a comination of these to create a new faction.

As an example I just created this

Last edited by Redamare; 2013-09-15 at 22:19..
Old 2013-09-16, 02:47   #6
[R-DEV]​camo
Supporting Member

[/QUOTE]

Haha quite nice, i'd support a flag change, but it is pretty unnecessary given the current one is easily good enough.
And i enjoy playing as mec, you get the g3 and the bmp's, whats not to like?

camo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-16, 15:18   #7
Kerryburgerking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redamare View Post
perhaps we could come up with a new title and or Flag for the MEC ....

MEA Middle Eastern Alliance
UAC United Arab Coalition
UAA United Arab Alliance
WAC Western Asia Coalition

here are some middle eastern flags you could use a comination of these to create a new faction.

WAC would be best since atleast one MEC map isnt in an arab country.
Kerryburgerking is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-16, 15:25   #8
[R-DEV]​Rhino
Supporting Member

We aren't going to rename or re-brand the MEC as another fictional force as at the end of the day, its a hell of a lot of work to go though all the textures and change them, like every solider and most vehicles etc have an MEC flag on the side as well as other markings, and then all kinda HUD changes etc too, and at the end of the day, nothing would've changed so you guys can simply forget that idea...

Like I said above, if we where going to put the work in to make the faction more realistic, we would split it up into a few ME countries but that's a hell of a lot of work and something we aren't in a position to do, at least for the foreseeable future.

You guys are welcome to form a community faction to make the Iranian armed forces or w/e which is the only way I see this happening any time soon.
EDIT: In fact there already is one but don't think its still in development but perhaps you guys could look into rebooting it: https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f38...rmy-again.html

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-16, 15:26   #9
ComradeHX
Banned
Supporting Member

Quote:
Anyway why there is no "third world" armies in PR
You mean ARF?
ComradeHX is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-16, 15:36   #10
hussamsoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeHX View Post
You mean ARF?
No. I meant conventional armies (such as: Iran, Egypt, Syria, Pakistan, Moroco, Saudi-arabia....... and other armed forces of countries some consider "third world")

hussamsoft is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
mec