project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Tales from the Front
26 Nov 2020, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Tales from the Front Share your in-game experiences playing PR:BF2.

Old 2010-02-16, 20:09   #21
00SoldierofFortune00

Default Re: [Video] This Is What Korengal Valley has Become

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestial1 View Post
You're doing it wrong.

The old base was easy to base rape; there was a great hill to the South/East to fire down from with RPGs and etc. There wasn't a lot of cover in the base; save for the green box-homes and the LMG bunkers, there wasn't anything with a roof and walls to save you from explosives.

How am I doing it wrong when we dominated their entire side the whole time? I'm not denying that the old base was easy to base rape, but the new one isn't an improvement like much of you are saying either. Sure, you could jump out the side, but it doesn't really matter when Logistic trucks are the only say you have a way of respawning and they are easily raped from the upper hills now. They also have to go down the winding road to even get to the Northwest side of the map which is suicide when you have a cache spawn right there.

If the Taliban team is even half competent, all they have to do is camp the main from the hills to spot the flow of logistics out of their main. Personal may get out, but it doesn't mean much when they have no other respawn on the map.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]fuzzhead View Post
Agreed with Celestial, the new mainbase is far superior in its positioning and easy to kill spawn campers as long as you have half a brain... whereas the old mainbase, once your stuck there, it was prety much over.

Plus theres alot of routes out of the base and you get a good overwatch on most of the valley...

That said, I think korengal is still going to be spammy gameplay because its only 1km, not much you can do on that though...

How is the positioning superior when you still have hills on 2 sides of the base, just like the last one? Only difference now is that those hills are closer and within range of snipers, RPGs, and LMGs. Before, you had a hill to the north and the southwest. Now, you have hills to the South and the West of the main base in the hills. Everyone I've talked to ingame says how easy it is to camp the main and even if the troops got out of main, they don't have RPs anymore, so they aren't going to last for long, even with medics. All it would take is one sapper to cut off their flow of logistics too.

"Push the Envelope, Watch It Bend"

Tool ~ Lateralus
00SoldierofFortune00 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-16, 20:21   #22
Jigsaw

He is not saying you are doing it wrong, the US team are doing it wrong. I find it far easier to play as US on the new Korengal than old for the reasons already stated. I don't really understand why you cannot see the improvement in terms of positioning, access, cover from sniper/rpg attack and overwatch.

Sure it has its flaws still but it is a vast improvement.

"I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end... "
Jigsaw is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-16, 20:24   #23
CodeRedFox
Retired PR Developer

End of day its a 1 km map

Its really small and the reason I put in all the "crap" terrain, to slow people down. I could make a huge DOD but that would only cut a large % of the map off. With cache spawning there isnt much I can do about spawn camping unless I remove all the caches from the snow side of the map, which again makes half the map useless. Logic truck are a death trap unfortunately, but I've seen them placed is better positions and they do work.

Quote:
they don't have RPs anymore, so they aren't going to last for long, even with medics
Really? maybe your playing a different game, RP still exist.

I lead a squad last night and was able to make it to the other side of the map multiply times with and without the help of our medic. Never once did we get "stuck at main". How you may ask? We didn't take the routes most traveled, didn't engage everyone, and did allot of tactical movements.

Look the maps a hard map, its ment to be this way, I'm not going to sugar coat it. Its one of the few maps where your not guaranteed a safe area. You need to be on the move or you die.

You whole argument of being stuck at main is wrong and comes down to players not adjusting to the map.

Anyways each release I try to tweak the map a bit, and I have a list of notes I will be adjusting in the next patch that allows gameplay change. The maps got issues,, ever release bring new issues, but stuck at main isnt on of them.

"apcs, like dogs can't look up" - Dr2B Rudd
Last edited by CodeRedFox; 2010-02-16 at 20:33..
Old 2010-02-16, 20:26   #24
Portable.Cougar

1st move as US should always be to move N out of the main at round start and secure the N hills that have view on your main.

Build an FB or two and start patrolling.

Easy peesy

Portable.Cougar is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-16, 20:36   #25
CodeRedFox
Retired PR Developer

Also I've have a blog post up about korengal that I also used to keep notes and ideas: Everyone welcomed to post and leave there opinion but leave the arguing out of it.

New Korengal opinions - Project Reality Forums

CodeRedFox is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-16, 20:59   #26
Rissien
Supporting Member

In the example of the video, Taliban had the advantage of a cache in the Northern mountains but if the entire us team did what the one or two squads that actually did get out and manage to assault the other cache which I was defending they would have been better off. Instead everyone just stayed in main not bothering to leave and griping about being shot at.

MA3-USN Former

クラナド ァフターストーリー
Rissien is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-16, 22:53   #27
$$JOSE$$

Default Re: This Is What Korengal Valley has Become

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop_Deadx View Post
4 Vehicles? I thought there was only 3 RPGs in the kit...
Squadmates had ammo bags
$$JOSE$$ is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-17, 00:28   #28
Celestial1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00SoldierofFortune00 View Post
How am I doing it wrong when we dominated their entire side the whole time?
If you can't get out of the main, "You're doing it wrong." Implied statement.

Quote:
I'm not denying that the old base was easy to base rape, but the new one isn't an improvement like much of you are saying either. Sure, you could jump out the side, but it doesn't really matter when Logistic trucks are the only say you have a way of respawning and they are easily raped from the upper hills now.
Bunch of taliban on hill = Less taliban on cache. Move out on foot and stick in secluded areas as US.

Logistics is the least of your worries on Korengal; there are very few FO spots, and even less sustainable FO spots. Instead, move in on foot quickly, and if you don't find the cache quickly, exfil immediately. Sitting still is death on Korengal. It's best to abandon your downed men to relocate, unfortunately, because sitting in one area long enough to heal them give the taliban at least 2 waves to throw themselves at you.

And again, the US has plenty of ways to prevent RPGs from coming in. They have to get their stuff together; if there's no base defense during an onslaught, of course you're going to be as successful as you were. If there is, and they are any good, they'll knock your block right off (Snipers shouldn't be leaving the main, so you have 2 snipers available. Use 'em).

Quote:
How is the positioning superior when you still have hills on 2 sides of the base, just like the last one? Only difference now is that those hills are closer and within range of snipers, RPGs, and LMGs. Before, you had a hill to the north and the southwest. Now, you have hills to the South and the West of the main base in the hills. Everyone I've talked to ingame says how easy it is to camp the main and even if the troops got out of main, they don't have RPs anymore, so they aren't going to last for long, even with medics. All it would take is one sapper to cut off their flow of logistics too.
To the East and West is declining hillside. To the South is a hill, but it's 500m away or something, and taliban on that hill pose next to no threat (besides snipers). The Northern hill is the only threatening position, which makes finding targets real easy...

Like I said, if you are having trouble getting out of the Korengal main, you're doing it wrong.
If you are pinning the enemy team in the Korengal main, they are doing it wrong.

There's no two ways about it. There's a way to combat everything the taliban can throw at you inside of the main (with the only exception being that you can't hide the vehicles from the RPGs very well, but you can still shoot at them...).
Celestial1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-17, 03:43   #29
00SoldierofFortune00

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]CodeRedFox View Post
Really? maybe your playing a different game, RP still exist.

I lead a squad last night and was able to make it to the other side of the map multiply times with and without the help of our medic. Never once did we get "stuck at main". How you may ask? We didn't take the routes most traveled, didn't engage everyone, and did allot of tactical movements.
Come on now, the RPs ingame are not the same ones that were in the previous version. If your SL dies, you are SOL. If you use your RP once and there is no FOB up, than you are also SOL.

Quote:
Look the maps a hard map, its ment to be this way, I'm not going to sugar coat it. Its one of the few maps where your not guaranteed a safe area. You need to be on the move or you die.

You whole argument of being stuck at main is wrong and comes down to players not adjusting to the map.

Anyways each release I try to tweak the map a bit, and I have a list of notes I will be adjusting in the next patch that allows gameplay change. The maps got issues,, ever release bring new issues, but stuck at main isnt on of them.
I'm fine with the map being hard, but with the changes to RPs, the new main doesn't help things because the US has to spend a great deal of time getting off that hill to set up FOBs. And with the Taliban main right to the North, its not hard for them to get there and stop the US flow of logistics or armor leaving US main. If the Taliban main was moved to the other side of the map, it could probably work, but with a spawn on the hill above US main (like last version), its a haven for RPGs, LMGs, snipers, grenadiers, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestial1 View Post
Bunch of taliban on hill = Less taliban on cache. Move out on foot and stick in secluded areas as US.
What happens when a cache spawns to the North or west of US main like what happened? Then they don't have to move very far to defend the cache.

Quote:
Logistics is the least of your worries on Korengal; there are very few FO spots, and even less sustainable FO spots. Instead, move in on foot quickly, and if you don't find the cache quickly, exfil immediately. Sitting still is death on Korengal. It's best to abandon your downed men to relocate, unfortunately, because sitting in one area long enough to heal them give the taliban at least 2 waves to throw themselves at you.
Logistics/FOBs are what makes attacks possible now. Unless you are some hot sh*t, you aren't gonna get the cache on the first go. I agree that's a good strategy and what I do (keep moving), but it usually doesn't work out that way in most situations.

"Push the Envelope, Watch It Bend"

Tool ~ Lateralus
00SoldierofFortune00 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-17, 04:18   #30
CodeRedFox
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
And with the Taliban main right to the North, its not hard for them to get there and stop the US flow of logistics or armor leaving US main.
I'm sorry I'm might be missing something? I hope to god there is not a Taliban main just north of the US base. It should be in the lower left hand corner and that's barely a main as its a pain to get out of there.

There should be some update in the next version. Which will add/updated back in (was removed in the beta) a temp US spawn in the valley which should help the FO building. But if a cache spawns near the US base, well tough its only a 1km map. Not much I can do about it or have hear anything acceptable to do about it.

Last edited by CodeRedFox; 2010-02-17 at 04:24..

Tags
korengal, valley, video