project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
26 Nov 2020, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

View Poll Results: Which default video setting best matches your settings for PR?
High 864 67.24%
Medium 250 19.46%
Low 171 13.31%
Voters: 1285. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-12-17, 21:43   #61
SilentWarrior

Default Re: [New for 2010!] Which level of graphics settings do you play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddsodz View Post
All high

8X AA

1920 X 1200

Does this mean the DEVs might just do what I wished and add some sort of MD5 check or make the game auto set everybody to "Medium or above" GFX setting? Because I would sure hope so. For the players here who don't know. Playing on low GFX setting give said players the ability to see things that players on High setting can not. IE: see pass/into smoke, grass not rendering and so players on High setting think they are in cover but are in fact not and so on. There is even a container on Fools road (so I am told) that is white on low setting but on high setting, it is red.

I Would love for this to happen as it would level the playing field so much. I Am sick of low GFX users getting all the advantages. Now before any says STFU. I Am talking about players that set their GFX settings to low even when they have a PC that can more than handle "All High" settings. For them that don't have a PC that can run BF2/PR all high. It's really about time to upgrade. The game itself is what? 5 years old? Surly you can splash out on a 6600GT or above and run all high like I used too.

Devs are already making their own foilage that can be seen by everyone, regardless of settings level.

I have a BFG 7800GT (best card possible at the time, except for the GTX one that had 512mb ddr3) that cost me 560euros (card alone), and I cant even have medium on all settings. I have most of them on medium, and some on low. It is not because I like sh1tty graphics or I like to see stuff others cant... but because i cant play otherwise.

Even my new macbook pro cant play PR on total high settings because it is a bit choppy.

And on my BFG 7800GT pc I can play normal BF2 (since beta) on ultra high settings, with forced 16xAA 16xAnsotropic.

Its just that PR is either, not "optimized", or the graphics are better than vBF2. Same as happen with Forgotten Hope and the BF42 engine, where people that had a computer to play BF42 on max settings couldnt even play FH1 on medium settings.

I have been playing the Battlefield series since BF42 Demo and I has always been like this, bad mods dont push so much for the pc as the vanilla versions, whereas good mods push much harder for the users pcs.

That sayed, (even tho I am one with old pc) I agree that PR cant be waiting for users when it comes to development of new things, PR devs should always try and push the engine limits as best as they can, while keeping things within the limits of the computers made in the last year or two ofc.

It is nice to see threads like this, if devs are using them to scout out the performance of their player base, hardware wise ofc.

Old 2009-12-17, 21:46   #62
Masaq
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Send a message via MSN to Masaq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbiie View Post
You Sir have stolen my name methinks o_0
Except of course he registered with these forums about 19 months before you

"That's how it starts, Mas, with that warm happy feeling inside. Pretty soon you're rocking in the corner, a full grown dog addict, wondering where your next St Bernand is coming from..." - IAJTHOMAS
"Did they say what he's angry about?" asked Annette Mitchell, 77, of the district, stranded after seeing a double feature of "Piranha 3D" and "The Last Exorcism." - Washington Post
Old 2009-12-17, 21:47   #63
ConscriptVirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperrocks View Post
Sadly still on low...
It looks so bad but the gameplay makes up for it :P
QFT! this is why i dont play games like CoD or even vanilla BF2 (i can run vBF2 on all high).

and for PR, im stuck on medium/ some low. stupid 8600m holding me back

"These things we do that others may live"
Old 2009-12-17, 21:52   #64
TheLean
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hieta View Post
Only situation where i've had any help of my settings was once on kashan when apache tried to shoot our tank with hellfires but epicly failed hitting 3-4 times right next to us. I was able to shoot the apache down with .50 cal and after i asked my gunner why he didn't shoot he said there was shitloads of smoke so he couldn't see anything.
Correction, the only time you know you benefited from it. If smoke is invisible, how do you know

The best solution to the grass problem IMO is to remove all undergrowth tall enough to hide players. Even people with the highest settings cannot render undergrowth far away, which kinda takes away the point of hiding in the grass, and it creates alot of absurd situations where we are invisible at five meters but plain visible at 100. I dont have many things to complain about in PR, but the stupid undergrowth system is my main Pet Peeve. I know its impossible to create realistic undergrowth in BF2 engine so; If its broken, dont use it.

On Topic: I use everything on highest except AA which is at 4x.
Old 2009-12-17, 21:54   #65
gazzthompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentWarrior View Post
Its just that PR is either, not "optimized", or the graphics are better than vBF2.
bigger view distances, more objects per map, more stuff on screen.

Old 2009-12-17, 22:18   #66
TheLean
Supporting Member

^^ Dont forget ambient wildlife such as bears. It is one of the laws of computer science that fuzzy brown mammals require huge amount of computer power to render.
Last edited by TheLean; 2009-12-17 at 22:29..
Old 2009-12-17, 23:06   #67
Oddsodz

Guys. Don't get me wrong. I Am not talking about players who don't have the funds/means to upgrade there PC's. I am talking about the players that have computers that "CAN" play PR at max setting but chose to set them to low to get extra advantages.

One thing I will add. I Know for a fact that a GT6600 can play PR at MAX setting at the res of 1600X1200 with no AA. I use to have a AMD 3700+ with 3GB of ram and it played all maps just fine.

Old 2009-12-17, 23:29   #68
$$JOSE$$

Everything maxed out and AA maxed out 1400x900
Old 2009-12-18, 00:59   #69
Sgt. Mahi

Medium

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentWarrior View Post
Pfff, can barely play medium, I say barely because my 4yr old my also lags at start on maps like Kashan, Quinlin or Asad Khal, enough to get be disconnected... but after i load up again, its fine.

I can play vBF2 with 1280x960 (wide 20'screen) with Ultra High settings and Nvidia panel pushing AA16 Anso16... why cant i get just... high on PR ? :/

Cant play Kashan for more than 2 hours (start getting tearing), and I cant play Ramiel for more than 10 minutes now, massive tearing, really disturbing : Wierd Graphic Bug in Ramiel 2 - Xfire Video ... i can see insurgents behind walls/hills/etc on Ramiel lol!

I have a AMD single core 3800+, 2GB ddr, BFG GeForce 7800 GT with 256mb.
From the looks on the your video it looks like your graphic card is history. Maybe you overclocked it?

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading
Old 2009-12-18, 01:29   #70
Tomato-Rifle

Send a message via MSN to Tomato-Rifle

I run between low-med.
When i have it on high, lets just say my flying gets poor

Closed Thread

Tags
2010, graphics, level, play, settings