project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
21 May 2022, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

Old 2017-04-21, 01:53   #1
obpmgmua
Default How much would it cost to hire you guys?

Completely hypothetical. Say some company came along and wanted to hire you guys out for contract work, how much would it cost? Or how much would it cost to buy you guys outright?

I'm drunk

If you want Spawnable RPGs and SVDs for Insurgent team

Sign Here ______________________
obpmgmua is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-21, 02:06   #2
carmikaze
Supporting Member

Default Re: How much would it cost to hire you guys?

Souls of cute little baby kittens. Thats how you get 'em.
carmikaze is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-21, 02:13   #3
[R-DEV]​mectus11
PR:BF2 Developer

You should just give me the money.

From what I've read before PR isn't a full time thing for the devs, they have jobs too.

mectus11 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-21, 03:27   #4
Bluedrake42
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Do not go down this path, trust me you don't want to see where it leads. Saying this out of experience.

It takes a very specific mentality and respect for the business to be a freelance contractor, and I can guarantee you the developers of Project Reality are not those kinds of people (nor is Squad tbh.) PR is more of a cult, not so much a contractor company.

However if you are interested in contract work, I can point you in the right direction... as that's like... all I do. I've had a lot of good experiences with engine marketplaces, as most of those developers are open to freelance contract work.

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/
https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace

Luckily unlike TurboSquid those places don't demand exclusivity, meaning most of those developers are open and actively seeking short-term contract work. However be wary of developers who aren't reliable... my general advice is to offer 50% payment up front, and 50% payment upon showcase of completed project. That's usually the best way to go about things.

Let me know what you find, cheers.

Bluedrake42 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-21, 04:35   #5
obpmgmua

Nah drake me and my friends were just reminiscing about the glory days of PR(on your server actually) so we wondered how much would it cost for the r-devs to rebuild .5 in a new engine and what not. And I'm the only one drunk enough to ask. I wouldn't even charge people, I'd put it on steam and let people enjoy it. I'm not rich by any means just generous.

P.S. .5 Basrah = Best

If you want Spawnable RPGs and SVDs for Insurgent team

Sign Here ______________________
obpmgmua is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-21, 08:48   #6
sweedensniiperr
Supporting Member

You mean hire PR devs?(didn't read it all tbh fam)

Spoiler for costs:
Enough hookers and blow to go around.

sweedensniiperr is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-21, 09:56   #7
Spook
Supporting Member

You cannot. Devs here work on this stuff for fun and in their free time. There is zero business mentality involved. There are no real deadlines for projects, no real pressure to ever finish something started. If something is done, it gets implemented, if not then not. So there is no point discussing this hypothetically as the work here is incompatible with any business model and purely hobby-based.

Spook is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-21, 10:52   #8
Bluedrake42
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by obpmgmua View Post
Nah drake me and my friends were just reminiscing about the glory days of PR(on your server actually) so we wondered how much would it cost for the r-devs to rebuild .5 in a new engine and what not. And I'm the only one drunk enough to ask. I wouldn't even charge people, I'd put it on steam and let people enjoy it. I'm not rich by any means just generous.

P.S. .5 Basrah = Best
Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]Spook View Post
You cannot. Devs here work on this stuff for fun and in their free time. There is zero business mentality involved. There are no real deadlines for projects, no real pressure to ever finish something started. If something is done, it gets implemented, if not then not. So there is no point discussing this hypothetically as the work here is incompatible with any business model and purely hobby-based.
^ like I said, I wouldn't even broach the topic. I have tried things like this numerous times, and trust me... even if they agreed to it... you don't even want to hire them. In fact especially if they agree to it, you don't want to hire them. There is just too big a difference between a contractor and a modder's mentality/skillset.

I would stick to hiring contractors who are looking to be hired, and there are plenty of those out there don't worry. If you're interested in seeing PR rebuilt by contractors outside of the PR community you can follow HD

https://forum.bluedrake42.com/index....ruary-roadmap/

as that is what we are attempting to do. If you want to help us there, you can go follow and contribute to our project on our own site.

Edit:

To answer your question, if you have a good project manager it probably would take about 25,000$ to build a basic functional system (shooting, driving, basic gamemodes) in Unreal Engine 4 if you have a talented programmer, animator, and rigger with quality marketplace assets and models.

Probably about 50,000$ or so if you want to have any decent level of content, and likely 150,000$+ to have all the content from Project Reality v0.5 updated to modern standards included in the game.

Although you could easily add a few 100,000$ depending on the levels of quality you're content with... you could easily get up to 250,000$ in costs if you develop all the assets from scratch... but that all depends on the connections you have, and how effective your contractors are.

For instance we were using assets custom built from Hum3D https://hum3d.com/ that our developers actually threw out and rebuilt from scratch, because the UV texture maps were so poorly organized... it was literally less work to just rebuild the entire asset.

Just lots of elements to consider, lots of moving pieces. Not impossible what-so-ever... but just requires a lot of micromanagement, and good contractor vetting. I've seen developers take 30,000$ and then botch an entire project... rendering all their work unusable. Good management is important to avoid those kinds of things... and can shave hundreds of thousands of dollars off of a project if managed appropriately.

Last edited by Bluedrake42; 2017-04-21 at 11:06..
Old 2017-04-21, 12:07   #9
QuickLoad

damnit guys he said hypothetical
QuickLoad is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-21, 17:09   #10
Rico
Retired PR Developer

Free frickin laser beam included
Rico is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
cost, guys, hire