project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
29 May 2022, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2021-10-19, 21:23   #1
WingWalker
Default PRSPY: Show the Game Clock

I always check PRspy when I get online, just because its easy.

I feel like I would join games more often if I could see what the game clock is at on PRSPY.

For instance, at times I get online and I ONLY have an hour or so to do whatever. I check PRspy automatically, but at those times I don't really look with much enthusiasm just because of all the variables getting in on a decent match with limited time.

Normally I would join a server with whatever is on as generally a warm up, which takes more time. (maybe this is common, so maybe showing the time would get people more involved?)

So, personally speaking, if I checked and saw my favorite map was on, but only in the first 30mins or something, I'd be more likely to join, and more often.

W.W.
v0.4
WingWalker is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-20, 14:57   #2
[R-MOD]Nate.
Forum Moderator
Project Reality Beta Tester
Supporting Member

Nate.'s Avatar
Default Re: PRSPY: Show the Game Clock

You can check the team K/D in PRSPY, which gives you a good indication on how far the round has progressed and how balanced it is.

Nate. is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-20, 16:55   #3
Bastiannn

Bastiannn's Avatar
Default Re: PRSPY: Show the Game Clock

A far better quality of life improvement is showing on PRSpy what the next map is. For a brief period some time ago a server or two had this working on PRSpy. Obviously nobody cares enough to make use of that option, or its too much effort or its a buggy feature.

Bastiannn is offline
Last edited by Bastiannn; 2021-10-20 at 17:00..
Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-20, 18:40   #4
Cpt.Future
Supporting Member

Cpt.Future's Avatar
Default Re: PRSPY: Show the Game Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingWalker View Post
So, personally speaking, if I checked and saw my favorite map was on, but only in the first 30mins or something, I'd be more likely to join, and more often.
https://prstats.tk/servers

Cpt.Future is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-20, 18:55   #5
[R-DEV]​AlonTavor
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator
Default Re: PRSPY: Show the Game Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastiannn View Post
A far better quality of life improvement is showing on PRSpy what the next map is. For a brief period some time ago a server or two had this working on PRSpy. Obviously nobody cares enough to make use of that option, or its too much effort or its a buggy feature.
adding "pr_maplist" to the MOTD does this, feature been around for more then a decade.
AlonTavor is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-20, 20:14   #6
lespyd
PR Server License Moderator
Default Re: PRSPY: Show the Game Clock

Quote:
Obviously nobody cares enough to make use of that option, or its too much effort or its a buggy feature.
I would never willingly enable this. Have you considered this may promote bad behaviors? Specifically, people will then never join the game and just wait for the map they want. This leads to the bystander effect.

You can see this effect in different areas:
- Ventrilo/TS -> Discord. Discord allows people to be a bystander, instead of actively participate. Effect: People rarely join voice channels as they can type async. Previously, people would actively idle a channel despite it being empty
- PRSpy already has an effect -> People would wait to see friends in the list before joining. Effect: people are waiting for each other to make the first move, ergo no one makes the first move
- The standard bystander effect example: You witness an accident, everyone assumes someone else has called for help, ergo no one actually called for help
- People asking who is going to the party- and if they dont see whoever they are looking for, they don't go. Effect: no one goes because no one commits first

Completely made up scenario, but I dont think too far from reality (though may be exaggerated): Infantry players who dont want to walk across a 4k desert map would not join khami if its next. Leaving asset players playing against other assets with no inf on flags. Vice versa; Asset players seeing muttrah next, leaving inf players to play against each other, and no one utilizing supporting assets.

But to your point OP about knowing how much time is left, that won't always work. Could be a steamroll and the map ends in 10 minutes. though the timer still says 3:50:00
lespyd is offline
Last edited by lespyd; 2021-10-20 at 20:24..
Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-21, 00:19   #7
Coalz101

Coalz101's Avatar
Default Re: PRSPY: Show the Game Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespyd View Post
I would never willingly enable this. Have you considered this may promote bad behaviors? Specifically, people will then never join the game and just wait for the map they want. This leads to the bystander effect.
The bystander effect is unavoidable anywhere you go, PRspy no PRspy, Teamspeak/discord no Teamspeak/discord, We will always come to PR, watch the map and decide whether its worth our times are not. If friends are around, but we don't really want to play the map, then we may reconsider just to spend time with them but if not we just forget it and move to the nice server/game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespyd View Post
Completely made up scenario, but I dont think too far from reality (though may be exaggerated): Infantry players who dont want to walk across a 4k desert map would not join khami if its next. Leaving asset players playing against other assets with no inf on flags. Vice versa; Asset players seeing muttrah next, leaving inf players to play against each other, and no one utilizing supporting assets.
I agree, but would you rather people come in the server load up and check !shownext, just to see this map is next then immediately leave? or would you rather people see a map they like next and pre join for it during the previous round to come play it?

Some people only care about next maps if their team sucks. I have a perfect example because I do it myself. Imagine getting steam rolled on a 2km map for the admin to set a 4km map next? Think about it, I won't waste my precious game hours just to have a terrible match when I can be doing something much more entertaining/necessary than this. Just think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespyd View Post
But to your point OP about knowing how much time is left, that won't always work. Could be a steamroll and the map ends in 10 minutes. though the timer still says 3:50:00
I mean the timer/clock could say time surpassed in current map, or the time left from the initial 4 hour timer. Time left doesn't mean necessarily when the game will actually end, atleast in PR context, it can end earlier. The time surpassed will just give an estimate into how long matches are going to be whenever you decide to join for the day. So if the score looks extremely skewed and only 10 minutes have surpassed then you're going to have a bad day.

Coalz101 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-21, 00:27   #8
lespyd
PR Server License Moderator
Default Re: PRSPY: Show the Game Clock

Quote:
I agree, but would you rather people come in the server load up and check !shownext, just to see this map is next then immediately leave? or would you rather people see a map they like next and pre join for it during the previous round to come play it?
Yes, the former, because I think that's silly and entitled, but that's just my personal opinion. I don't like Kashan, but I play it anyway because it's a part of the game, and my squad experience is what keeps me playing or not, not the map. Everyone is different, I'm just sharing my opinion.

Quote:
Some people only care about next maps if their team sucks. I have a perfect example because I do it myself. Imagine getting steam rolled on a 2km map for the admin to set a 4km map next? Think about it, I won't waste my precious game hours just to have a terrible match when I can be doing something much more entertaining/necessary than this. Just think about it.
Not sure what you're trying to say here, I agree. But it has no relevance of knowing what next map is outside of the game. You are already in the game getting steamrolled. That external info is moot.
lespyd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-21, 03:08   #9
Grump/Gump.45

Grump/Gump.45's Avatar
Default Re: PRSPY: Show the Game Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespyd View Post
Yes, the former, because I think that's silly and entitled, but that's just my personal opinion. I don't like Kashan, but I play it anyway because it's a part of the game, and my squad experience is what keeps me playing or not, not the map. Everyone is different, I'm just sharing my opinion.
I have wanted a "Next Map" notification, but if its something like Omaha other people might get in before me, that goes for everyone. At times I could feel Omaha being next and I dont join in time cause I dont listen to the feeling.
Grump/Gump.45 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-21, 05:27   #10
dcm
Default Re: PRSPY: Show the Game Clock

I agree.
dcm is offline Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 02:54.