project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > PR:BF2 Support
01 Jul 2022, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Support Help and support regarding PR:BF2 installation and in-game issues

Old 2014-06-27, 16:03   #11
[R-DEV]​LITOralis.nMd
Lead Support Technician
Supporting Member
Default Re: Perfomance issue with current patch

Right, single core speed and calculations per second are the limiting factor here.
The BF2 engine cna use two cores,
to get more out of your PC, you might consider overclocking,

Prerequisite:
1. a motherboard that is overclockable
2. a CPU cooler that can cool an OC'ed Clarksdale CPU . A cheap Hyper Evo 212+ Cooler Master: Hyper 212 EVO will do fine. Will cost about US$33
3. and CPU paste to install the CPU cooler. Many on the market, will cost about US$10

In general OC'ing your CPU will extend the life of your PC, of course it's up to you to decide if the $45 and few hours of working on the OC optimizing is worth your time, or to put the money and time aside to upgrade your entire CPU/mobo/RAM at some point in the future.

LITOralis.nMd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-27, 16:09   #12
Psyrus
Retired PR Developer

His CPU is overclocked to 3.8Ghz, I don't think that's gonna be a tenable solution.

If possible Flowright, can you run a benchmark with LOW & HIGH settings like I did above? You don't have to do the graph and stuff, just post the min/max/avg figures. Try to keep the conditions as close as possible (same route, same map) to reduce the unintended variance.
Psyrus is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-27, 19:22   #13
SAM609

hey man !
I'm gonna suggest one more thing to try out ! just disable hyper-threading on your CPU and see if that helps ! you can do that in your MB bios settings or by softwares such as process lasso !
good luck

SAM609 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-28, 17:21   #14
Daniel
Banned
Supporting Member

AND check what other programs are demanding some CPU load WHILE playing PR! ! ! Shutdown other programs that cause lots of CPU load!
Daniel is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-06, 13:57   #15
Flowright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
Looks like the GPU core utilisation is low, so maybe this is pointing towards the bottleneck being the CPU.

I'm not familiar with that CPU in particular, but when I try to weigh-up the different CPUs here that people are using with PR, particularly those encountering fps problems, I tend to look through this list to see where it ranks. Based on that list, the Core i5-650 ranks 4 tiers down from the latest and greatest.

It seems to me that PR, for whatever reason, really requires a strong core (single-threaded performance) these days to run consistently smooth, way beyond what people might think for such an old game. It would not surprise me to find the i5-650 being the reason frame rates are lacking here.

Do other folk running that CPU experience about the same? I suppose it would be good if we could start getting a list of CPUs and their relative performances together here for people to reference so people know what to expect. Not sure how to go about doing that though...
Hi Boris,

Thanks for joining. My brother has an i7 core and runs smoothly with no problem at all; and I meant smooth as BF3 smoothness (butter he calls it). Having said that, when I tried flying on Sbeneth outskirt; there was rubber banding too - that seemed to be inevitable. It seems clear from your post that my CPU is to blame. But it's an i5 so I don't know how much more I can ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]Psyrus View Post
His CPU is overclocked to 3.8Ghz
And yes, as Psyrus noticed, my core has already been pushed up from 3.56 to 3.8 Ghz. I am don't think a cooler is necessary and Lito, I am not so sure when you said
Quote:
In general OC'ing your CPU will extend the life of your PC
Did you mean shortening?

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]Psyrus View Post
If possible Flowright, can you run a benchmark with LOW & HIGH settings like I did above? You don't have to do the graph and stuff, just post the min/max/avg figures. Try to keep the conditions as close as possible (same route, same map) to reduce the unintended variance.
Indeed, I was expecting my graphic card to be under-utilised...it's as though PR does not optimise my graphic - could that happen? You also seem to understand my issue that setting my graphic to Highest didn't affect my frame that much! I am not pro at hardware - but I can tell from the graph that a lot of my memory hasn't been used.

I can run Fraps; but how would I be able to pick up the average, high and min? What program should I use for that? What is the route you used? If you can do a rough tracing, I can try giving you the high/low/avg Frame rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM609 View Post
hey man !
I'm gonna suggest one more thing to try out ! just disable hyper-threading on your CPU and see if that helps ! you can do that in your MB bios settings or by softwares such as process lasso !
good luck
I guess it does not hurt to give it a try. Will report to you as soon I have time.
To Daniel, most of programs are turned off except Skype, the Logitech gaming software, my colour calibration software running in the background. I don't think RAM is an issue given I have 12GB. Also, I have tried running at Prority set to "High" in Task Manager - doesn't seem to improve frames that much.

Thank you for your support.
Last edited by Flowright; 2014-07-06 at 14:08..

Tags
current, issue, patch, perfomance