project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback > Maps
17 Aug 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2018, 04:32 PM   #1
Raidonrai
PR Server License Administrator

Default Yamalia Winter

I think this map has a lot of problems.

First of all is the lack of visual cover for infantry. There are almost no bushes on the map, and a lot of the trees don't have any leaves at ground level.

I assume in an attempt to counter this you've made the terrain extremely bumpy across the entire map to provide rudimentary cover for infantry, but this, in turn, is mildly annoying to run around on as inf, constantly having to go up and down, and also makes crewing ground vehicles genuinely nausea-inducing because of the shaking. Also has the knock on effect of making it very difficult for APCs to find flat ground to stop sliding whilst in the "wooded" areas of the map, and makes it literally impossible for APCs or Tanks to hit anything whilst moving.

The problem of lack of visual cover for infantry is further exacerbated by the long view range the map has. This means that once vehicles, especially those with thermals, are in a good position, there is almost nothing infantry can do except lie down and hope their particular little ditch doesn't get splashed with HE.

I have to say I'm pretty disappointed that we've lost regular Yamalia for this objectively inferior version and if possible I'd like to see old Yamalia return as a Summer variant, like Dovre.

The lack of a full blizzard layer is also totally lame and is possibly the only thing that would make this version more interesting in my eyes.
Raidonrai is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:12 PM   #2
chrisweb89
PR Server License Moderator
Default Re: Yamalia Winter

Honestly, I hate it, more than old yamalia, which i already didn't like and felt wasn't PR quality. Only time I've had fun is running a mortar/trans squad and thats just because mortars are still OP on this map with UAV and island type flags.

Not sure why its ingame and the server files, but other great maps like sunset city, ejod and quinling with some work aren't ingame.
chrisweb89 is online now Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 11:33 PM   #3
Hunter291

I think if you add like a snow storm for like a alt version it might be better
Hunter291 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:35 AM   #4
arjan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisweb89 View Post
Not sure why its ingame and the server files, but other great maps like sunset city, ejod and quinling with some work aren't ingame.
Much love for EJOD, would love to see that map back at some point. For this thread, i agree.
arjan is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
winter, yamalia