project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
23 Jul 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 2008-06-06, 16:21   #1
sixthday

Arrow Squad Status - Command improvement

Hey, I've experienced, while playing as commander, that sometimes (especially if SL's have no mics or simply do not talk - but not only) it is very hard to coordinate various squads (what should be CO's main task).

I thought of a little improvement which could have a major impact on organizing big, multisquad attacks.

A "squad status system" could do the job. Every SL could choose from his rose in which status he is at the moment: e.g.:
  • waiting for orders / idle
  • in move
  • constructing
  • securing
  • in position
  • ready for attack
  • in combat
  • need reinforcements
  • dead / knocked out

The status of every squad could appear on the commander's and every squad leader's main screen as texts or icons. This way it would improve game play too, even if no commander is available or few squads in proximity to each other could organize themselves without interrupting the CO.

With such powerful communication system the commander could order different squads to get in position and, for example, attack when everyone is ready.
It would give the commander a bigger overview to assess the situation, show him where soldiers meet resistance, what should be reinforced and where to send the men.

What do you think? Comments and improvements welcome!

For example (did this very hasty, sorry for such an ugly picture )
Last edited by sixthday; 2008-06-06 at 16:43..
Old 2008-06-06, 19:45   #2
arjan

Default Re: Squad Status - Command improvement

i like, but would take some time to do
arjan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-06, 19:57   #3
dbzao
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

The idea of communicating status is something good, but there are a few alternate ways of doing that with tools already in-game (voip, chat).

So unless this brings other incentives it's not that useful imo.
dbzao is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-06, 20:21   #4
Smegburt_funkledink

Nice suggestion, This could help the lack of inter-squad communication due to hardcoded voip.

However, I don't like the idea of helping organisation without a CO or kinda cutting out the middle man. All games, even on public servers with less mic' users should be encouraged to have commanders and follow orders.

Also, I prefer telling/hearing the commander/squadleader "squad 1 moving in from the south"..."roger that, squad 2 will cover your six" than have more text on screen.

I have a feeling that if this feature was in vBF2, it'd have been taken out by PR by now as these tasks should be performed over the COm channel.

If we can get samples or record voices for "in position", "moving in" etc... then it'd be worth being able to shout that out to other squads via the rose.

[R-Div]Robbi "There's nothing more skanky than eating out of a tub of hummus with a screwdriver."
[R-DEV]Matrox "CHINAAAAAAA!!!"
Smegburt_funkledink is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-06, 20:40   #5
sixthday

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]dbzao View Post
but there are a few alternate ways of doing that with tools already in-game (voip, chat).
So unless this brings other incentives it's not that useful imo.
What I wanted to improve with this suggestion is the overview for the commander. Often you just don't know what the different squads are doing. You cant ask for status every time because it disturbs 1. the squadleader and 2. it takes the opportunity to react quickly

For example, you have one squad which sits in the woods all the time - you are pretty pissed off that they to not follow orders - you are asking - min. later you are asking again.... and so on. If you have 5 more squads, you can't follow one to watch them all the time.

And as I said before, it is crutial being able to react quickly. You're about to lose a flag or two - now you have some squads all over the map - you can't decide quick enough if you have to ask every squad for status.
Sometime squads are deplaced, but they do a great job keeping hostile attention on them - destructing infrastructure.

An just a few words on
Quote:
I don't like the idea of helping organisation without a CO or kinda cutting out the middle man.
I don't thing that improvement has the capability to omit the commander, as it just gives the status and nothing else. Any tactics ect. have to be discussed with the CO.
That means without tactical communication the team will lose as quick as now.
But what such an improvement is capable of is to increase the strategy.
Have you ever seen a squad asking the commander if 5 other squads are ready and in position before attacking a location?

Big greets
sixthday is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-07, 10:25   #6
Death_dx

I like this idea, but I'd venture a guess that displaying the squad's status to the SL would be difficult if not impossible, but perhaps the icon that changed when a squad requested new orders in bf2 could be used.

Death_dx is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-07, 11:38   #7
1st.Gunnery

Hey sixthday,

i realy like the idea of the "squad status system", it will help the CO to see with one look whats his teams doing right now, and he can coordinate his resources as needed.

I think only the CO should see this kind of info, and not all other SL.

This kind of system will increase the gameplay for the hole team.

thnx

Gunny
1st.Gunnery is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-07, 12:37   #8
pureperversions
Supporting Member

this would also help lots in the international stage not every squad leader and commander may speak the same languge so a english speaking commander trying to find out what a polish/french/german/ speaking squad is doing can be really hard at times

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre. C'est de la folie
pureperversions is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-07, 12:41   #9
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Looks good to me, commanders need to know when a plan is sidetracked.

Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-07, 12:42   #10
mammikoura

nice idea but I'm a bit worried about SL's actually using it. They have a lot to do already so changing the status all the time might be a pain in the ass which results in SL's not doing it.

It is the soldier, not the priest, who protects freedom of religion; the soldier, not the journalist, who protects freedom of speech.
mammikoura is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
commader, command, communication, improvement, interface, sqad, squad, status, tactic