project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
23 Jul 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2017-06-30, 21:07   #1
Pep_73
Default PR Server status Checker

Sometime ago I was bored since the server I usually play was full (=HOG=) so I decided to make something that would join two of my hobbies: PR and MCU programming.
With the suggestions and tips of some community members, I've made this server status checker with a ESP8266, that gets information from gamespy port (Thanks UTurista for the tip) and displays it.
I'm not a programmer (my education and daily job has nothing to do with programming), so I also learned quite some things with the project.

Feel free to give suggestions!
If you want to do something similar by yourself PM and I can send some code to get you started (The code of this version is way to messy and I had to change some libraries to get it working, so is not good to share).
A major worry that I had was that this thing didn't disturb the server (too many requests) because after all I want to be able to play in it.
Last edited by Pep_73; 2017-06-30 at 21:13..
Old 2017-06-30, 23:13   #2
FlyingR
Default Re: PR Server status Checker

Dude you're creative as fuck man! This is awesome and hilarious! Well done! You should make one for Squad, BFs, CODs, etc. and youll be rich!!!

And if you put PRTA server will the red light always be on?
FlyingR is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-01, 00:01   #3
Pep_73

Well, for BF would be about the same code for version 2, for the other versions might have to look.
For Squad is totally possible, already have some of the code done. It's actually is the same for most steam games, but the information they return is less than gamespy.
For COD I don't have a clue, didn't look for it.
By the way, the yellow blinking light I added after you suggestion on my previous post...thanks for that. Could be a buzzer too with sound but it would be annoying if I forget to turn the alarm mode off and would not be around
Pep_73 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-01, 07:07   #4
Wicca
Supporting Member
PR Server License Moderator

holy crap that is some next fookin level shit!

Xact Wicca is The Joker. That is all.
Wicca is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-01, 11:57   #5
[R-DEV]Mats391
PR:BF2 Lead Developer
Supporting Member

Auto deploy also tries to join every 5sec, so that might be easier for you than looking at a LED, it has no J warning tho

Mineral: TIL that Wire-guided missiles actually use wire
Mats391 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-01, 15:31   #6
[R-DEV]​BloodyDeed
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Haha, this is amazing, great work!

BloodyDeed is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-01, 21:08   #7
FlyingR

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Mats391 View Post
Auto deploy also tries to join every 5sec, so that might be easier for you than looking at a LED, it has no J warning tho
My friend and I tried Auto deploy today but the "joining" screen was glitching and the game crashed.
FlyingR is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-04, 14:35   #8
ZektorSK

Great, how long did it take to make ?
ZektorSK is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-04, 22:16   #9
Pep_73

Well that's a good question!
- From the first time I thought about it untill I decided to make it: 1 year (I'm that lazy)
- Since I decided to make it to have one small screen with number of players and map: 3-4 hours of testing UDP protocols and programming.
- To this version it took me at least 1 month to wait for some components (bigger oled+rotary encoder) and then about 1/2hour to 1 hour per day for a month to fine tune and implement new ideas.
- With the code and components at hand it takes about 10 minutes to get it working.

As soon I have some time, I'll try and make a multiscreen version that doesn't need more that the MCU+oled.
Pep_73 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-05, 07:07   #10
ZektorSK

3-4 hours of testing ? Holy shit, I wouldn't last for 10 minutes to constantly test it ...
I wish you the best luck with the multiscreen version !
ZektorSK is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
checker, server, status