project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
10 Dec 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

Old 2012-12-14, 12:37   #1
Spearhead
Retired PR Developer

Send a message via ICQ to Spearhead Send a message via MSN to Spearhead
Post 2012: An Origin Odyssey

I opened this thread to tell the story of my encounter with the EA Origin customer service and to see what experiences other people on these forums had with those guys.

The whole thing started when Mass Effect 3 came out and I obtained a key for the game online. I think there were even sme troubles in the first two weeks of receiving it but I think it was resolved by getting a new key. My memory is a little sketchy here since the key was bought by a friend and I did not find any logs of the communication about the subject.

Things were fine (well except for the game's ending) from then on until I went into my Origin account some weeks ago. I was thinking about ME3 and could recall playing the game but did not remember how I got the game and if it was installed. After going through my memory I recalled that the game was on Origin but I did not see it in my games list. A strange thing that was not resolved by checking if it was hidden by accident.

So I contacted customer support and over the weeks these messages were exchanged:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Mass Effect 3 went missing from my Origin account. I suspect this has to do with the Product Code being purchased off a third party. If this is the reason for the missing entry, then you should be made aware of the following: Removing a game from an account without even notifying the customer is completely unacceptable behaviour and will result in said customer to opt out of doing business with EA / Origin and any of it's associates whenever alternatives are present. If the situation can not be resolved reasonably within one week said customer will also inform his associates of the problematic nature of EA / Origin's treatment of their customers as well as recommended alternatives to their services.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA
Thank you for contacting Electronic Arts.

At first, please accept my apologies for any delay in addressing your issue. I understand that you are having trouble to access the game as game has been removed from Origin library. I agree that this must be disappointing for you. Due to security reasons before investigating in the account, we need to verify the account. I would appreciate if you share some information mentioned below:

1) 20 digit product code of the game:
2) E-Mail ID linked with the game:
3) Date of birth listed on the account:

Once I get required details verified, I would be able to investigate in this matter.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
Pratik
Electronic Arts ? World Wide Customer Experience
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
as per your requested Information here is what I can provide:

1. I did receive the code from a former friend. I was unsure on the way of delivery but after checking our communication logs I found out that I was just told the product code and did directly enter it into the product activation field. Since these codes are only used once I did not feel any need to write it down for future reference. Of course you should have any details in your database so if you need any further confirmation feel free to ask a different question.

2. As I am not familiar with the term "E-Mail ID" I can only assume you refer to the Origin ID which is XXXXX. My E-Mail address of course is the one your message was sent to and the reply will come from.

3. My date of birth is XXXXX

If you need further information to start your investigation let me know about this. I am not in any hurry to access the game but I am rather concerned about the system that is behind the deactivation.

Regards,
XXXXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA
Thank you for contacting Electronic Arts again and thank you for the requested information.

Please accept my apologies for any delay in addressing your issue. I can understand the frustration you are enduring at the moment for not getting a timely reply, but please know that due to high volume of contacts we were unable to provide our level best to get back to you as fast as possible.

Actually, as I have checked your account and found that the game from your account was disabled by our Expert for fraudulent purchase of key code.

Again, we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. Feel free to contact us with any additional questions or concerns.

You can also receive online assistance at http://help.ea.com/

Regards,
Rubul
Electronic Arts - World Wide Customer Experience
Quote:
Originally Posted by ME
Hello, of course I would like to inquire on further details concerning this matter. What caused your local "expert" to assume the key was sold in a fraudulent manner? What was the "intended" purpose for the key and how did it's use deviate to become blacklisted. Also I would like information on why you did not notify your customers (I assume I am not the only one) about your actions.

Any further information provided (or lack thereof) will strongly influence my future attitude regarding the purchase of products related to your service as well as my communication about my impressions of said service. Being voted "Worst Company in America" this may not sound like much of a change but maybe you would want to use this opportunity to improve your public image rather than solidify it.

Regards,
XXXXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA
Thank you for contacting Electronic Arts again.

I sincerely apologize for the delay in response. Going forward, we would do our best to respond in time. And I appreciate your interest towards Mass Effect 3. I also appreciate your ideas towards the game and I agree that these ideas would be make the game better. I have made points of areas suggested by you and would definitely forward to our expert team.

In meanwhile I would appreciate if you also post your comments on our official forum by referring the link given below:

Choose Language | BioWare Social Network

This is the best way to share your ideas with our moderators and other players as well. If other players support you, I believe that new patch would be issued very soon.

As a token of gratitude, please allow me to offer you this Discount Code (XXXXX) that should allow you a 15% Discount on Origin. The code can be redeemed at: Origin and is valid till (Last day of the Calendar month) on released games (except Pre-orders and new releases).

Again, thank you for giving us the opportunity to assist you with your issue.

Please feel free to get in touch with us anytime. You can also access our online knowledgebase at: http://help.ea.com/

Regards,
Rubul
Electronic Arts ? World Wide Customer Experience
It seems on the last message they completely ignored anything that came before and simply put in a generic answer. Right now I'm not sure on how to proceeed (except for the obvious action of avoiding EA Origin in future dealings)

Anyone else had similar experiences with those guys? Anyone ever got them to give you a straight answer? Any advice? It's not like I really want ME3 back but of course I'm not at all happy about them silently removing games from the account and refusing any cooperation when it comes to the resolution of the situation.

Spearhead is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-14, 13:23   #2
Qaiex

Default Re: 2012: An Origin Odyssey

lol EA are stupid.
Fraudulent purchase... What, meaning it was a real key, but you bought it from someone other than them?
That's not how the law works. If you buy something, it's yours. And you can resell it to whoever you want for whatever price you want and they have no business telling anyone not to do that. Isn't what they're doing illegal?

Qaiex is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-14, 14:33   #3
Pvt.LHeureux
-

EA costumer support is terrible and as always been.

The last entry sounds like it was sent to you instead of another person lol.

Chuva_RD : You want to remove bugged thing but dont tell how to fill formed void.
Pvt.LHeureux is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-14, 20:37   #4
karambaitos

Send a message via MSN to karambaitos

I actually had a good experience with them with me3, they gave me my cool weapons unlocks for preordering, before the game was even unlocked in europe xD

and steam just like origin dont like grey market codes, BECAUSE YOU NEED TO BUY THEIR OVERPRICED SHIT

There is only one unforgivable lie That is the lie that says, This is the end, you are the conqueror, you have achieved it and now all that remains is to build walls higher and shelter behind them. Now, the lie says, the world is safe.? The Great Khan.

40k is deep like that.
karambaitos is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-14, 22:58   #5
Robbeh

You might want to check what your consumer rights are, I'm pretty sure that would be illegal for them to do over here...
Robbeh is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-16, 14:48   #6
Spearhead
Retired PR Developer

Well it seems there is little I can do from where I stand right now (without investing too much work for it to pay off in any reasonable way). I guess the way to go is to avoid the Origin service as much as possible. That should at least save me from further trouble with this bunch.

Old 2012-12-16, 14:59   #7
gipakok

I actually prefer origin support more than steam since Origin has never helped me in any way but steam support actually ruined my entire save at a Total War game (which were some dozens of hours that I'll never do again) AND gave me a generic answer 2-3 times in a row which basically meant "Did what we just said just ruined your game? Do it again then!
gipakok is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-16, 22:25   #8
epoch
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

I'm not familiar with ME3, but:

Origin License Agreement:

Quote:
1. License Grant and Terms of Use.

A. Grant. EA grants you a personal, limited, non-exclusive license to install and use the Application for your personal, noncommercial use solely as set forth in this License and any accompanying documentation. Your acquired rights are subject to your compliance with this License.? Any commercial use is prohibited. You are expressly prohibited from sublicensing, renting, leasing or otherwise distributing the Application or rights to use the Application. The term of your license shall commence on the date that you start to download, install or otherwise use the Application, and shall end on the earlier of the date that you dispose of the Application; or EA's termination of this License.
According to that, if you did not purchase the license, you have no rights to use the software. Unless you can gift a key, like you can in Steam???

Perhaps this is the reason behind EA's actions?

[R-MOD]Cp: epoch if I wasn't dancing right now I'd shoot you.
Last edited by epoch; 2012-12-17 at 00:12..
Old 2012-12-17, 16:30   #9
Spearhead
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]epoch View Post
According to that, if you did not purchase the license, you have no rights to use the software. Unless you can gift a key, like you can in Steam??? Perhaps this is the reason behind EA's actions?
It had nothing to do with my friend giving the key to me. Imagine someone buying the key from a keystore online and instead of using it himself he gives it to someone else (in the same country). So basically it is as if I had bought it myself. Except for them knowing the details that it was a gift there is no indication that I did not buy it myself. The problem has to be between the key store and origin.

My theory is that either the key was obtained by the store in a fraudulent fasion (stolen credit cards seem a common problem here) or the key was not destined for the country it was activated in. Either way origin's lack of informing the customer about their action as well as their lack of cooperation so far are the real problems here.

I decided to try my luck once more and added the following note to the case:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME
Your last response did not adress any of the questions I asked. Therefor I'd like you to review my last response, find the questions and answer them. Otherwise I'd like you to refer me to someone who is able to handle this subject.
Maybe in another week I'll have a new reply from them. Wonder if they will continue along the generic path or actually make any effort to push this forward.

As for Steam support: I once had a run-in with them in a similar matter. A key I bought did not activate. They also took a few days for the messages to go back and forth and they also did show very little competence or cooperation but they actually did move forward and come up with an answer to my question (it was not precise enough but since the problem was resoved by the other party involved I did not follow up on this) So right now I'd say steam seems to be the lesser evil but not by a huge margin. I guess this is how things always go if a company has the market cornered. That's why I was surprised about Origin being so uncooperative. If they want to compete with Valve you should try to actually do some things better than them... but I guess it's the same as with everyone copying CoD and wondering why they can't compete.

Tags
2012, odyssey, origin