project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
27 Jan 2022, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2015-08-04, 16:36   #21
Web_cole
Supporting Member

Web_cole's Avatar
Default Re: Dear veterans, quitchyerbitchun about newb SLs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaiper View Post
Not having a mic =/= not having a gun and brain.

TL;DR:
Having a mic is better than not having one. But, please, don't just ditch people simply because they don't have one, leaving squad half empty. Anyone with a weapon who follows orders is useful, very useful. Squad chat still exists and you should use it and read it.
This is simply not the case. If you don't have a mic, you are a liability. You cannot communicate effectively, you cannot call your targets, you cannot explain to your SL why you can't follow an order, you can't ask for ammo, you definitely cannot ask for a medic. Yes you can type, but it takes 10 times longer to communicate anything effectively, and importantly, you can't do anything else while typing. With a mic, you can shoot and talk at the same time. You cannot send text chat whilst dead (your living teammates won't see it) therefore you cannot ask for a revive and guide a medic to you.

You are a giant and unnecessary handicap that the rest of your squad has to overcome.

Web_cole is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-04, 17:28   #22
Snaiper
Default Re: Dear veterans, quitchyerbitchun about newb SLs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Web_cole View Post
This is simply not the case. If you don't have a mic, you are a liability. You cannot communicate effectively, you cannot call your targets, you cannot explain to your SL why you can't follow an order, you can't ask for ammo, you definitely cannot ask for a medic. Yes you can type, but it takes 10 times longer to communicate anything effectively, and importantly, you can't do anything else while typing. With a mic, you can shoot and talk at the same time. You cannot send text chat whilst dead (your living teammates won't see it) therefore you cannot ask for a revive and guide a medic to you.

You are a giant and unnecessary handicap that the rest of your squad has to overcome.
That's why your 4-man squad gets annihilated, doesn't it?

Chat exists for a reason. And is quite easy to use. Tried it?


You either haven't played PR enough or are extremely ignorant of the situation. When you call for medic through voice, the medic cannot effectively find your body, especially if you're amongst many bodies. This is why you can call medic by right clicking the "GIVE UP" button and it shows him exactly where you are on the map, especially if you are out of local voice area. Tried that?

And, it doesn't take ten times longer. Not even two times longer. If you're typing that slow, then I can doubt you can do anything else effectively. Never heard or seen anyone try to shoot and talk at the same time, because it's simply a waste of bullets. Thanks that to the fact that there is no option for auto-activation on speech recognition. So you have to hold a button the entire time you are trying to talk whilst trying to properly suppress or take out a target and not get shot.

And again, you haven't heard of the right click the give up button? Instead of having to guide a medic through a maze and waste time, everyone's ears and voice channel, you can simply right click the button that states "GIVE UP / CALL MEDIC" and boom, medic sees exactly where you are by simply pressing caps lock once. Amazing, isn't it?

I refused to used mic a handful of times, to prove to myself if I were right or wrong about it, I was also in a squad where half of it didn't have mic, but they followed orders. And yet, despite all that, somehow, we were the top squad in our team and managed to capture points, hold points and win the round alongside our team.

What I'm saying is basic logic. Just because you cannot speak, doesn't mean you cannot do anything else. The fact that you constantly have to hold a button whilst speaking and trying to do whatever else makes it far less efficient.

And, yet, you said "that is simply not true" and failed to disprove any of my claims:

Can a person not have mic and have a brain? Yes, a person can.
Can a person not have mic and have a gun? Yes, a person can.
Is having mic better than not having one? Yes, it is.
Can a person without a mic follow orders? Yes, a person can.
Can a person without a mic suppress, kill and operate with its kit? Yes, a person can.
Is 4/8 with mic better than 8/8 where only 4 have mic? No, it isn't, because above stands true.

You know, we should just start banning people who cannot use mic from the game. Yeah, because they're just a liability. And we can't afford that! They're ruining the game by not speaking using mic! Whoops, there goes the player base!

Damn, your definition of liability is liberal.

I doubt there's any point in further discussing this with you since you've proven yourself ignorant from the beginning. You said "you cannot communicate effectively" and then you went to put examples of that as arguments, when the only argument is "you cannot communicate effectively".

My mic is broken. But I am a great marksman that can take out an entire squad without wasting a bullet. But, I cannot hold H or numpad 0 entire time whilst speaking, so I have to press a button and type it in chat, therefore I am a handicap and should be kicked. Let that example be there for you.
Snaiper is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-04, 17:55   #23
_Fizzco_
Default Re: Dear veterans, quitchyerbitchun about newb SLs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaiper View Post
=Snip=

_Fizzco_ is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-04, 18:06   #24
Steeps
Supporting Member

Steeps's Avatar
Default Re: Dear veterans, quitchyerbitchun about newb SLs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaiper View Post


You either haven't played PR enough or are extremely ignorant of the situation.
I stopped reading when I saw this sentence, that's how bad your post is. You say that with an account created 1 month ago? Please troll somewhere else.


Steeps is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-04, 18:22   #25
Psyko

Psyko's Avatar
Default Re: Dear veterans, quitchyerbitchun about newb SLs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost1800 View Post
I was gonna say, this has been a problem since... well... the dawn of civilization. personal hygiene is an incredibly complex and difficult social skill that has to be developed over time, and it will stagnate in different body parts differently (to include, not at all). I myself am a horrendous leader, and even then only an mediocre at best follower. By nature I have a tendency to rambo like a noob and I will even "be off in la-la-land inconsiderately ignoring orders", good or bad, to suit what I think is the best course of action. But I am not going to take my medication or admit i'm being dumb as a brick. If I can't do a better job I'm not going to bring it to everyone's attention and then run off with the sniper kit having started an argument in squad chat.
fixed a few things

5X5, readback correct, Ghost is a noob.
Psyko is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-04, 18:40   #26
Wing Walker
Default Re: Dear veterans, quitchyerbitchun about newb SLs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Web_cole View Post
You are a giant and unnecessary handicap that the rest of your squad has to overcome.
Everything you said is completely wrong.

If your usefulness is incapacitated so much just because you have to work with a player who can't use a mic, you should just not Squad lead at all.

I have never experienced such epic tragedy, and trauma, just because I had people in my squad that could not talk.
Wing Walker is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-04, 18:43   #27
Finrar

Finrar's Avatar
Default Re: Dear veterans, quitchyerbitchun about newb SLs

5/5 rant would read again

But yeah im really happy, that most servers enforce using mics. Nothing is more frustrating, than trying to lead a guy without a mic. It just wont work. Never

Finrar is offline
Last edited by Finrar; 2015-08-04 at 18:48..
Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-04, 18:47   #28
mintyflinty

mintyflinty's Avatar
Default Re: Dear veterans, quitchyerbitchun about newb SLs

Do you watch TV with no audio?

I have a couple of times, it's real crap.

mintyflinty is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-04, 19:04   #29
ComedyInK

ComedyInK's Avatar
Default Re: Dear veterans, quitchyerbitchun about newb SLs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaiper View Post




You either haven't played PR enough or are extremely ignorant of the situation. When you call for medic through voice, the medic cannot effectively find your body, especially if you're amongst many bodies. This is why you can call medic by right clicking the "GIVE UP" button and it shows him exactly where you are on the map, especially if you are out of local voice area. Tried that?



And again, you haven't heard of the right click the give up button? Instead of having to guide a medic through a maze and waste time, everyone's ears and voice channel, you can simply right click the button that states "GIVE UP / CALL MEDIC" and boom, medic sees exactly where you are by simply pressing caps lock once. Amazing, isn't it?
That's cool and all, but did you know that only works twice? Did you also know what you can rebind you Local and Squad keys to something more convenient? Did you also you can you open up your map, tell the medic where you are via voip and then talk in local for him to come to you?

get better, buy a mic.
ComedyInK is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-04, 19:07   #30
PolishKruk
Supporting Member

PolishKruk's Avatar
Default Re: Dear veterans, quitchyerbitchun about newb SLs

Whoa, easy guys. No need to get so worked up over this. Micless guys do make it more difficult but it just requires you to change your leadership style. You have to micro that guy a little more so everyone knows his role but thats about it. Besides, a guy w/o a mic is so much easier to deal with than the idiot that doesn't know how to shutup and is constantly squalking on squad chat about random bullshit.

Also, in my opinion, your job as an SL is not to dictate peoples fun, our job as squad leaders is to enhance the fun of this game. That guy without a mic has just as much right to enjoy this game as that fourteen year old that won't shutup.

I haven't led a squad in a few days mainly because I wanted to take a break and learn a little more from other SLs. Also, I hate being an SL on a map I have never played before. Great discussion guys. Keep it up but keep it friendly.

Everybody fights, no one quits. If you don't do your job I'll kill you myself.
PolishKruk is offline Reply With Quote
Reply


Tags
newb, quitchyerbitchun, sls, veterans
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 05:30.