project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
22 Oct 2021, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2021-10-12, 09:35   #71
Danielj15

Default Re: We Need More Servers

this thread is legit just dcm talking out hes ass

crazy to see people still crying about hog legit just go seed u777 or a different server or shut up and play on hog

btw hog should of been shut down years ago but here we are

Danielj15 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-12, 21:00   #72
willylumplump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate. View Post
1. improve onboarding experience:
- tutorials/guides for the basics instead of text-focussed manual (feel free to post your ideas/additons here: https://www.realitymod.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=134819 )
- welcoming and forgiving player base

2. promotion
- PR has unique gameplay and depth + it's free (feel free to promote the game in your circles)

3. continued updates
- Development is not over, and much more is to come -> new players are not investing in an abandoned game.
excellent points! point 1 is the most important to help keep new players. i see too often how new players are treated by a majority of players. a minority of players will actively seek and mentor newbs. i guess some people do not realize you get more flies with honey instead of vinegar.
willylumplump is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-13, 05:28   #73
Grump/Gump.45

Exclamation Re: We Need More Servers

Quote:
Originally Posted by willylumplump View Post
i see too often how new players are treated by a majority of players. a minority of players will actively seek and mentor newbs. i guess some people do not realize you get more flies with honey instead of vinegar.
Vinegar makes tougher flies. I can teach the basics, but some people don't learn that and stick to bad habits. They join my squad, i teach them, they get it for a day. I dont play for a week and those players went through some dumb squad leaders. Who cant do both setting objective and standards within squad, the SL's poison their minds with useless discussions of flanking, too much focus on elementary school level words and not having discipline to do it right in effective use of the definition of these words. Its like a Sesame Street squad leader with "word of the day", for pre-schoolers learn very slowly with almost nothing useful on the screen or coming out of the speakers. Let alone staying in view of each other to immediately save each other while doing anything. Either they are too close to each other or too far away to help, being shot by the same machine gunner/grenadier either all together or one at a time.

So they werent told grenade spread and other things for a few days, but they know it I hope. Its common sense in words, not actually a whole lot in game and lots of things are pretty common. Like grenades, very common or the whole category of varying sizes of explosives. Its in their kits but they dont know how spread out to walk, its stay in view of each other by stay grenade spread minimum. What does that mean for tactics? They dont put any type of discipline to stick to it, at least 50% of the time.

Its hard for me to do what I say 100% of time. Then once im doing it i need to make it work, take out the aggressive parts of it in imagination that get you killed but dont let that reduce aggression of the tactic. Its ok to step out of angle of enemy, everyone wants to survive, they were alive before you showed up, they will likely be alive after if you mess up so no need to rush and ruin the squads experience. Everyone makes complaints to me "but squad leader enemy isnt dead" as if its guarantee when I or my friendly goes in that we will kill that enemy.

Its dealing with people who have personality disorders that make them think they are a main character in a movie who will always win or something making these complaints about my tactics. Hollywood and Call Of Duty. True control is being able to walk up, pre-fire, psychologically pin them deep in room and walk away. Play with the food more, tear up its psychological plan it had for that area before it eats you. Which is where people get stuck on the next step of creative escapes because they just trashed your little plan.

Did I mention I'm a deadly SOB? Life is like a box of chocolates fool, you never know if its me till you break down that psychological warfare that done happened to you or your friendlies. Get to know me on the Squad v12 and Project Reality 1.5 teamwork playlist on YouTube for 20+ skills
Grump/Gump.45 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-13, 05:29   #74
Grump/Gump.45

Exclamation Re: We Need More Servers

Quote:
Originally Posted by willylumplump View Post
excellent points! point 1 is the most important to help keep new players. i see too often how new players are treated by a majority of players. a minority of players will actively seek and mentor newbs. i guess some people do not realize you get more flies with honey instead of vinegar.
You dont need to kill enemy right then and there all the time at distance when they see you, step out of angle. Every player wants to survive as much as the other, why shorten the experience going for 50/50 chance shot of "who is better at aiming and can kill who first sitting still". Those guys take away from better players who would bail away in my squad, leaves me with just another useless player who calls for medic while having their body watched. That is some PRTA server bullshit from back in the day I noticed was once exclusive to that server, HOG nipped that medic calling shit in butt back in day. 60 seconds to set standard so things go good on objective, not getting blown up in one spot with everyone.

Understandably, putting four "separate" things together like 1 man per cover, move cover to cover, stay in view of each other to save each other and grenade spread is hard for some people. Then adding on camouflage, dont shoot unless you see them see you. It does complicate things. Its not even those advanced things that mess them up, its the very basics.

Staying in view of each other to save each other, to save a friendly fast you either need to shoot or get shot at. When enemy is shooting your friendly you see tracers coming from behind the enemies exact tree, but because the tree or building corner is blocking his body you dont save your friendly. Either out of lack of confidence what shooting would do in this situation or selfishness without awareness that enemy is currently shooting your friendly.

Some or none dont even try to put enemy just out of angle to snap bullets over their head or next to enemy. Its frustrating, either people dont understand it, dont want to try it or dont see its value. Everytime an enemy shoots its likely at a friendly, you see the cover enemy is shooting from behind but just because they dont see the enemies body to shoot they dont even fire, they just look. They take so much time trying to get into angle, sit still, aim then mentally confirm aim, sometimes they just sit still watching that muzzle flash/tracer source coming out of cover.

Me, I just start shooting to direction of sound or tracer, I dont need to see enemy to effect them. Nobody needs to see enemy, if the enemy gun goes quiet it means i shut them up for at least a second. I do this for people all the time when they get shot at the second enemy starts shooting, but nobody does this for me because Call Of Duty mindset, they are mentally trained to see the enemy before shooting. Its retarded. Its why I started teaching pre-fire.

If im minimizing my exposure, then they stand right behind me casually like a casual player, like they need the sniper we don't know about yet to shoot when to take cover. "yeah this game has snipers. why are you following and standing behind me after i said '1 man per cover'? *kick from squad*". Not 1 man per cover, not even taking cover, just following and standing behind me ruining my experience after I gave clear instructions without stuttering. Which is always even if there is nothing at all.

Being seen running into spot somebody is hidden because they dont know how to actually follow somebody. They will gladly fire past your head not caring how you feel, but they dont tolerate it for one second themselves, its just they wait longer to say something either until shot in back of head by friendly or annoyed.

Somebody tries to reach past my head with bullets because they are greedy for a kill, lazy to get their own angle, wait their turn for me to reload and they mess it up for me right when things start happening after long time of boredom. What is the point of all that waiting if they ruin it? They kill me, get me mad un-focused, they do everything wrong in close proximity to my body. They are the one to mess it up, which ruins my fun that I waited for and have more experience dealing with. That type of friendly ruins it, meaning once my focus is shifted to dealing with them in a firefight, because they dont understand "stop" and "no".

Frequently i have to stop what im doing, fighting, shooting and moving to tell the retard to stop shooting past my head, standing behind me in general. Thats right when enemy comes in, me stopping moving is what gets me killed, because these people need to be told something with eye contact in a video game. They dont listen unless you stop everything for their mentally slow ass to tell them again, eye to eye in a video game. I already shouted it out in local, said it at the start, said it as the terrain changed to the new tactic. 1 man per window, per cover. They are so dumb they follow me to the point that all i need to do is turn around and tell them before i get to the next window. It could happen at 3 different windows before I say something.

They will stop shooting past my head, but shoot past somebody elses head. They dont get it, they think other people are ok with that. I move around so much in fights that they start again shooting past my head not realizing its me again, thats the problem, you arent supposed to shoot past anybodies head. Not just the pissed off ones. They arent even going for kills, they are just suppressing same as me trying to reach the gun around me. What I step left and right, not sitting still when i shoot and they are reaching past my head. So as humans in games and real life we cant strafe targets because people are dumb? They dont get it, you dont shoot past any friendlies head or body.
Old 2021-10-13, 18:21   #75
Brotherscompany

Grump lm sry how is this anything related to the topic? Stop spamming your lines of text about "PR gameplay"
Brotherscompany is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-14, 02:42   #76
Grump/Gump.45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brotherscompany View Post
Grump lm sry how is this anything related to the topic? Stop spamming your lines of text about "PR gameplay"
This whole topic of "more servers" is pointless. Unless its just more places to migrate to, or a Falklands VW server full time to attract more players. Theres only 100 English server players on at a given time. Rarely HOG will have 100, then U777 will have like 20 at the same time. Then the DIVSUL server will have 20-100.

My response was to Willy's thing about teaching people, the frustrations and methods. Things like playing dead, HALO jumping into Falklands enemy main (which is a precursor to a new naval game mode), using camouflage together and listening to footsteps to stalk enemy. The pre-firing tactics, heavy suppression. These skills bring lots of new players to game, gives them something to try.
Old 2021-10-14, 12:31   #77
PatrickLA_CA
Supporting Member

You've got to understand that PR is what now, 16 - 17 years old on a game engine that most "fresh" players would consider ancient based on the way it looks. That's never been a problem for me and I'm sure anyone else still playing PR, but you should accept the fact that PR won't ever be hyped anymore and flocks of new players won't jump in.

Most new players come either from direct recommendation by a friend or if they stumble upon PR and decide to give it a try. It is the second type of player that is highly unlikely to stick around, especially if they jump in the game directly without knowing what is going on. That is where point 1 from Nate's post needs to come in effect and ease the onboarding for clueless new players. I know that, I was one, but I think when I joined the community was a lot more helpful and that is why I stuck around with PR.

PR's gameplay and rules are what makes PR unique. I like Squad as well but I've never been able to enjoy it as much as PR mostly because the rules are a lot different, tipped towards the casual shooter angle but that is why Squad has a lot less steeper learning curve.

If we want to play a game like PR, we have to accept it has a steep learning curve and the only thing that can be done about it is easing the onboarding process and the difficult part: us players not being toxic and elitist towards new and unskilled players.

In-game: Cobra-PR
PatrickLA_CA is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-14, 17:49   #78
SemlerPDX
PR Server License Administrator

Dayum, Grump.... 8000 characters in 14 paragraphs in your two large replies... 5+ minutes reading time at 8th grade level -- all thorough and salient points on topic of 'We Need More Servers', I assume. If writing is your thing, humbly suggesting reviewing your writings greater than 1000 words just to help readability and evaluate if all those things need to be said in a reply to remain on point - just saying: less is more, bro...

SemlerPDX is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-15, 07:09   #79
[R-CON]​Chuva_RD
PR:BF2 Contributor
PR Server License Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemlerPDX View Post
If writing is your thing, humbly suggesting reviewing your writings greater than 1000 words just to help readability [/IMG]
That you die under the weight of 8k words is his whole point
Chuva_RD is offline Reply With Quote