project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Factions > Modelling & Animations
13 Jul 2020, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Modelling & Animations Everything but Static Objects

Old 2013-08-28, 19:16   #1
M_Striker

Default [Weapon] Geballte Ladung 3kg [WIP](WW2)

Hey there, so after Lucky.boy posted about tasks for the Project Normandy mod I decided I would give one of the easier models a try as I'm still very much a noob at modelling. As a result I picked the Gebalte Ladung 3kg and would really love feedback on it.

Again, I'm still finding my way around 3dsmax and the countless tutorials I've watched can only do so much. I'm finding I need direct criticism and experience to really get better!

This is the reference I've been mainly using

Anyways, on to the model.

What I've got so far:

Main Body with Edged Faces

unsmoothed:

smoothed:

Clamp Smoothed and Unsmoothed

Here are the parts I'm concerned about:

Not sure if that's a bad thing or nothing to worry about.

Here's an Edged Faced Shot of above

I feel like the tip of the arc is too pointy but I'm having a bit of trouble flattening it out.

Regarding optimization I have two versions of this model in the scene. One where I deleted a ton of edges that I believe to be unneeded and one where I left them in. When I smoothed out the two I got a slight difference

So if you notice where I highlighted there's a lighting difference between them. Hard to explain but I hope the picture will show it well. I'm not sure if that's anything to be concerned about. The one on the right has more edges in the mesh. Here's an edged face shot:

Ah and one more question, as far as keeping different parts of the model separate for now, what are the protocols regarding that? The clamp, handle, and bolts are all separate now, but do those need to be eventually connected to the mesh?

That's it for now. I'm working on making the handle fit better and look better, then I'll take a look at modelling the holes where the fuse goes into. In addition, I am using 3ds max 2012. I know it's definitely not ideal as the model will need to be backported but I can't get access to 3ds max 9.

Last edited by M_Striker; 2013-08-28 at 19:36..
Old 2013-08-28, 19:29   #2
Antol
Default Re: [Weapon] Geballte Ladung 3kg [WIP]

When paste, copy direct link, not basic.

like this
Ref:

To see how its done choose quote of my post.

Pls delete this when first post will be fixed
Antol is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-28, 20:50   #3
Spush
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Striker View Post
You have triangles there, cut it into quads. Especially if you're going to subdivide it. When subdivision modeling you have to work in quads, otherwise most triangles will give you errors.

Spush is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-29, 10:08   #4
Doc.Pock

edit: made the shape myself to show you the edge flow.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  
Last edited by Doc.Pock; 2013-08-29 at 11:08..
Old 2013-08-29, 14:28   #5
M_Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc.Pock View Post
edit: made the shape myself to show you the edge flow.
Yeah that's more or less the same edge flow I ended up with after Spush's comment. Thanks for the tips guys

M_Striker is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-29, 14:53   #6
AquaticPenguin

Here's how I tend to do sharp edges with only quads.
Attached Thumbnails
topology2.jpg  
AquaticPenguin is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-30, 13:45   #7
Gracler

I'm fairly new to modeling myself, but I found out so far that making very low poly models is a must for bf2 modeling.

So anything that define the contour shape of your objects is of-course necessary but any dents or concave forms should be placed in a "bump map" if they are not significant. However the handle part is too significant and a part of the contour, to be placed in a bump map I recon so it is looking quite alright the way it is going.

the 2 horizontal "rings" at the "3 KG" area seems unnecessary to me though. (edit: just noticed your low poly version don't have them so your on track )

When the texture is applied it going to look really nice Jerry cans ftw.
Last edited by Gracler; 2013-08-30 at 13:56..
Old 2013-08-30, 13:58   #8
Doc.Pock

also that extrude you have on the bottom edge, you can have it in the normal map too. no need for geo there
Doc.Pock is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-30, 18:07   #9
M_Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracler View Post
I'm fairly new to modeling myself, but I found out so far that making very low poly models is a must for bf2 modeling.

So anything that define the contour shape of your objects is of-course necessary but any dents or concave forms should be placed in a "bump map" if they are not significant. However the handle part is too significant and a part of the contour, to be placed in a bump map I recon so it is looking quite alright the way it is going.

the 2 horizontal "rings" at the "3 KG" area seems unnecessary to me though. (edit: just noticed your low poly version don't have them so your on track )

When the texture is applied it going to look really nice Jerry cans ftw.
Really, so this hole on the right is completely unneeded then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc.Pock View Post
also that extrude you have on the bottom edge, you can have it in the normal map too. no need for geo there
Really? How does that work? Is it just an illusion to extrude it? Again I'm new to all this and even more so to the texturing aspect of it all.

M_Striker is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-30, 18:23   #10
Doc.Pock

yeah. normal maps change teh way light bounces off of a mesh, altering the visuals.

read this

NormalMap - Polycount Wiki
Doc.Pock is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
3kg, geballte, ladung, weapon, wip, wipww2