project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
22 Nov 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

Old 2009-02-07, 23:01   #11
McBumLuv

Default Re: My Comparative Essay on Rome and America's developement as empires.

Yea, I think I meant to say widely accepted, though it never helps when you're finishing the essay at 1:00 am the day of

Thanks for the giving me the hard truth though, because I haven't been told any of these things. Also, I should probably have added that these are under a Canadian perspective and for a Canadian audience, so that also probably leads to a few differences when I generalize with peoples view points, which I should avoid doing of course, unless I can provide statistics.

McBumLuv is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-08, 01:51   #12
lonelyjew

It's good for a highschool paper, if you like that sort of thing you'll probably find it a lot more enjoyable in college where you'd be on a topic far more specific that didn't allow for broad generalizations like you were forced to do. At first I didn't like the idea of this, it is easier to do a broad analysis, but reading this paper reminds me of why. It's hard to prove anything conclusively on something like comparing the Roman Empire to the American "Empire" without dozens, if not hundreds, of pages of work; there are just too many elements to it.

I forgot wikipedia was allowed for you guys, if I cited it in one of my papers I'd get my head torn off.

Thanks luizinhuu for the find

People are hopelessly ignorant of their own ignorance.
-Me
lonelyjew is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-08, 01:54   #13
McBumLuv

I know I didn't actually cite anything off it, but I did refer to it, and I needed some more links.

Old 2009-02-08, 08:28   #14
Engineer

Sorry for a bit off topic, but that map is...uh... It looks like every country that some US officer has gone off to holiday get's a pink color.

The red ones I could believe, because there are NATO countries involved.. But I'd remove the pink color completely out from it.
Engineer is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-08, 08:53   #15
Cobhris

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLuv View Post
When I say that the empire is on the decline, I speak out of my opinion (Which is what an essay is of course), but I mean in the sense that the economy is currently going downhill, and is most likely going into a depression. America spends the more money on it's army than any other nation in the world, and I believe its military budget will decline along with the rest of its economy. If it doesn't, then it would just lengthen the economic failure at the very least. Though when I say it's empire is on the decline, I don't mean to say that it will suffer any barbarian sackings or split like the Roman empire did, but that it just won't hold the same great power and influence over the world as it did. It will still be one of the biggest countries in the world, only that it won't have an absolute say in world politics.
Despite the huge sum of money that we spend on the military, it's still only 4% of GDP. You have to put the spending in perspective with the money available.

The Soviets may have only gotten as far as East Germany, but they took the rest of the continent without firing a single shot.

NObama 2012!
Cobhris is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-08, 09:06   #16
Expendable Grunt

Send a message via ICQ to Expendable Grunt Send a message via AIM to Expendable Grunt Send a message via MSN to Expendable Grunt Send a message via Yahoo to Expendable Grunt

We get it. Americans are evil. Can I go back to feeling good about getting up in the morning now?

M.

Former [DM] captain.

The fact that people are poor or discriminated against doesn't necessarily endow them with any special qualities of justice, nobility, charity or compassion. - Saul Alinsky
Expendable Grunt is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-08, 09:45   #17
Chuc
Retired PR Developer

Send a message via MSN to Chuc

Avoid to great lengths, to cite wikipedia as a source.. sure the information may be correct, but its integrity can never be verified.

Personal Folio - http://www.studioash.net
Chuc is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-08, 10:07   #18
Kruder

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLuv View Post
Well, due to Masterceo's demand that I post it on IRC, and the fact that it doesn't totally suck, I'll just post my Latin class essay detailing many of the similarities between Rome and America. I wish I had started on it earlier, because there was more I'd have liked to include, but I think there's enough in it. Tell me how you like it.

[/SIZE]

Hey you might also wanna check Zbignew Brezinski's(hope didnt mispelled) book, "Grand Chessboard",which has chapter dedicated to similarities between Romans and USA.It is the first chapter,so if you happen to find the book on a bookstore you might wanna take a look,cheapest way

also Noam Chomsky has articles and speeches about the subject.

P.S:Brezinski,one of the architects of post cold war US international politics,cofounder of neocon shit etc.In other words,he was highly influential intellectual.

I mispelled of course:its Zbigniew Brzezinski.
Last edited by Kruder; 2009-02-08 at 10:26..
Old 2009-02-08, 18:57   #19
McBumLuv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expendable Grunt View Post
We get it. Americans are evil. Can I go back to feeling good about getting up in the morning now?

M.
Nah, i don't think that, in fact I believe that many things that are good in the world have originated from American idealism and the fact that it was powerful enough to propagate these values. Democracy, for instance, wasn't invented by America, but with so great a country using it has been a beacon of light and a great influence on many other states. Nothing's perfect, however, but to be content with serious downfalls is counter productive, especially when talking about the most powerful country in the world.

I don't think the US will disappear into nothingness, but I don't think it will hold the same power it once had. The US has by far the biggest military, but that's nothing if they can't compare to other countries with education, the economy, or overall well being of its people, which have all been on the decline. That's my opinion at least, though we can only see how big the economic failure's impact will be.

Old 2019-10-03, 19:36   #20
SemlerPDX
PR Server License Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashwelin View Post
I can recommend a site...Generally speaking, you can order all academic writing types from this site, including essays, papers, case studies, dissertations, thesis and book reviews.
Ten years late, brother.

(see date of OP/replies)

SemlerPDX is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
america, comparative, developement, empires, essay, rome