project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
17 Nov 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 2018-09-23, 11:02   #1
B2P1

Default Add separate SPG emplacement

Could it be possible to just create a separate SPG emplacement that has sandbags under it's back legs so that it has more depression?

This would make the SPG so much more usable because in the current situation it's useless to place one on any elevated position or building.

Also it's advantageous of using anti tank weapons like the SPG from elevated positions because that way you have more chance of striking the top armor of vehicles.

In my honest opinion even a small addition like this can have a nice fresh and welcome influence to the insurgency game mode.
B2P1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-24, 20:43   #2
GAJAN

Default Re: Add separate SPG emplacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2P1 View Post
Also it's advantageous of using anti tank weapons like the SPG from elevated positions because that way you have more chance of striking a top armour of armored vehicles
I must say that that is way how it has to be used. In Syria there is few videos which they show rebels on top of the building hitting tanks on the ground. And it will be nice if there is 2 spgs per fob.
GAJAN is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-26, 05:25   #3
B2P1

I'm not saying you should be able to place both tho. Just one or the other.
B2P1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-26, 14:16   #4
parch
Supporting Member

I would very much like better angles with SPG and this sounds like okay idea.
Of course it would be best if elevation could be controlled in similar way as turning, but I think animating it would cause problems.
I also strongly believe that the turning rate with A & D should be increased. It's only around 60kg with tripod, so irl it should be possible to pick it up and turn around relatively fast. Right now stationary SPGs are near useless.

parch is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-27, 20:30   #5
[R-DEV]​Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parch View Post
Of course it would be best if elevation could be controlled in similar way as turning, but I think animating it would cause problems.
That might be possible, but would be tricky if it is. Would require modifying the export scene at the very least which is quite a bit of rework.

Quote:
I also strongly believe that the turning rate with A & D should be increased. It's only around 60kg with tripod, so irl it should be possible to pick it up and turn around relatively fast. Right now stationary SPGs are near useless.
In r/l it is manned by multiple people who would help pick it up, carry and also reload it etc. We have toyed with the idea of adding a second seat to the SPG-9, where the second seat would have full control over rotating it (not the basic aiming with the mouse), but at a much faster speed than it is currently.

This wouldn't mean you would have to have a second person in order to turn it, you could switch seats and turn it yourself, but at the cost of having the delay before firing after you switch back again. But with two crew you could quickly turn it and fire soon after, but unlikely that anyone else would want to sit in just to turn it for long unless there was a high threat level for it to be used in.

Small issue with this is people could troll the gunner by jumping in the second seat and just turn the launcher just to piss off the gunner. Luckily there aren't many people in the community that would do this but still something to consider.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-27, 22:16   #6
[R-CON]​mectus11
PR:BF2 Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
Luckily there aren't many people in the community that would do this but still something to consider.
Unfortunately, there are.

mectus11 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-27, 23:22   #7
parch
Supporting Member

Quote:
In r/l it is manned by multiple people who would help pick it up, carry and also reload it etc. We have toyed with the idea of adding a second seat to the SPG-9, where the second seat would have full control over rotating it (not the basic aiming with the mouse), but at a much faster speed than it is currently.
Thank you for your comment, Rhino. I understand your reasoning with SPG being manned by two people, but I believe this is one of those instances where gameplay should take priority over realism. Right now we have a potentially really cool emplacement that is being rarely used. If we were able to fetch data about number of kills with stationary SPG-9 across all servers, I am convinced that we would come to conclusion that it should be improved in some way.
Adding second person to improve turning rate is a potential solution, but without improved vertical angles it doesn't justify involving additional person that could have way more fun doing basically anything else. Also, sadly, mectus is right.

parch is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-28, 00:01   #8
[R-DEV]​Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Thank you for your comment, Rhino. I understand your reasoning with SPG being manned by two people, but I believe this is one of those instances where gameplay should take priority over realism. Right now we have a potentially really cool emplacement that is being rarely used. If we were able to fetch data about number of kills with stationary SPG-9 across all servers, I am convinced that we would come to conclusion that it should be improved in some way.

Well if we were going for mirror balance we would give the insurgents etc an ATGM like other factions (some can even argue insurgents do use them) but the point of the SPG-9 is to not be as good as an ATGM as insurgents are asymmetrically balanced.

I'm also not sure you have understood me totally.

You would not necessarily need a second person to turn the mounting, you can switch seats and quickly turn it yourself, but then have to suffer the "warmup" penalty of switching back to the main seat before you can fire the weapon again, but overall would be much quicker to turn and fire on the target than it is now since the turn rate would be pretty quick. The current turn rate takes into account the fact the guy would have to get off the weapon, pick it up, turn it, adjust the legs etc and then hop back into a firing position, where having it as a second seat would simulate that more accurately.
Just you also have the option of crewing up with someone to more quickly turn the weapon and fire, although since it wouldn't account for having to get back up and sit down again etc it would be faster than in r/l but that's not a big issue.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-30, 11:04   #9
waldov

Quote:
That might be possible, but would be tricky if it is. Would require modifying the export scene at the very least which is quite a bit of rework.

This wouldn't mean you would have to have a second person in order to turn it, you could switch seats and turn it yourself, but at the cost of having the delay before firing after you switch back again. But with two crew you could quickly turn it and fire soon after, but unlikely that anyone else would want to sit in just to turn it for long unless there was a high threat level for it to be used in.

Small issue with this is people could troll the gunner by jumping in the second seat and just turn the launcher just to piss off the gunner. Luckily there aren't many people in the community that would do this but still something to consider.
A compromise of an extra 5 or 10 degrees de-elevation could be a simple workaround possibly? Deploying SPG-9's from elevated positions IRL is far from rare or impractical and with the far more restricted visual and practical engagement distances of the BF2 engine a limited 10 degree's de-elevation becomes far more restrictive for deploying the SPG-9 then it should be.

waldov is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-30, 16:35   #10
LimitJK

Quote:
Well if we were going for mirror balance we would give the insurgents etc an ATGM like other factions (some can even argue insurgents do use them) but the point of the SPG-9 is to not be as good as an ATGM as insurgents are asymmetrically balanced.
the asymmetrical balance is already given by the SPG being unguided and without thermal or good optics.

just about double the speed of the A/D rotation and it is still slower then ATGMs.

LimitJK is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
add, emplacement, separate, spg