project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
27 Jul 2021, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2017-12-14, 06:01   #71
Bluedrake42
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Default Re: Worth To Get Back Into The Game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
I don't think you know what you're asking for.
I don't think you know what I'm asking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
lol, you're blaming us (the PR:BF2 guys), for something that we had nothing to do with.

I think what your failing to understand that PR2, PR:ARAM etc where totally separate projects, which was made that way by people like TwistedHelix, who refused to even work with the rest of the PR team and shut everything away and is also why hardly any of the work survives from that project, as when it burnt down as you put it, all that work burnt down with it.

lol you think we wanted it setup like that? We, the PR:BF2 guys, where totally against how that was done, but TwistedHelix was the main driving force of having everything totally separated and with PR2, PR:ARAM etc under his control.
And now he is gone. So what is stopping you from trying it again a new and different way.

Quote:
That is hardly it. PR:BF2 had totally unique gameplay, where most other BF2 mods, where pretty much copies of the vBF2 gameplay, with new content. That is why PR survived and the others did not, as people who were interested in vBF2 style gameplay, didn't want to play on non-ranked servers even if it meant playing with new content, unless it was SP games.
You're missing the point. You keep getting tunnel vision with "we survived because of our unique gameplay." Yes okay, but why did "your unique gameplay" outclass everyone else's unique gameplay?

Short answer, no one could have called that. It was a huge stroke of both talent and luck, and if you want to stack the cards to better the odds of that happening again, you need to create a controlled environment where you can catalyze that environment again... where multiple teams are openly able to experiment with new ideas and expansions... and the most successful of them are onboarded.

Quote:
Again, PR has no official branding. Also by the time a project was successful, it would be to late to transplant the "PR branding" onto it...
That's because you have no structure. You're saying this like its somehow impossible. Use a little imagination, and I guarantee you could find a process to make this possible.

You could make an official submission section. You could actually spend some time trademarking your damn trademark, and then use that as a better way to control branding decisions. You could make a contest.

Poke around in that imagination of yours, and figure it out. I could spit out 30 potential solutions off the top of my head.

Quote:
As I've said before, If you really want to make something in the same way PR succeeded, then you have to let something grow totally organically, with new branding, and totally no occasion to PR (one area where Squad went wrong IMO is emphasising a little too much that it was being made by "the PR Developers" and it being the "spiritual successor to PR", put far too much burden on the project, but they kinda had to do that for their Kickstarter campaign and would have totally had to change that if they where going to try and grow organically).
I am literally explaining to you how to do this successfully internally.

No you don't need new branding.

No you don't need to start separately from PR.

You have a roadmap to this laid out in front of you.

Quote:
If you really want to make something in the same way PR succeeded, then you have to let something grow totally organically, with new branding, and totally no occasion to PR
I think what frustrates me the most, is that you talk like somehow this is unheard of and impossible.

How the hell do you think Insurgency did it? New World Interactive has now released three games and a mod... all under the same community, and with the same LLC.

Yet you act like somehow doing this is inconceivable.

This is not impossible. What you all need to do is:

1. Get your accounts and crap together. Idk who tried to powerplay that shit away from you in the past, but just triage it and put together a plan of action to permanently re-consolidate it in a way that all the remaining controlling parties agree to (and that can't be lost again.)

2. Get your business and trademarking crap together. Once you have your accounts and systems consolidated, finally officially register Project Reality as a non-profit organization, and centralize your contracts, trademarks, and otherwise under a single entity... and with a properly dynamic board.

3. Brainstorm a properly managed program for community content and software submissions for "official" Project Reality content, obviously curated by a board, and immortalized by your newly drafted organization's non-profit non-commercial intellectual property assignment agreements. This way you can have a centralized flow of new ideas, IP, and software "pitches" that no longer can usurped by a single member... only official software aggregation curated by a board... and maintained in neutral permanent repositories.

4. Promote and open up this new submission pipeline, and drive as much traffic through it as you can... while simultaneously training as many of your community members as possible in the relevant skills the organization is interested in developing... in the hopes that the people you train will commit and contribute to your core community submission pipeline.

Do that.

Or don't.

But don't tell me "it isn't possible" because that's absurd.

Bluedrake42 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-14, 06:25   #72
Heavy Death

Why all this smartassing from BD all of a sudden?

Heavy Death is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-14, 09:17   #73
HOLLYWOODY
Banned

The game is so good because of us. We all want to go on the mission together.
HOLLYWOODY is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-14, 16:50   #74
[R-DEV]​w0lf3k
PR:BF2 Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedrake42 View Post
while simultaneously training as many of your community members as possible in the relevant skills the organization is interested in developing...
I'm ready to explain* how to create or/and export animations(1p,3p) for BF2:PR, but show me those members you talking about that ready to spend all their free time learning that stuff? You saying such things like there tons of volunteers...

*You cant training other people in animations, modelling or mapping. Atleast its not worked for me. Best teacher is practice, all what others can do for you is show you tools, process and answers if you have questions. All of this you can find in modding section.
Also in my opinion, skill factor is not so much important, you can always improve yourself during development process, but ability to finish your project - thats highest value of developer. This is maybe hardest stuff you need to learn by yourself and actually nobody cant help you with it.

Quote:
The tools and process of contribution for the Project Reality community haven't been properly opened or maintained in a way that effectively incentivizes contribution.
What tools exactly is closed for community?
Quote:
There is no clean, or unbiased method to contributing to the community... and I think that is an issue.
Where is DEVs biased to contributors?
w0lf3k is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-14, 17:10   #75
schakal811

Most PR players are already overwhelmed by playing the game, they dont turn into developer over night. Btw bluedraek how is harsh doorstep going? You should be finished by now since your whole community is working on it.
schakal811 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-14, 21:32   #76
Filamu
Supporting Member

Quote:
You're missing the point. You keep getting tunnel vision with "we survived because of our unique gameplay." Yes okay, but why did "your unique gameplay" outclass everyone else's unique gameplay?

Short answer, no one could have called that. It was a huge stroke of both talent and luck,
Sure, it was all luck. Point me to the similar mod from 2007 with 3 (?) new game modes such as convoy, insurgency, counterattack, and the great AAS. Including more accurate guns opening long range firefights, destructible buildings, special spawnpoints, buildable assets, parachute based maps, 4K maps, 2-manned assets, long asset spawn points,limited kits, some great new maps and general assets.

The early versions of PR was different from other mods at the time. There is a reason why it is the one many of us played.
Filamu is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-15, 03:03   #77
DogACTUAL

BD makes some really good points, the tutorials could use some big streamlining, to make getting into modding easier and more attractive, the modding section also could use some more exposure outside the forums.

Btw is a transition to the BF2142 engine a realistic undertaking?
DogACTUAL is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-15, 03:51   #78
bromley

I dont think you guys are coming to terms with reality.

This mod is for a game that is 12 years old. Project reality is ancient, any time I have tried to get someone to play the game they are turned off by the graphics and ancient gameplay and engine. The reason we like Pr is because we have been playing it for a long time and have seen it evolve and look past its age. The reality is that an influx of new players just isn't going to happen. Starting to play a game for the first time that is 10 years old just is not fun

It is like any time your friend gets you to play a game that is their favorite but is like 7 years old, and you try it and dont like it because of its age and old feel, same thing for PR.

PR is a dying game and no amount of publicity or anything is going to change that.
bromley is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-15, 05:17   #79
HOLLYWOODY
Banned

bromley is one of them.

Valiant effort. Now please cease and desist.
HOLLYWOODY is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-15, 09:31   #80
assetruler69
PR Server License Administrator

I don't really get what BlueDrake wants. It's either in his phrasing or his thoughts that's something wrong(or maybe in my engrish).

Is he trying to make current PRM team to create another game for him or is he trying to make all the sources of PRM to be accessible by the "community"(him)?
assetruler69 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
back, game, worth