project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
27 Jul 2021, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Old 2017-08-12, 16:59   #101
[R-DEV]​Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: [WIP] [Weapon] M2 Carl Gustaf

You need to enable some Max Padding in the render settings for decent results and you've still got you make your UVs proper 2:1 UVs by taking up the whole UV area and there isn't much point doing any high-rez baking until then.

I would suggest watching my entire tut, even if you know most of it, still best to watch it all so you don't miss the bits you don't know.

Oh and also you will want to bake the rear breech of the weapon far away from the main mesh so neither cast a significant shadow on each other so when it's opened up during the reload animation the faces aren't all black from them being on top of each other like they are now.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-12, 18:20   #102
[R-DEV]​w0lf3k

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
You need to enable some Max Padding in the render settings for decent results
Yea, sorry, i forgot to change image format. Now with .png padding(2) works.

Quote:
I would suggest watching my entire tut, even if you know most of it, still best to watch it all so you don't miss the bits you don't know.
Yea, watch it again and it helps me to get seamless AO
Quote:
you've still got you make your UVs proper 2:1 UVs by taking up the whole UV area and there isn't much point doing any high-rez baking until then.
I've done all your advices, it fits perfect.

Quote:
Oh and also you will want to bake the rear breech of the weapon far away from the main mesh so neither cast a significant shadow on each other so when it's opened up during the reload animation the faces aren't all black from them being on top of each other like they are now.
I need to do same with scope if we will have ironsight version?
w0lf3k is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-12, 19:52   #103
[R-DEV]​Rhino
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by w0lf3k View Post
I need to do same with scope if we will have ironsight version?
Ye you don't want shadow from the scope for the Iron Sight version.

Old 2017-08-13, 14:16   #104
[R-DEV]​w0lf3k

I sent you mesh with new AO.
Old 2017-08-18, 00:18   #105
[R-DEV]​Rhino
Supporting Member

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you on this, been busy. Hopefully be able to look at this next week.

Old 2017-08-19, 04:32   #106
[R-DEV]​Rhino
Supporting Member

Right since I can't sleep taking a look at this now.

First of all your UVs are still not setup properly for 2:1 UVs, they need to take up the entire UV square otherwise basically you're saying 1/2 of the texture isn't being used:

Should look like this:

When then when you apply a 2:1 texture to it, looks like this:

For example, if you look at the Mirages Textures (first 2:1 texture I can think of, not a very good example but best I have to hand), you will see its 2:1 texture looks like so:

And if you look at its (really bad) UVs you can see it looks like so without the texture applied:

But when we apply its texture then the UVs become un-squished and make sense:

You really need to make this change as per my last post before you do any more baking, even if they are just baking tests since any you do will be useless or pretty meaningless as the UVs will change.

Moving on, while I know packing the scope UVs into that little space left was a hard challenge and some bits were inevitably going to be smaller rez than the main parts of the model, some bits are just too low rez right now and I think you can do better looking at it in 3D. Mainly looking at the open scope cap, scope front and other bits that are right in front of the player you can see a much lower rez than even the main tube of the weapon which is further away and not square in front of the player like these bits, and they really need to be scaled up.

First of all you can make some savings by overlapping some common bits. For starters, both scope caps right now have unique textures where they could easily use the same texture, especially since you are only really going to see the inside of the rear cap, and the backside of the front cap, meaning you can get away with the other two using each others textures.

Also speaking of these caps, do you have any refs with them? I'm failing to see any refs with them and I think it may be worth removing them, not only to save tris and UV space, but also because they are going to look odd ingame unless animated really well.

Next as I mentioned before, the inside of the scope just needs to be a flat black and you can scale this down to use just 1px of texture even, since if you look side on at a scope, you will not see any detail inside, all you will see is the reflection on the glass until you start looking straight down to the other end where you will then see right though, with the zoom too:

Speaking of which, you also need to model the glass for the lens on the front side of the scope, just the front side, don't bother with the back side or with modelling glass for the far side of the scope either, and it doesn't need to be UVed to the main sheet either, will use a common scope glass texture and an ENVmap reflection texture on it too, but you do need to model it in

Next the back side of this bit doesn't need to be as high rez as the rest as it is unlikely to be seen at all, even with the caps removed since the iron sights are blocking its view and its facing away from the players view. Although I would re-UV the edges to be stitched to the sides so just the inner most face is detached and scaled down:

Anyways main areas I would focus on increasing their UV scale would be these bits which are either right in front of the player, or currently just too low rez, or both and if you remove those scope caps, make the inside of the scope takes up only a tiny, tiny bit of UV space somewhere out of the way and the other things I mentioned I don't think you will have an issue and can possibly scale up other bits too

Oh and one other thing, you need to also fix up your smoothing before doing an AO bake as otherwise, you will get hard shadows on each face which will only enforse the blockyness of the model, even after its been smoothed instead of the other way around:

Old 2017-08-19, 08:09   #107
[R-DEV]​w0lf3k

Quote:
Right since I can't sleep taking a look at this now.
First of all your UVs are still not setup properly for 2:1 UVs, they need to take up the entire UV square otherwise basically you're saying 1/2 of the texture isn't being used:
Ok i get it
Used this. But, i can delete them, yea.

*SG's right now is fixed, sidepins added, ironsight calibrated and AO rebaked in Substance panter, where i can fix it right on the model if needed. Also about new experimental tools :P I've tested, it exports well .bundlemesh and .baf.
Last edited by [R-DEV]w0lf3k; 2017-08-19 at 12:18.. Reason: *Forgot to mention :P
Old 2017-08-19, 14:35   #108
[R-DEV]​Rhino
Supporting Member

Cool. And as for exporting it with Max2017, it will be all down to you to do the exporting then.

Old 2017-08-19, 15:51   #109
[R-DEV]​w0lf3k

Sending you mesh with new UV, where scope scaled up and unseen parts scaled down.
Old 2017-08-19, 22:52   #110
[R-DEV]​Rhino
Supporting Member

Looks good, not sure about all your changes but definitely better.

But as I said before, these sides, which are still pretty visible and are now super low rez:

I would break off the side UV and stitch them to this one, being higher rez, and ideally, if you can find room, same with the other side too tbh so the seam isn't so easy to see:

All these bits could be packed a lot better. Some of the really small things are using up prime space and can fit into some of the empty bits around the other spots of the UV that aren't big enough to be used by anything significant, but can be used by the really small bits in here:

And ye, just generally try where you can to use the space a bit more efficiently

Keep up the good work thou!

Tags
carl, gustaf, m2 carl gustaf, m2 cg, weapon, wip