project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
20 Jun 2021, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2010-08-30, 04:12   #1
AurianTitan

Send a message via AIM to AurianTitan Send a message via MSN to AurianTitan
Exclamation Suppression Effect: What makes you withdraw?

Ok so, I'm asking a question that pertains to more of a psychological aspect. We know, that in all other games, suppression does not work AT ALL. If you're being shot at, you still, clearly, see your opponent shooting at you and you continue to shoot back; hoping that you'll hit him/her before he hits you first.

But on Project Reality, the development team came up with the nifty suppression effect that would distort your vision and hearing while being shot at (presumably from the sonic boom the bullets make while passing you).

The question is, does this suppression effect really makes you "withdraw"? I mean, you can still blindly shoot back and "hope" for a kill shot.

1: Do you think that since PR has a longer re-spawn time than other games, does that make you value your "life" more so you don't have to get transported back into position? (Or any other time consuming factor)

2: Is there a PR mentality that you received while playing this game, and you just subconsciously withdraw under fire?

3: How about that you depend much on seeing your enemy so if you're suppressed, you don't shoot back?

4: Do you want to save ammo and not waste it on blindly shooting?

5: Or do you think suppression allows for an opportunity for moving to a better position to take out the target before he suppresses you again?

6: Its not worth the engagement.

7: The PR deviation is difficult so its not worth trying.

8: You don't want to lose a ticket for the team... YOU'RE A TEAM PLAYER! :P

9: Other?

What makes you ACTUALLY withdraw while under fire?
Last edited by AurianTitan; 2010-08-30 at 04:32..
Old 2010-08-30, 04:20   #2
Foxxy

Default Re: Suppression Effect: What makes you withdraw?

Do you think that since PR has a longer re-spawn time than other games, does that make you value your "life" more so you don't have to get transported back into position?

A: PR really doesnt have that much of a long respawn time its the fact that theres a long waiting time as in waiting to be revived or walking with your squad to a certain area takes quite some time. It really does suck being dead or wounded

The PR deviation is difficult so its not worth trying.

True , When i lead squads i almost always tell my members "if the enemy has you zeroed in, then dont fire back your just going to get yourself and possibly the medic killed" in my observations thats how most people die. They see a enemy and they automatically have to fire back.

[TMP] FoxxyFrost
|TG-Irr| FoxxyFrost
|UO|FoxxyFrost
Foxxy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-30, 04:23   #3
karambaitos

Send a message via MSN to karambaitos

its not the sonic boom from the bullets its the bullets hitting near you -_-
1.not the respawn time as much as its the walking back to the fight time and the horror of
getting that death point on the board (at least for me)
2,3. People will try to shoot you while being supressed but if your far away and their
suppression effect is working they have no way of returning accurate fire if they are alone
4. you have 8 mags as rifleman you might as well use them ammo is easy to find since .9
5. it works the other way round one guy suppresses the other goes around to kill the enemy
6. ??????????
7. pr deviation is not difficult its not easy either it is in the middle, its just getting the hang of it
8. ?????

There is only one unforgivable lie That is the lie that says, This is the end, you are the conqueror, you have achieved it and now all that remains is to build walls higher and shelter behind them. Now, the lie says, the world is safe.? The Great Khan.

40k is deep like that.
karambaitos is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-30, 04:23   #4
gumball360

Right now, the suppression effect works pretty damn well. The only problem is what you mention: you can still try to shoot back. I think an interesting way to fill in that gap is to have your accuracy lowered dramatically when you are suppressed. This would mean that you'd still be able to fire back, but not fire effectively.
gumball360 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-30, 04:24   #5
Hunt3r

Dunno about you guys, if I get shot at and I think that they will probably win, I just find another way around, and close distance.

Hunt3r is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-30, 04:28   #6
AurianTitan

Send a message via AIM to AurianTitan Send a message via MSN to AurianTitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by karambaitos View Post
its not the sonic boom from the bullets its the bullets hitting near you -_-
1.not the respawn time as much as its the walking back to the fight time and the horror of
getting that death point on the board (at least for me)
2,3. People will try to shoot you while being supressed but if your far away and their
suppression effect is working they have no way of returning accurate fire if they are alone
4. you have 8 mags as rifleman you might as well use them ammo is easy to find since .9
5. it works the other way round one guy suppresses the other goes around to kill the enemy
6. ??????????
7. pr deviation is not difficult its not easy either it is in the middle, its just getting the hang of it
8. ?????
Yeah, you get suppressed according to the bullets hitting the ground because thats how the BF2/PR engine works. But to try to replicate the same realistic physics of engaging a firefight, the bullets break the sound barrier close enough to distort your senses.
AurianTitan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-30, 04:51   #7
karambaitos

Send a message via MSN to karambaitos

Quote:
Originally Posted by AurianTitan View Post
Yeah, you get suppressed according to the bullets hitting the ground because thats how the BF2/PR engine works. But to try to replicate the same realistic physics of engaging a firefight, the bullets break the sound barrier close enough to distort your senses.
could you source that please since i have a hard time believing that since a bullet is a small thing and doest create pressure wave big enough

There is only one unforgivable lie That is the lie that says, This is the end, you are the conqueror, you have achieved it and now all that remains is to build walls higher and shelter behind them. Now, the lie says, the world is safe.? The Great Khan.

40k is deep like that.
karambaitos is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-30, 04:53   #8
Conman51

Im not sure but i thought the suppression effect was tweaked to also activate when the bullets passed 5m from your body...but i have not noticed this, only when they hit the ground or a wall next to me

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Mark Twain

Conman51 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-30, 05:05   #9
Celestial1

The effects only try to make the "losing" players have a harder time to fight back. Only the player will make themselves withdraw.
I retreat individually pretty often, and I retreat my squad when I feel it will give us an advantage in coming back unexpectedly.

It takes experience and an understanding of combat. If you retreat, you can be giving yourself a huge advantage by constantly hitting them from an unexpected angle, or bringing them into advantageous territory, even if they are a much larger force than your own squad.

I try to keep my squads down to 4 players, partly because it leads to better communication but also because it makes you realize just how vulnerable you really are, making it more obvious when retreating is a good option.
Celestial1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-30, 05:27   #10
L4gi
Server Administrator (A-N)
PR Server License Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AurianTitan View Post
1: Do you think that since PR has a longer re-spawn time than other games, does that make you value your "life" more so you don't have to get transported back into position? (Or any other time consuming factor)

No. No need to get transported back if you dont die, medics are there for that reason. :P

2: Is there a PR mentality that you received while playing this game, and you just subconsciously withdraw under fire?

No. I dont withdraw.

3: How about that you depend much on seeing your enemy so if you're suppressed, you don't shoot back?

Dont need to see them. Shooting in the general direction helps a lot too.

4: Do you want to save ammo and not waste it on blindly shooting?

Nope. Fire away!

5: Or do you think suppression allows for an opportunity for moving to a better position to take out the target before he suppresses you again?

Just move back a meter, shoot the guy in the head.

6: Its not worth the engagement.

7: The PR deviation is difficult so its not worth trying.

8: You don't want to lose a ticket for the team... YOU'RE A TEAM PLAYER! :P

9: Other?

What makes you ACTUALLY withdraw while under fire?

Maybe a tank.
Answered a few of them. :P

L4gi is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
effect, makes, suppression, withdraw