project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support > Hardware & Custom Builds
24 Jan 2020, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Hardware & Custom Builds Discussion on Computer Hardware & Custom Builds

Old 2010-02-03, 23:32   #1
Rabbit

Default Which on is better between these 2 processors

I've googled this and couldn't find anything I was totally satisfied with. So I'll get right to the point. Why is the i5-650 prossessor(4MB Cache 3.20 GHz) better than the i7-870(8MB Cache.2.93GHz) and is it worth the $429 more than the i5?

edit: User was warned for "vague thread title". Please take the time to make clear titles for everyone's benefit.

Last edited by [R-MOD]Saobh; 2010-02-04 at 00:15..
Old 2010-02-03, 23:46   #2
Pariel
Default Re: Whats better

First of all, those are both LGA 1156 processors. I could be wrong, but I believe they have said they will not be producing future chips in this socket, but will be continuing to use the LGA 1366 socket. If that is in fact the case, I would suggest an i7-820 (honestly, I'd suggest it anyway).

Back to your original question:

The i7-870 has a larger L3 cache (8 Mb, versus the i5's 4 Mb), which means it will be able to carry out some tasks more rapidly.

Worth is solely up to you. Personally, I don't think the i7 or i5 series are worth my money, I'd rather get a relatively cheap Q6600 or something (which are no longer available new, but it's not like they're going to be dying any time soon).
Pariel is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-03, 23:48   #3
Smegburt_funkledink

What's better is a thread with a descriptive name. :/

[R-Div]Robbi "There's nothing more skanky than eating out of a tub of hummus with a screwdriver."
[R-DEV]Matrox "CHINAAAAAAA!!!"
Smegburt_funkledink is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-03, 23:53   #4
Rabbit

Well I need a knew desktop and I was making one at dell.com and I'm only trying tot spend at max about 1500. So any help and advice would be great.

Rabbit is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-04, 00:09   #5
Snares

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx View Post
Well I need a knew desktop and I was making one at dell.com and I'm only trying tot spend at max about 1500. So any help and advice would be great.
Yeah those are both LGA 1156...I would not spend the extra $429. Both processors are more than enough to handle any game for at least a few years; it will be the graphics card you will eventually have to upgrade.

IMO, the i5's are good processors for a cheap price. Also, I have not heard anything about Intel stopping support for them, but that is obviously a possibility.

Personally, with $1500 I would get a decent LGA 1366 motherboard and one of these: Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

You can overclock them tremendously, and OC'ing is just simply pressing a button anymore

For the videocard, the latest nVidia cards have just been revealed Techtree.com India > News > Hardware > First Nvidia GF100 Cards: GTX470, GTX 480 so if you like nVidia, I might hold off my purchase until they have been released.
Snares is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-04, 00:16   #6
[R-MOD]Saobh
Forum Moderator

Default Re: Which on is better between these 2 processors

thread retitled and moved to correct sub forum.

The only acceptable 'Lone Wolf' you'll be allowed to play : http://www.projectaon.org/en/Main/Home

Saobh is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-04, 00:29   #7
Rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snares View Post
Yeah those are both LGA 1156...I would not spend the extra $429. Both processors are more than enough to handle any game for at least a few years; it will be the graphics card you will eventually have to upgrade.

IMO, the i5's are good processors for a cheap price. Also, I have not heard anything about Intel stopping support for them, but that is obviously a possibility.

Personally, with $1500 I would get a decent LGA 1366 motherboard and one of these: Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

You can overclock them tremendously, and OC'ing is just simply pressing a button anymore

For the videocard, the latest nVidia cards have just been revealed Techtree.com India > News > Hardware > First Nvidia GF100 Cards: GTX470, GTX 480 so if you like nVidia, I might hold off my purchase until they have been released.
So is it mainly the hard drive, ram and video cards that matter for video games?

Not to mention I was reading the the reviews, I saw some negative reviews that It will not overclock with windows 7, do you know of any good processors that will?

Last edited by Rabbit; 2010-02-04 at 00:35..
Old 2010-02-04, 07:41   #8
Scot
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx View Post
So is it mainly the hard drive, ram and video cards that matter for video games?
Depends on the game really, for example, Battlefield Bad Company 2, people struggle to run on all high without a Quad Core, some games are more CPU dependant, some are more graphics card dependant.

Scot is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-04, 09:43   #9
General_J0k3r
Send a message via ICQ to General_J0k3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-COM]Scot View Post
Depends on the game really, for example, Battlefield Bad Company 2, people struggle to run on all high without a Quad Core, some games are more CPU dependant, some are more graphics card dependant.
this. plus the correlation between core frequency and performance is clear, but not that clear. architecture makes quite a difference.
General_J0k3r is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-04, 20:17   #10
Rabbit

So If I wanted to go with games like, bf2, pr2 and ARMA 2whats kinda of desktop would I need? (part wise)

Rabbit is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
processors