project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
24 Jun 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2023-12-01, 21:41   #21
[R-COM]ismaelassassin
Chilean Forces 1978 Faction Lead

ismaelassassin's Avatar
Default Re: PR: The Great War

maybe self-loading rifles for specialist kits instead for every squad?

ismaelassassin is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-02, 05:21   #22
dcm1
Default Re: PR: The Great War

Quote:
Originally Posted by ismaelassassin View Post
maybe self-loading rifles for specialist kits instead for every squad?
No. This is world war 1. Automatics should be rare and reserved for assault troops. It be better for balance and gameplay if the breacher/pointman equivalent is restricted to bolt actions only. Giving him a pistol primary, would just encourage lone wolfing(trust me it's the first thing I would do myself if given the option). Same with officer. Giving him a semi auto rifle will invalidate the team's standard bolt action rifle. Only one man should have access to a semi auto rifle in each squad. Again, It must not be the officer, as putting himself on the frontline and in danger, negates his intended role. Officer would be better served retaining a pistol or revolver for personal defense in close quarters situations. While retaining the teams standard rifle so he does not become a priority target.
dcm1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-02, 22:21   #23
[R-CON]​PotatoLord
PR:BF2 Contributor

PotatoLord's Avatar
Default Re: PR: The Great War

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multi View Post
Sure, feel free to share them
You'd have to design small and linear maps, like how the game Verdun did it, a 4x4 kilometer map would just not work given the nature of movement would be by foot only, trucks were a thing but only carried troops around in the backline not the front--because of this there will be no drivable terrain for trucks. Then there'd also be the issue of how to handle FOBs and logistics because of that, how will spawnpoints work after capturing a trench? You'd most likely have to add a spawnpoint behind each captured flag instead of relying on FOBs to be built by players.

I say this because even if you do nail out what kit gets what gun the maps and mechanics that would have to be made are just far far too ambitious in my opinion.

So I just am going to repeat that I REALLY caution against going forward with this project in particular since in my eyes it just wouldn't work. Hearing that your project is simply too ambitious is something everyone dreads hearing but egging you on when me and others (including devs) know full well this will probably never be completed even if you somehow created all required assets would be unethical.
PotatoLord is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-05, 16:04   #24
[R-CON]​Multi
PR:BF2 Contributor

Multi's Avatar
Default Re: PR: The Great War

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoLord View Post
You'd have to design small and linear maps, like how the game Verdun did it, a 4x4 kilometer map would just not work given the nature of movement would be by foot only, trucks were a thing but only carried troops around in the backline not the front--because of this there will be no drivable terrain for trucks. Then there'd also be the issue of how to handle FOBs and logistics because of that, how will spawnpoints work after capturing a trench? You'd most likely have to add a spawnpoint behind each captured flag instead of relying on FOBs to be built by players.

I say this because even if you do nail out what kit gets what gun the maps and mechanics that would have to be made are just far far too ambitious in my opinion.

So I just am going to repeat that I REALLY caution against going forward with this project in particular since in my eyes it just wouldn't work. Hearing that your project is simply too ambitious is something everyone dreads hearing but egging you on when me and others (including devs) know full well this will probably never be completed even if you somehow created all required assets would be unethical.
Well, I thought a 4km map was an requirement for a modded faction, but if an exception can be made for WW1, then great

In regards to vehicles, the plan is to follow the real historical trench lines, but add numerous wooden bridges to the trenches so vehicles can be allowed to manouver a little bit more easily

And also exaggerate the terrain a little bit so we have more hills and slopes in order to have hidden FOBs and not be exposed too much, not to mention that The Taking Of Courcelles Map does have a few forests and tree lines for concealment

So I don't know if it's really gonna be an issue, I feel that It will play exactly as normal PR, but way slower, more intense infantry fighting and more tricky vehicle manouvering and FOB positioning, but it's still possible

Also, I changed the faction design document, tell me what you think




"Supimos dar la vida por nuestras Malvinas, y sabremos dar muerte a quien pretenda arrebatarlas."
Multi is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-05, 16:14   #25
[R-COM]ismaelassassin
Chilean Forces 1978 Faction Lead

ismaelassassin's Avatar
Default Re: PR: The Great War

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcm1 View Post
No. This is world war 1. Automatics should be rare and reserved for assault troops.
dude, thats what im saying. spcialist kits are the ones you get from crates not spawning. those are rarer

ismaelassassin is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-08, 19:53   #26
dcm1
Default Re: PR: The Great War

Quote:
Originally Posted by ismaelassassin View Post
dude, thats what im saying. spcialist kits are the ones you get from crates not spawning. those are rarer
I disagree. You need atleast one guy in the squad who can spawn with some sort of automatic or rapid cycling primary weapon. But I'm not against having pure bolt-action vs bolt-action gameplay. I love an even playing field. It's when and where skill shines.


@multi
I love your passion bro. But maybe you should cut back on the unneeded and extraneous weapons. As much as I would love to have every single possible and practical ww1 weapon in PR:WW1. That's just not feasible. Keep it simple. You dont need(but want and so do I) so many alternative weapons on your first release.

Just a thought but I'd cut back the following guns;
Reichsrevolver
MG08/15(keep the madsen because many other teams can use it)
Karabiner 1888(dont you mean 1898?)
1892 Revolver
Hotchkiss 1909
Berthier(I'd much prefer an 8 round tube fed lebel over a 3 shot enbloc clip fed carbine)
RSC1917
Flamethrowers(this one pains me the most)

Keep it simple. In the future when PR:WW1 is more mature you could add those weapons.


@potatolord
If planting fobs is the problem. Then why not introduce some sort of 'mini-fob' something in between a rally and a regular fob. That can be built with rifleman ammo bags?
dcm1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-09, 01:18   #27
[R-CON]​Multi
PR:BF2 Contributor

Multi's Avatar
Default Re: PR: The Great War

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcm1 View Post

Just a thought but I'd cut back the following guns;
Reichsrevolver
MG08/15(keep the madsen because many other teams can use it)
Karabiner 1888(dont you mean 1898?)
1892 Revolver
Hotchkiss 1909
Berthier(I'd much prefer an 8 round tube fed lebel over a 3 shot enbloc clip fed carbine)
RSC1917
Flamethrowers(this one pains me the most)
It makes no sense to cut the MG08 considering we already have models for it and having no difference between auto-rifleman and Machine gunners is a bad idea, same with the other MG "cutting" suggestions

Also, the "Priority" tab on the weapons exists for a reason




"Supimos dar la vida por nuestras Malvinas, y sabremos dar muerte a quien pretenda arrebatarlas."
Multi is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-14, 03:08   #28
dcm1
Default Re: PR: The Great War

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multi View Post
It makes no sense to cut the MG08 considering we already have models for it and having no difference between auto-rifleman and Machine gunners is a bad idea, same with the other MG "cutting" suggestions

Also, the "Priority" tab on the weapons exists for a reason
I rescind my comment about the mg08/15. But I still believe that excessive and redundant weapons should be curtailed for the first release, so you can get something out the door ASAP. There is no need for more than one type of rifle, pistol and machine gun per faction.

I also disagree with giving every squad a machine gun. It's WW1 MGs should be reserved for only the machine gunner class proper. Because, I am in love with the idea of each faction having a unique type of 'Stormtrooper' kit. E.G. RSC1917 for the french, MP18 for the germans and an M1897 shotgun for the(hypothetical) americans.
dcm1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-14, 17:46   #29
[R-COM]ismaelassassin
Chilean Forces 1978 Faction Lead

ismaelassassin's Avatar
Default Re: PR: The Great War

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcm1 View Post
I rescind my comment about the mg08/15. But I still believe that excessive and redundant weapons should be curtailed for the first release, so you can get something out the door ASAP. There is no need for more than one type of rifle, pistol and machine gun per faction.

I also disagree with giving every squad a machine gun. It's WW1 MGs should be reserved for only the machine gunner class proper. Because, I am in love with the idea of each faction having a unique type of 'Stormtrooper' kit. E.G. RSC1917 for the french, MP18 for the germans and an M1897 shotgun for the(hypothetical) americans.
as someone has said. WW1 was marked by the introduction of the machinegun. There should definetly be 1 machinegun per squad while everyone else just has bolt action rifles and pistols. Stormtroopers would just have stuff like more granades

ismaelassassin is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2024-05-22, 11:04   #30
[R-CON]​Multi
PR:BF2 Contributor

Multi's Avatar
Default Re: PR: The Great War

Update on WW1 project

-Finishing up the Lebel rifle model
-Working on Luger P08 model
-Started the design for the 2KM map


Not a lot of visual stuff to showcase, however we've been making a lot of progress on investigation and references, after all, we want an accurate portrayal of these battles, including the defensive positions and trench systems, so a lot of investigation has been made and we are ready to start the mapping process.

Progress is slow but we are still working on the project




"Supimos dar la vida por nuestras Malvinas, y sabremos dar muerte a quien pretenda arrebatarlas."
Multi is offline Reply With Quote
Reply


Tags
ww1
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 07:42.