project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Factions > Modelling & Animations
22 Feb 2020, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Modelling & Animations Everything but Static Objects

Old 2013-09-06, 21:34   #31
[R-CON]​lucky.BOY
PR:BF2 Contributor
Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to lucky.BOY
Default Re: [Weapon] Geballte Ladung 3kg [WIP]

Looking great!

Yeah, the edges could be softer, wont be really noticable on the bake now i fear.

regarding the lowpoly fuse

The larger parts need more sides then the smaller parts. And the large part here does really need more sides, it needs to apear cylindrical as it will be right in your face in the anim.

lucky.BOY is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-07, 09:44   #32
M_Striker

Thanks for the tips lucky, I exaggerated the edges a bit more and fixed the fuse. Let me know if you need more screens showing different things or whatnot.

M_Striker is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-07, 09:48   #33
Doc.Pock

your edges on the hipoly case seem very flat. like if you chamfered with one iteration and then added supports in. can you show your cage maybe?
Doc.Pock is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-07, 18:42   #34
M_Striker

Yeah I did exactly that. I guess I misunderstood what smoother meant. Do corners need to be rounded as opposed to flattened?

Old 2013-09-07, 19:23   #35
M_Striker

Redid the edges to smooth them out more.

Old 2013-09-07, 21:24   #36
Doc.Pock

Dont use bevel fpr your hipoly edge definition. Its a destructive workflow and shoukd be avoided. Just add support loops in. The way catmull-clarke subd works makes that kind of geo smooth into a pwrfect corner

Edit. I see you dont have the hole in your lowpoly. Id either put it there(not the extrude around it, just the hole) and also model the outer ring correctly with a small incline on the 90? edges, as otherwise, normal map wont read it at all.

Edit 2. Your fuse hipoly adges seem veeeery tight. Exagarate that shit up immensly. Dunno if it got posted before, but search google for "racer.jpg" to see what i mean
Last edited by Doc.Pock; 2013-09-07 at 21:31..
Old 2013-09-07, 22:54   #37
M_Striker

Okay cool, regarding the edges, unfortunately I've chamfered them and I can't undo that as far as I know. I could get the original box shape and then add edge loops in by moving every vertex back and aligning them individually but that would be incredibly tedious. Unless there's an easier way to do this that I'm not seeing, is it worth the effort to do it over again with edge loops? Although, that's something I will definitely take into account in the future. I'm not sure why I didn't do it that way in the first place. :/

I know what your talking about regarding the tight edges on the fuse, just forgot about it . Will fix that up.

And then about the hole on the low poly, It's not part of the silhouette so I assumed it would be taken care of by the normals?

And then are you saying I should modify the outer ring on the high poly to be more angled in order to exaggerate the edge?

Old 2013-09-08, 09:28   #38
Doc.Pock

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Striker View Post
Okay cool, regarding the edges, unfortunately I've chamfered them and I can't undo that as far as I know. I could get the original box shape and then add edge loops in by moving every vertex back and aligning them individually but that would be incredibly tedious. Unless there's an easier way to do this that I'm not seeing, is it worth the effort to do it over again with edge loops? Although, that's something I will definitely take into account in the future. I'm not sure why I didn't do it that way in the first place. :/
yeah, its really tedious getting rid of bevels... you could delete the corner faces, then manually move the edges together and weld them. or search the web for scripts.

always remember this motto when subd modeling. USE ONLY AS MUCH GEO AS YOU NEED TO GET THE SHAPE and a corner is defined by 3 edgeloops at minimum

Quote:

I know what your talking about regarding the tight edges on the fuse, just forgot about it . Will fix that up.
yeah do that

Quote:
And then about the hole on the low poly, It's not part of the silhouette so I assumed it would be taken care of by the normals?

And then are you saying I should modify the outer ring on the high poly to be more angled in order to exaggerate the edge?
it will be taken care by the normalmap (the outer ring) but the hole itself is waaay too drastic to trully work, atleast without the option in refractor for paralax...

do it like this, and always use a slight (30?) angle on surfaces that are only to appear extruded on the normal map.

this must be done due to the way normal maps work and is awesomely explained here:

edit:
here is a topology example of how this ought to be. HP on the right

edit2: (damn i love editing)
the edges on that inset on the top, where the handle mechanism is located are also waay to tight.
reference this:

see how the softer edges hold their shape at all distances. thats what you gain by exagarrating detail. remember, your hipoly doesnt need to look realistic, as long as the baked normalmap does its job.
Last edited by Doc.Pock; 2013-09-08 at 12:44..
Old 2013-09-09, 04:35   #39
M_Striker

Thanks Doc. for the tips. You're helping me out a ton. Although are you referring to these edges that need to be softened?

The angle of the slope itself is such that if I "soften" those edges that whole thing will be a blur!

Old 2013-09-09, 06:34   #40
Doc.Pock

Yeah soften tkose abit. Even if it will look weird on the hipoly, it has to be picked by the normal map...
Doc.Pock is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
3kg, geballte, ladung, weapon, wip, wipww2