project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Factions > Modelling & Animations
17 Feb 2020, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Modelling & Animations Everything but Static Objects

Old 2013-09-01, 19:54   #11
[R-CON]​lucky.BOY
PR:BF2 Contributor
Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to lucky.BOY
Default Re: [Weapon] Geballte Ladung 3kg [WIP]

Hey, nice work so far

Tbh I didnt really expect you to start with highpoly stuff, but looking at the ref again, those details are best made from highpoly model.

You need to decide if you make first your low-poly or your high-poly model. Finish one first and then do the other one. I personally find it better to make lowpoly first, but you can see for yourself which way works better for you.

lucky.BOY is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-01, 23:23   #12
Pvt.LHeureux
-

Waiting for Rhino's post.....

Chuva_RD : You want to remove bugged thing but dont tell how to fill formed void.
Pvt.LHeureux is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 17:46   #13
Doc.Pock

in the end you want the hipoly to look like the attachment and the low poly to be just like a box down there. and do mind this, you need to have that sloped bit for the normal map to take effect. i found it best to be around 30 degrees
Attached Thumbnails
Untitled.jpg  
Doc.Pock is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 19:33   #14
M_Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc.Pock View Post
in the end you want the hipoly to look like the attachment and the low poly to be just like a box down there. and do mind this, you need to have that sloped bit for the normal map to take effect. i found it best to be around 30 degrees
Gotcha, although what sloped bit are you talking about? The curved indent at the top?

Edit: nvm I assume you're talking about the bottom. So you're saying I need the extrude for the high poly but not for the low poly?

M_Striker is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 21:33   #15
Doc.Pock

Yeah. Thats what im saying. Since thos is a small object, an that an even smaller extrude, it can be covered by a normal map no problem. Just make sure to not have a 90 degree edge there. Make it sloped
Doc.Pock is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 22:06   #16
M_Striker

Alrighty cool. So I've decided I'll finish up the high poly since I've already gone down that road. I think I'm mostly done except for the fuse. Do I need to attach the handle and clamp piece to the mesh physically?

The model has a meshsmooth modifier over it and isoline display is checked.

Here's the bottom extrude of the high poly. I think it's sloped enough?

Top View:

Old 2013-09-02, 23:40   #17
[R-CON]​lucky.BOY
Supporting Member

Dont know about newer versions, but in max 9 it is better to use Turbosmooth then Meshsmooth, as it is faster (they say) Dunno how hard is it to switch to it, but may be worth trying.

Also im not sure about the curve on the handle etc, looks like done largely by hand? I Tend to use spline tool to get the basic shape, or just use as few edges as possible and let the turbosmooth figure it out for me

You dont need to weld the highpoly together as long as it looks good and details stay relatively close to where the lowpoly surface will be. This "trick" can be used to make it look connected

It is hard to say with only edged pictures, but on your previous pictures your edges were too tight, too sharp. you always need to exaggerate this a little, so it is noticable after its baked.

It is best to zoom out like here, and you can see that this could as well be a lowpoly. You need to make all edges smoother, so they catch highlight properly after bake.

Oh and isnt it a little bit too tall, comparing it to a ref?

Old 2013-09-03, 00:34   #18
M_Striker

Alright, I switched the modifier to turbosmooth. I never noticed a difference between the two to be honest.

The handle was done by spline, as that was the only way I could get a cylinder of uniform thickness all around. I modelled one half then just copied it over and rotated it to get the other. It does look a little strange looking at it again though, I'll look at it again.

How are these edges, more what you're looking for or still too sharp?

I found the dimensions of the thing posted somewhere and just used those so I don't think it's too tall. Maybe it's the angle of things that's throwing the perspective off.

Old 2013-09-03, 00:53   #19
[R-CON]​lucky.BOY
Supporting Member

This is about what the edges should look like when baked down to the lowpoly, and to get them baked like this, you need to exaggerate them a bit more on the highpoly.

The hole for fuse should be on right side as well IIRC, and make the inside of the hole a cone. Im not sure how to model that on highpoly to get that hollow feel, but if you leave it as cylinder it will loose all its depth in baking (nicely visible from the top view).

Old 2013-09-03, 01:42   #20
[R-DEV]​Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1...widthmodel.jpg

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
3kg, geballte, ladung, weapon, wip, wipww2